Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Short wheelbase vehicles suck for snow/ice.

But if that short wheelbase is a Jeep, it just sucks in general....

You guys definitely get more snow than we do. I'm too far from the Great Lakes for lake effect snow.  I have never had a problem in the snow with my Patriot, Dodge Spirit, multiple neons (automatic and standard), gts, etc.  Her element is probably the single worst car I have ever driven in the snow, and the tires weren't even bad (not snow, but all season and newer).

Yes, they are VQ engines, and still designated as such (VQ35** and VQ37**). I like Toyota/Lexus sedans and Buick sedans. I would dare suggest you steer clear of most T4s and they seem to be using a lot of direct injection on them. I do feel that Toyota has the best implementation of them, but only time will really tell.

Any input on the Subaru Legacy 3.6r? It seems like a nice car and it would be ~35k loaded brand new. The interior isn't great but also not awful. 

Subarus are good cars. They have supposedly addressed their head gasket issues, but I can't say for sure.

Sailor and vanilla Coke tonight.

Wife is about rum and cherry coke tonight.

Edited by dem beats

Yes, they are VQ engines, and still designated as such (VQ35** and VQ37**). I like Toyota/Lexus sedans and Buick sedans. I would dare suggest you steer clear of most T4s and they seem to be using a lot of direct injection on them. I do feel that Toyota has the best implementation of them, but only time will really tell.

Any input on the Subaru Legacy 3.6r? It seems like a nice car and it would be ~35k loaded brand new. The interior isn't great but also not awful.

Subarus are good cars. They have supposedly addressed their head gasket issues, but I can't say for sure.

An old cohort of mine was a Subaru mechanic and he mentioned they had a fuck load of head issues. Mainly the boxers, I don't know much else.

The STI my buddy had was incredibly fun. Faster than his 996s until 90-100 mph.

Smaller than all heck though and looked so stupid with the monster wing on it.

Sti's are stupid fast with a little investment.  I'd avoid anything like pre-2005 for the boxers.

Sti's are stupid fast with a little investment.  I'd avoid anything like pre-2005 for the boxers.

Did heads on a 2009 boxer last week. We are still seeing the problems through 2010 MY... any newer will be warranty, so I cannot comment on the last few MY vehicles.

Good to know.  I haven't noticed as many issues, but my exposure to Subaru is simply what I see popping up on craigslist or a friends car.

Sti's are stupid fast with a little investment. I'd avoid anything like pre-2005 for the boxers.

Did heads on a 2009 boxer last week. We are still seeing the problems through 2010 MY... any newer will be warranty, so I cannot comment on the last few MY vehicles.

Is it a design flaw that means you will just have to keep replacing them over and over? Can you fix it with aftermarket so it isn't a problem.

Can't be as bad as the pre 2000 Northstars can it? 

Sti's are stupid fast with a little investment. I'd avoid anything like pre-2005 for the boxers.

Is it a design flaw that means you will just have to keep replacing them over and over? Can you fix it with aftermarket so it isn't a problem.

Subaru has been blaming the gaskets themselves. I think it is an issue with varying expansion and contraction rates between the heads and block. They are using MLS gaskets, but have redesigned them a few times now.

Can't be as bad as the pre 2000 Northstars can it?

Still seeing Northstars pulling the head bolts out of the block, and no, neither the failure nor the fix is anywhere near as drastic.

Sean,I'm just shocked you posted about the F150. I' didn't see you looking that direction.J

huh? I didn't post anything about an F150...at least not in the past 9 months
Think he was referring to the Sport Track.

If the interior didn't suck I'd like one with boost

Didn't know you were a dyke 

I really enjoyed the G37 coupe. It was heasy to fix, Miami timeowever not thrilling, especially for a small "sports" car. Really slow 0-60 for it's size.

I like both cars actually, but the infinity is nicer. I think the Nissan is nice too.

The build quality and past recalls turn me away from Nissan.  I feel they grew too fast expanding their model line too much and quality suffered.

That was toyota

Short wheelbase vToyotas suck for snow/ice.

interesting. Shortest wheelbase car I've owned was by far the best I the snow and ice. 2nd bestvwas a 944

Subaru does nearly no testing. If it is anything new from them run like help. Trial by customer use is their moto

My short wheel base yota goes good in the snow and ice.

Through the mud and over the hills as well. :)

But I don't like to get it dirty.

Sean, have you been drinking?

no, internet is sucking though so I am on my phone