Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Honda gets 30+mpg. My f350 with a 460 on the other hand gets 12 if im lucky. Granted the truck gets the same towing/hauling as it does empty.

I'm surprised you even get double digits with the 460.  

My '72 International Harvester military bus with a 396ci did 6 mpg. Loaded or not. 

Going to see Ziggy Marley and FUN. on friday. Shall be interesting.

If I was doing a new car for town commuting i would very hard at a prius.

Why? MpG isn't that good. It's hyper expensive. Too much shit to go wrong and isn't comfortable.

Comfort is crazy subjective however.

My buddy gets 27mpg in his 350....

And same story, it doesn't change much when hauling.

Why? I thoroughly enjoyed driving my buddies older 350. And they are much better now.

You just blew up one piece of shit, why trade it for another?

So on dependability, MPG's, service costs, drivability, and comfort who makes the best 4x4 truck now? Gas or Diesel are both options.

J

MPG would be a Ford with Eco-Boost, but no way in hell would I own one.

Dodge/Cummins for everything else.

The eco boost is a no go. One of my guys had three new eco boosts in under 2 years with normal driving, no towing, no offroading, and oil changes per the book.

I do a decent amount of 'in town' driving (45 mph but traffic lights) in a week, but would like to have something better for the longer (1-5 hr each way) road trips. Keep in mind these trip usually has me driving. 5 adults and wrestling gear in the bed of the truck as well. I could be open to the idea of another SUV but nothing strikes my fancy. Plus we are looking at picking up a ring which would turn into towing a trailer with a ring and such as well.

J

I am assuming a diesel. Which engine?

J

It sure isn't a new one.  

I get 22 mpg in my '14 Silverado crew z71. Even better at 55mph.

We have high mph highways here.

I get 13-15 in mine. Doesn't change much regardless what I do.

Nice MPG's

J

If I was doing a new car for town commuting i would very hard at a prius.

Why? MpG isn't that good. It's hyper expensive. Too much shit to go wrong and isn't comfortable.

Comfort is crazy subjective however.

In town a Prius gets amazing mileage. I see in town cars averaging 54mpg, and all around cars averaging 45. Honestly, I don't see a lot going wrong with them. The Gen2 units eat water pumps every 75K or so, but outside of that they never break. I have seen them with 300K with the original brakes... as they rarely use the pads for stopping. Granted, the batteries will fail, but I see the failures at ~175K on average. I have a Camry Hybrid torn down right now for a battery build and it has 386K on it...

Comfort? Meh, it's a Toyota. They are so-so, but not extremely memorable to the good or to the bad side of things.

I hated them when I first started really working on them, but now that about 20% of my workload are Priuses (we run heavy direct marketing to hybrid owners, and I do all the hybrid work in the shop), I have to say that I am actively looking for one (gen 2, maybe a 97). For me, rebuilding the battery will only cost ~$50, and they are extremely reliable.

FWIW the average rebuild on the batteries is $1400, with replacements at $32-3600. It is essentially the same cost, and has the same life expectancy as most automatic transmissions. However, finding someone who rebuilds them isn't very easy, as I am one of very few in the country who does it.

I HATE yellow, and vehicles that look like a Ferarri, but are not the proper color.

Does that go for all EcoBoost?

I drove the company fusion last week and really enjoyed it. The EcoBoost blew away the Cruze engine in terms of power and we got about the use mpg

They should all be fuel efficient, and have decent power. Turbocharged DFI is really the best way to dig power and economy out of todays engines.

I am not recommending them, by any means. I am still a bit standoffish about DFI systems with the issues I have seen... and we are taking Ford here; where quality is job none.

Get up at 5:45am, hit the gym around 6am. Move some weight for an hour then head home at 7am to hop in the shower for work. Out the door at 7:20am, drop kids off at school and drive 30 minutes to work. Work from 8am to 5:15pm then head out on the road to field call customers (drive to the house of delinquent customers and pound on their door demanding money, mafia style). Drive 200 miles doing that, get home around 8:45pm. Have enough time to poop and change so I can leave by 9pm to drive 15 miles one way to pick my daughter up from dance. That gets over at 9:30pm so probably won't get home until between 9:45 - 10pm. Sit down and finally eat supper, try to hit the sack by 10:30pm so I can get up the next morning and DO IT ALL FUCKING OVER AGAIN.