Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

That is a nice looking knife!

Regrettably this one wasn't as comfy in my hands.

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/premier-10-in.-chefs-knife

tdm0707_1.jpg

I tried EVERY 10" knife they have at Kitchen window. Sharpest wasn't my goal at all, but the most comfortable. In my big arse hands that felt the best with the Global nearing the worst. (I own a full set of Global's Doh.gif)

Julienned and then chopped 2 huge bags of carrots. Left with a bloody finger.

So I noticed that the Altima was sitting out in back of the shop and I decided to go try to reset the computer. I popped the hood to find this, wtf!? There were nuts and bolts laying all throughout the engine bay, there were several different spark plugs laying around. It's in pieces.

0216141338_zps5e50e214.jpg

0216141338a_zps1b35cb55.jpg

0216141338d_zpse88566c7.jpg

Any ideas as to what these idiots did? It is sitting in the parking lot like this...

Didn't cut myself with the blade, but from holding the knife. I am really opposed to blades that aren't rounded a bit on the back.

Hell when mine was apart it was in the kitchen. tongue.png

That isn't how I'd leave an engine

I'm fucking steaming, it will be an interesting confrontation in the morning. I just don't know what to say or do as it is something that I don't know much about.

If it is just the cap then it isn't that big of a deal. Real question is what and why.

If it is just the cap then it isn't that big of a deal. Real question is what and why.

So it isn't as much of a mess as it would appear to a car "idiot" (me)?

What are you trying to cut? I use a 10" French style chef's knife

*off to get a link

Trying and having trouble? Thick onions give me grief and with a longer knife I could slice flesh easier.

Didn't cut myself with the blade, but from holding the knife. I am really opposed to blades that aren't rounded a bit on the back.

Iron cheff badges of courage.

*off to get a link

and with a longer knife I could slice flesh easier.

Dexter-knife-600x345.jpg

Sean,

For clarity I'm using an 8" not a 10".

My wusthofs were 6" and when I tried the 10" it was too much change so I settles for an 8 that was on sale. My technique has flourished, and I find my self looking for a bit more length.

"That's what she said"

No, could be 5 min worth of unwork

*off to get a link

Trying and having trouble? Thick onions give me grief and with a longer knife I could slice flesh easier.

I use the 10" for slicing garlic, strawberries, hand peeling olives etc. I don't really need smaller knives. If I do a lot of something I may grab a specialized blade, but it normally takes me longer to grab than the extra time with the big knife.

What sort of cuts are problematic in the onion? Knife pull through too hard or??

tdm0707_1.jpg

I tried EVERY 10" knife they have at Kitchen window. Sharpest wasn't my goal at all, but the most comfortable. In my big arse hands that felt the best with the Global nearing the worst. (I own a full set of Global's Doh.gif)

Stupid knife handle. I like all of my knives with that traditional D shape from most Japanese knives.

Never tried an octagon though.

Edited by dem beats

No, could be 5 min worth of unwork

Thank you! I don't know what I would do without you guys. I'm just at the point where I'm going to get a damn bus pass. I need to start learning how to work on cars.

Sean,

For clarity I'm using an 8" not a 10".

My wusthofs were 6" and when I tried the 10" it was too much change so I settles for an 8 that was on sale. My technique has flourished, and I find my self looking for a bit more length.

"That's what she said"

I feel retarded with an 8 now. Slows me WAY down. 10 is A LOT to get used to. For dicing onions it is almost scary as you are using the tip of it and generally have that little fleshy spot between your thumb and pointer finger VERY exposed. If it is crosscutting an onion it may be time to sharpen.

tdm0707_1.jpg

Stupid knife handle. I like all of my knives with that traditional D shape from most Japanese knives.

Never tried an octagon though.

I am immune to the shape, just need some size. If you REALLY like the shape you probably need to relax your hand more. Handle portion has nearly no tension on it. It is just a balance point, the work is done with the metal.

*off to get a link

I use the 10" for slicing garlic, strawberries, hand peeling olives etc. I don't really need smaller knives. If I do a lot of something I may grab a specialized blade, but it normally takes me longer to grab than the extra time with the big knife.

What sort of cuts are problematic in the onion? Knife pull through too hard or??

On a larger onion I'm nearly on the heal of the blade. Vidalias or similar are a nightmare unless I make them smaller before mincing. Halves are too big.

The chicken thighs are a great example. There is just enough length to make a slice, if I have the blade a mm short I end up with not enough length to slice through.

Balance is comfort to me. I want to feel like whenever my hand moves the blade follows. I basically chop by feel and only need my eyes to line up the first cut. Before being competent I always thought that chef's who took their eyes off when cutting to "show off" were stupid, actually the opposite. If you don't learn to feel the knife sliding on your knuckles then you haven't learned how to hold the blade yet.

*off to get a link

On a larger onion I'm nearly on the heal of the blade. Vidalias or similar are a nightmare unless I make them smaller before mincing. Halves are too big.

The chicken thighs are a great example. There is just enough length to make a slice, if I have the blade a mm short I end up with not enough length to slice through.

Have you hit them with a stone recently? I realize that is no longer cutting when you push, but I use about 1" of a blade to slice and onion and I am all the way through.