Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Hair dryers hommie.

It's all about them hair dryers.

And twin/tripple screws.

I assumed that's what boosted meant. Making sure I wasn't missing something.

I apologize Ryan. I can be painfully analytical sometimes. 

What i was trying to ask is, advancing the timing should boost the vacuum correct? And is the result of the engine running hotter?

1902736_10152663326666512_77568061063952

Fuck!! I will never look at my quart of chocolate milk for the commute to work the same madsign.gif

Jared

Possible the fuel pump isn't wucking enough fuel on demand? Taking a sexond or two to catch up to the request for more fuel?

J

And J, you can get by with much cheaper knives.  I bought exclusively based on fit.  The MAC is cheaper.  There is a price point worth stepping into though.  Below that restaurant depot knives win.

What would you consider that price point?

Keep in mind I am a huge fan of Cutco, and Wustoff (spelling??) in the past. I won't be buying them for a few years unless something odd changes.

I still hate that buying is cheaper than renting down here,

J

Cutco is absolute crap.  And yes, I have a set so this isn't from opinion but experience.  They are my "boat" and camping knives now.

Wusthoff has both good and bad knives.  Generally speaking they are really heavy and uncomfortable though so I am not a fan.

Price point is a hard one.  Idiotically most people buy a knife set for $200-300 if you spent $150 of that on a Chef's knife and then bought some other cheaper knives to go with it you'd be way better off.

P.S. In my cutting example of usage I was NOT including steak knives at the table, nor shit knives I use to open packages.

My knives are in storage atm.

The Cutco's were a wedding present from a friend of over 10 years who worked there at the time. The other set (Kitchenaid I believe) was something the ex picked out.

I won't be buying knives for another year or so, but was curious as to what I should look for.

J

And J, you can get by with much cheaper knives. I bought exclusively based on fit. The MAC is cheaper. There is a price point worth stepping into though. Below that restaurant depot knives win.

Keep in mind I am a huge fan of Cutco, and Wustoff (spelling??) in the past. I won't be buying them for a few years unless something odd changes.

J

Wustof. I dated a girl whose mom was the head of sales at the time, i believe she was promoted since then but she gave me a 17cm knife... LOVE that knife.

J - you aren't hearing any knock are you?

I am not following the jump from Temp to Vacuum.

From what I know, the ideal gas law states.  PV=nRT 

Therefore more cylinder pressure = higher temp.  You can surely adjust your pressure with spark timing and along with it pressure.

As for vacuum, it is created by the piston moving up and down.  The carb restricts flow of air causing there to be vacuum.  In a completely efficient engine the rate of flow of air would be the overall displacement of the engine multiplied by the number of strokes it takes during that time.  The only time then you should have "positive" vacuum is when you are not delivering that much air via some restriction.  Obviously at idle you will have more since the throttle/carb is nearly closed.  

I see that as efficiency, so on one aspect less heat = more efficiency and more efficiency has more capability to "suck" air but I am having a problem connecting the two.

I am far from a guru on anything engines in the cause and effect realm, but something I'd like to learn more about.

And J, you can get by with much cheaper knives. I bought exclusively based on fit. The MAC is cheaper. There is a price point worth stepping into though. Below that restaurant depot knives win.

J

Wustof. I dated a girl whose mom was the head of sales at the time, i believe she was promoted since then but she gave me a 17cm knife... LOVE that knife.

That is a garlic knife.  Nearly useless size...

With a little skill you can use a 28-30cm knife for the same tasks.

It's nice to see you guys discuss cooking.  With my current lack of a relationship, so little time at home doing home like stuff aka cooking/cleaning, and no one else to really cook for, I have lost almost all motivation to cook. 

I know the feeling bro!

I ca

J - you aren't hearing any knock are you?

I am not following the jump from Temp to Vacuum.

From what I know, the ideal gas law states.  PV=nRT 

Therefore more cylinder pressure = higher temp.  You can surely adjust your pressure with spark timing and along with it pressure.

As for vacuum, it is created by the piston moving up and down.  The carb restricts flow of air causing there to be vacuum.  In a completely efficient engine the rate of flow of air would be the overall displacement of the engine multiplied by the number of strokes it takes during that time.  The only time then you should have "positive" vacuum is when you are not delivering that much air via some restriction.  Obviously at idle you will have more since the throttle/carb is nearly closed.  

I see that as efficiency, so on one aspect less heat = more efficiency and more efficiency has more capability to "suck" air but I am having a problem connecting the two.

I am far from a guru on anything engines in the cause and effect realm, but something I'd like to learn more about.

Just realize I didn't segue very well.

Timing can influence the pressure which will change the temperature.  When you make the temperature hotter at the same load you are decreasing efficiency and therefore I'd guess you make more vacuum.

So yes I'd say you can manipulate vacuum with timing, but using vacuum as a judge of timing is a bad idea.

I think I about have the holley carburetor figured out. I have the idle circuit dialed, I have the transfer slot circuit dialed, and appropriate size jets and power valve.

The vacuum drops to almost 0 when I punch it. I would say there is more likely hesitation than a bog. I believe I should install a larger Excelerator pump nozzle, to introduce more fuel quicker.

Ryan or anybody else have input on this?

Stock cam?

Does it fall instantly, or gradually, or at high rpm?

I may be wrong as I was just trying to understand your comment and that is my forum version of a verbal ramble 

All for myself...Taco salad tonight!! smile.png

">http://20150414_203457_zpsgeu3sv2j.jpg

">http://http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/mikel7829/media/20150414_203335_zpsw04twmx8.jpg.html'>20150414_203335_zpsw04twmx8.jpg

Taco shells do taste like shit!! Kinda like chewing on a scrap piece of MDFsad.png  But it was fast and I do what I can for working the hours I do smile.png

J

That is a garlic knife. Nearly useless size...

For what i, and her husband (a gourmet chef) use that size knife for, it's more that enough of a knife to cut what we (usually) make. Seems pretty presumptuous to assume we are carving turkeys or slicing a ham with that tool. Thats just the knife we feel most comfortable using for most of our projects.

J

That is a garlic knife. Nearly useless size...

For what i, and her husband (a gourmet chef) use that size knife for, it's more that enough of a knife to cut what we (usually) make. Seems pretty presumptuous to assume we are carving turkeys or slicing a ham with that tool. Thats just the knife we feel most comfortable using for most of our projects.

Nice gift man.

J

Kitty kinda scares me with the lazy eye..lol I don't know of she is growling at me or something in the back yard..lmao

The 5% I left out earlier covers the carving turkeys or ham.  I can do that with my chef's knife sure, but there are better knives for that task as well.

Your taco meat needs pretty much the exact same love as your chili, just slightly different quantities.