Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

God bless Red Green

Wow that is old, I used to watch that every week.

Looks like the 2.7 in that car is a lemon in general. I remember reading that when I got it. Fuck.

Chrysler?

They had the water pump weep hole that leaked into the crankcase. When the water pump leaked it washed the bearings.

So, hard was and is recommended by uneducated doctors.

It all starts from when the first mattresses that used springs were in use. They were 3-4 layers of springs with a thin cotton, or wool pad on top. It was more sanitary than the old stuffed down/wool/etc mattress of previous centuries. Also where the term sleep tight comes from I guess. Leather belts held the system together so you would make sure it was tight before sleeping.....

Anyway these systems could be repaired and we're expensive. It was a huge investment of the average persons income. They could last decades though because of the ability to replace the top pad and the giant coil systems. Then comes industry and the innerspring mattress. The innerspring is called that because it was unique at the time to have springs INSIDE the pad. They were now an inseparable unit. They also couldn't be repaired. They were simple systems, but modular. You could put that mattress in your home without needing the specialized bed to match. Get the size right and your good. Nothing to mount.

Well they were made cheep, but cost about the same as the old beds. They wouldn't last. So from the 20's-50's people slept on horseshit, but felt it should last 30 years like those old turn of the century crazy beds because they cost the same. This was despite it was becoming less and less of the average Americans income.

So in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's doctors and chiropractic people told their patients to buy a harder bed. Thinking it will last longer and be a better investment for their back. At that time foam was such shit softer foam was probably less dense, they also used cotton and will as a pad too. All that shit compressed bad.

So it became doctrine that hard was better, this was also a time when doctors told patients what cigarettes were healthy and what ones were not. Idiots with good intentions in power.

Well they wanted to sound smart so they used the word firm. That word not conotates support. It's the bane of my existence. Even my company uses the word firm, as they came about in the '80's.

So if someone told you to buy a hard or firm bed it's a shit load of hogwash that was sold to patients to make docs look smarter.

Our back is a 3 dimensional curve. Stressing it to be on a flat hard surface is the opposite of support. It's stretching and compression.

If you are a side sleeper like most, you are even more fucked. Shoulders and hips create intense pressure points. On a hard bed, your tissue yields between bone and hard surface(aka way too had of a bed). If it's even harder yet, or you will cause your hips and shoulders to be off axis and possibly Lloe your spine to sag between your shoulders and hips. Ouch. Best case on a hard bed, you cut off circulation. Worst case is you cause your spine to compress and stretch all night.

Best case in that scenario is you toss and turn and sleep like shit. Worst case is you exasperate a spine problem.

It all starts from when the first mattresses that used springs were in use. They were 3-4 layers of springs with a thin cotton, or wool pad on top. It was more sanitary than the old stuffed down/wool/etc mattress of previous centuries. Also where the term sleep tight comes from I guess. Leather belts held the system together so you would make sure it was tight before sleeping.....

Anyway these systems could be repaired and we're expensive. It was a huge investment of the average persons income. They could last decades though because of the ability to replace the top pad and the giant coil systems. Then comes industry and the innerspring mattress. The innerspring is called that because it was unique at the time to have springs INSIDE the pad. They were now an inseparable unit. They also couldn't be repaired. They were simple systems, but modular. You could put that mattress in your home without needing the specialized bed to match. Get the size right and your good. Nothing to mount.

Well they were made cheep, but cost about the same as the old beds. They wouldn't last. So from the 20's-50's people slept on horseshit, but felt it should last 30 years like those old turn of the century crazy beds because they cost the same. This was despite it was becoming less and less of the average Americans income.

So in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's doctors and chiropractic people told their patients to buy a harder bed. Thinking it will last longer and be a better investment for their back. At that time foam was such shit softer foam was probably less dense, they also used cotton and will as a pad too. All that shit compressed bad.

So it became doctrine that hard was better, this was also a time when doctors told patients what cigarettes were healthy and what ones were not. Idiots with good intentions in power.

Well they wanted to sound smart so they used the word firm. That word not conotates support. It's the bane of my existence. Even my company uses the word firm, as they came about in the '80's.

So if someone told you to buy a hard or firm bed it's a shit load of hogwash that was sold to patients to make docs look smarter.

Good stuff to know.

I may just have to spring for a good foam mattress in the future. The girl and I tend to be side sleepers. Granted on a bad night my stomach is the most comfortable.

J

So you are saying I should buy a sleep number

Looks like the 2.7 in that car is a lemon in general. I remember reading that when I got it. Fuck.

Chrysler?

They had the water pump weep hole that leaked into the crankcase. When the water pump leaked it washed the bearings.

Dodge Intrepid.

Oil gunk issue?

I'll make you one for half price with an old Coleman inflatable mattress I got out back.

Time for that Porsche.

Lulz. Gotta figure out that financing...

Second job?

J

Our back is a 3 dimensional curve. Stressing it to be on a flat hard surface is the opposite of support. It's stretching and compression.

If you are a side sleeper like most, you are even more fucked. Shoulders and hips create intense pressure points. On a hard bed, your tissue yields between bone and hard surface(aka way too had of a bed). If it's even harder yet, or you will cause your hips and shoulders to be off axis and possibly Lloe your spine to sag between your shoulders and hips. Ouch. Best case on a hard bed, you cut off circulation. Worst case is you cause your spine to compress and stretch all night.

Best case in that scenario is you toss and turn and sleep like shit. Worst case is you exasperate a spine problem.

Good stuff to know.

I may just have to spring for a good foam mattress in the future. The girl and I tend to be side sleepers. Granted on a bad night my stomach is the most comfortable.

J

Just buy what is comfortable and err on the side of soft. If you like the tempurpedics, get one. Don't buy into the knock offs unless you also come to terms with the fact it won't last as long.

Spring beds are the same.

I'll make you one for half price with an old Coleman inflatable mattress I got out back.

I guess I..... Deflated that idea.

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

Ford has some stupid as Fuck finance shot going on now.

F-150 isn't on the menu so no raptor I guess.....

Explorer sport is though.

Good stuff to know.

J

Just buy what is comfortable and err on the side of soft. If you like the tempurpedics, get one. Don't buy into the knock offs unless you also come to terms with the fact it won't last as long.

Spring beds are the same.

That's the thing, for me so many are comfortable in store, but then at sleep time, I over think it and wonder if I picked correctly.

J

Do the tempurpedics need to be on a special frame or would a wooden slat bed be okay?

J

I tell everyone that if it has slats, just put a sheet of plywood over the slats. It may not help much if at all, but it can't hurt.

Considering the movers lost my slat screws, it sure as hell would.

J

Ford has some stupid as Fuck finance shot going on now.

F-150 isn't on the menu so no raptor I guess.....

Explorer sport is though.

Their website says the F-150 is on the menu, just not the Raptor edition.

J

Matty, what advice do you give to people who have no idea what matters they like?

I have them try 3 beds. Soft medium and hard. One of them will feel better. Then we try the beds in my store that have a similar feel.

I usually have then try a tempurpedic and now the IQ beds...