Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Awesome. Got rid of the stupid Intel Bluetooth stack and can now have my phone automatically pair with my carpc when it boots. Once it see's it is paired it starts a wifi hotspot. If I was playing Pandora when I shut the car down it will automatically resume in the middle of the song I was listening too. Buffers enough of the song so I lose nothing with no gaps. From off to music playing is less than 10 seconds. smile.png

It does take about 1 minute to reconnect the internet. If I REALLY want that portion faster I can either trigger the PC to start up when I unlock the doors or prestart my hotspot. I don't really plan on using Pandora while driving all that much though, just figure since I have internet in the dash I should.

Resume of mp3's or HD radio is in under 5 seconds from power on. I am sure there are things I can do to speed up the resume time, but that really isn't awful. Nice ramp up on the volume to.

My setup isn't cheap. Doh.gif

Of course, a 500gb SSD and ultra mini-pc don't help that.

Not sure I want to add it up, but by the time I add processing it'll be $1200 or so. Of course, it is also a replacement for a few hundred bucks worth of gauges and has plenty of other value.

Figured having 90% of what I listen to on an SSD that is used in booting wouldn't suck.

That being said I think my 1yr old Samsung 840Pro in my desktop is failing. Blue screening sad.png

Fucking blows. Can't keep ANY drive in that thing.

Computer has killed at least 8 drives in 10 years.

Luckily my backing up patterns are strong now so restoring is easy.

No matter the fish, scales are not good eats

I know some Koren people who eat them in milk.
I've had intestines, stomach, heart, testicles, lungs, gizzards and other unique body parts in Korean restaurants. Most of those items I'd prefer to scales, but obviously am more than willing to try if someone makes them tasty. Pretty sure if that is the case they could put dirt in the dish and it'd be tasty. I don't need calcium that bad either.Being connective tissue I imagine when broken down they may be lip smackin', but flavor is not something they bring to the game.
Mind telling about the flavors and textures on some of these 'exotic' foods? Also what animals they were from? I've always been curious.

J

If you are curious go eat some smile.png Amusingly, exotic is something I'd use for things like truffles. Liver is mundane, leftover to most people or a sausage filler.

As with any food preparation determines the texture and flavor. If you are curious about something in general I can describe.

My biggest issue is smell. So often they smell just god awful to me. Smells bad, I can't eat it.

Fucking sad isn't it,

J

Taste is something like 60% smell.

That being said, none of the above have never smelled bad to me.

. . . And the reason I will never again try salmon.
Bad smelling salmon is rotten. I wouldn't eat rotten fish.

That all being said, raw salmon is SO MUCH better than cooked. And if raw salmon smells bad DON'T cook it.

Really if any fish has a district fishy smell you shouldn't eat it.
Smelling like the ocean on the other hand is a great thing. The distinct "fishy" smell you are all referring to is rotting.
That's why whenever I'm picking out fish I use my senses. It really isn't rocket science.

Sharing file structure in the car and at home. Helps with updating playlists when you have as much music as I do. Although I am UBER psyched to have it in the car so I can really clean it up. Not about adding songs but just marking the ones I don't want my pc to play anymore.

No matter the fish, scales are not good eats

I know some Koren people who eat them in milk.
I've had intestines, stomach, heart, testicles, lungs, gizzards and other unique body parts in Korean restaurants. Most of those items I'd prefer to scales, but obviously am more than willing to try if someone makes them tasty. Pretty sure if that is the case they could put dirt in the dish and it'd be tasty. I don't need calcium that bad either.Being connective tissue I imagine when broken down they may be lip smackin', but flavor is not something they bring to the game.
Mind telling about the flavors and textures on some of these 'exotic' foods? Also what animals they were from? I've always been curious.

J

If you are curious go eat some smile.png Amusingly, exotic is something I'd use for things like truffles. Liver is mundane, leftover to most people or a sausage filler.

As with any food preparation determines the texture and flavor. If you are curious about something in general I can describe.

My biggest issue is smell. So often they smell just god awful to me. Smells bad, I can't eat it.

Fucking sad isn't it,

J

Taste is something like 60% smell.

That being said, none of the above have never smelled bad to me.

. . . And the reason I will never again try salmon.
Bad smelling salmon is rotten. I wouldn't eat rotten fish.

That all being said, raw salmon is SO MUCH better than cooked. And if raw salmon smells bad DON'T cook it.

Really if any fish has a district fishy smell you shouldn't eat it.
Smelling like the ocean on the other hand is a great thing. The distinct "fishy" smell you are all referring to is rotting.
That's why whenever I'm picking out fish I use my senses. It really isn't rocket science.
First step is to look them in the eyes. Seriously smile.png

I actually normally let the monger pick for me. Amazing what deals you get on awesome shit when you ask the simple question of what they would eat that night if they were cooking. Considering they broke all the big ones down earlier in the day they know. Little fish are easy, but big ones having someone who is really into it helps. If I can touch them it is easy, but through a glass window it doesn't suck to have someone you trust.

Getting to know your local butcher on a first name basis is a great idea, even more important with a fish monger.

Mine all address me as Sean. Usually ask about my boys or snowmobiling. Regularly pull things out of the back for me.

I am also an equal opportunity eater. I'd rather have a super nice whatever over a medium quality of what I thought I was hungry for.

Doesn't hurt when said monger has over 20 types of Sashimi grade fish for sale daily. Cooking any of that is obviously more than ok.

Allows you to flash cook whatever as well which is definitely a GREAT thing

500GB SSD?

Why?

NM. I will never go back to platter drives.

Why yours don't last is weird. I beat the living Fuck out of my SSDs. I'm running a RAID though.

What is your power supply?

Heat could be an issue too..... But SSD creates almost no heat so unless heat is leaching into it, it should be ok.....

When it comes to computer parts I am obsessive. I'm waiting on the 8xx cards to drop and then I might redo my whole system and get on an I7.

Or maybe a dual Xenon rig with the new 12 core hyperthreaded chips. 48 threads FTMFW!!!!

500GB SSD?

Why?

NM. I will never go back to platter drives.

Why yours don't last is weird. I beat the living Fuck out of my SSDs. I'm running a RAID though.

What is your power supply?

Heat could be an issue too..... But SSD creates almost no heat so unless heat is leaching into it, it should be ok.....

In a highly ventilated 19" rack with the computer case open. Not hot in there.

500gb SSD is because I have 700gb of music in mp3 form. 200gb or so I don't "need". Just wanted a single drive until I get things cleaned up. My luck with drives has me not wanting to put another TB of storage in the car. Figured a single drive would make me happier for now. Nothing on it to backup but the operating system. That is easy and I mirror to the home PC...just have to leave the car on acc in the garage while it does it, lol. Or plug in my external HDD which would fit in the case as it is a 2.5 and would hold what I need. Figured I'd rather have it as a transport drive.

My SSD's last half the time that platter drives do. sad.png

When it comes to computer parts I am obsessive. I'm waiting on the 8xx cards to drop and then I might redo my whole system and get on an I7.

Or maybe a dual Xenon rig with the new 12 core hyperthreaded chips. 48 threads FTMFW!!!!

CarPC is an i5, 8gb Ram, 500gb SSD, 8.1Pro

I hate fucking around.

Listening to "hair bands radio" on Pandora for the past two hours on it, rofl