Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Your cam may be advanced ir retarded depending on sprockets.

Wait, are you saying I should be on the short bus?

Your cam and carb are too big. Factory heads will not flow, wait. Are they HiPo heads?

My understanding of the combustion engine, is that the vacuum is created by the thermal dynamics of the engine. From my understanding the timing is what controls where the heat is in the motor. This affects the cacuum being pulled through the Venturi.

On a Holley carburetor all functions except for the Excelerator pump are vacuum operated. The Excelerator pump is controlled mechanically with the throttle linkage. There are three variables to Excelerator pump, the diaphragm, the linkage Cam and the squirters.

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

Vacuum is created on the initial stroke which fills the cylinders. The up stroke compresses the air/fuel mixture. Spark ignites the mixture which forces the piston down or the power stroke, then final stroke back up is to exhaust the gases and empty the cylinder to begin again.

Poor choice of words on my part. Should've said, vacuum strength can being manipulated with timing. Without overthinking it, I believe this is because of the thermal aspect. Am I wrong in theory?

I am pretty keen on the four cycles btw, but still appreciate your knowledge. smile.png

Cam timing yes. The reason you hear "big" cams having a lopey idle is they are struggling to stay running due to valve overlap. You have both valves open at the same time, but not fully, and vacuum quickly ,goes away. This is why some radical cars need to run a vacuum pump.

Temp of course will affect it as well, but cam timing is the big determining factor.

Yes it has a very lumpy cam. Did not realize both valves are opening at the same time, big clue. Unfortunately I do not know the cam specs.

I started with the timing at 12 degrees before top dead center at idle (factory spec), and it had hard start and was sluggish. Moved the timing to 18 BTDC, and was better, now at 28 BTDC at idle and starts good, and runs like a rapped ape at higher rpms. I changed the mechanical to only advance 8 degrees and all in by 2000 rpms. So idle is 28 and advanced total timing is 36 degrees. Did I get carried away with the idle timing? What benifit does a race car get from locking the timing out at 36, with no advance? Can the cam be clocked when installed, throwing me off?

Ambient temp could play into it. I started setting everything up in the winter. That's another factor I forgot.

If you're running fine and not getting any knock, I wouldn't worry about your timing. Just be aware hotter air is less dense and more prone to preignition.

Your cam may be advanced ir retarded depending on sprockets.

So you are saying I may need to back the advance off bc its warmer ouside now? How would the cam sprocket play into the equation, or how could it effect me?

If you are detonating, pinging, knocking, etc, back the base timing a couple degrees or run higher octane. ignitiin has nothing to do with your vacuum issues though.

On the plus side, I got to watch Ivy whoop ass in tennis yesterday!

20924_868630609867393_869020676067283673

Those mountains.... flat land is so damn boring!

I found a set of 289 hi-po heads on a 302 that had a rod slung out the side of the block under a tree of this work on a a/c I done or this old woman she said I could have it sold the heads for $250.00

Your cam and carb are too big. Factory heads will not flow, wait. Are they HiPo heads?

IDK if they are HiPo, but highly doubt it. Was a 2bbl stock iirc. 

Heres the thing Ryan, cousin is a moron. I have not met him yet. BUT based on the rest of the car, I am sure he went all tweeker on it, and just threw the cam in there. "Dude, its ready for the track maaaan!!!!", were his exact words when BIL got it from him. And believe me, there was nothing ready about the car. 

I just test drove. Now need to reset the idle curb speed bc its stalling stopped in gear. No hesitation though!!!

So here's where I think I'm at. I don't know shit about how its built, other than the heads are to small for what I am trying to achieve. I may just be chasing my tail trying to tackle this on my own. I think my best resource is to go talk to a person at a local engine shop. 

It's nice to see you guys discuss cooking.  With my current lack of a relationship, so little time at home doing home like stuff aka cooking/cleaning, and no one else to really cook for, I have lost almost all motivation to cook. 

Hopefully you can go visit mom when you need a home cooked meal. 

Didn't you know, we renamed the hop Seans food network.

My mother stopped cooking too.  She does small prepared meals through out the day.  My sister, on the other hand, is a great vegetarian cook.

20924_868630609867393_869020676067283673

You would feel SOOO claustrophobic nestled in these mountains. :D

It's nice to see you guys discuss cooking.  With my current lack of a relationship, so little time at home doing home like stuff aka cooking/cleaning, and no one else to really cook for, I have lost almost all motivation to cook. 

Hopefully you can go visit mom when you need a home cooked meal. 

Didn't you know, we renamed the hop Seans food network.

My mother stopped cooking too.  She does small prepared meals through out the day.  My sister, on the other hand, is a great vegetarian cook.

Your sister and I would get along great. I practically live on veggies!

You're really not the only one, that's the current situation I'm in right now.

I love to cook but I hate only cooking meals for me and I'm not super into left overs.

You're really not the only one, that's the current situation I'm in right now.

I love to cook but I hate only cooking meals for me and I'm not super into left overs.

I love leftovers, said no one ever. Learning to make smaller batches is key.

You would feel SOOO claustrophobic nestled in these mountains. biggrin.png

I can't imagine ever having claustrophobia, agoraphobia possibly, though the closest I've come to that is big sky at night. I was raised in the Appalachian mountains.  I miss the mountains but not enough to put up with the cold just yet.  

Aaron just needs to come up and spend time cooking on the Egg. :)

This whole deck thing is crazy. Final prices before discounts are $4946.00 for everything! 

Might just say fuck it and stick with all treated and do 2x6 decking and use nothing but behr sealing products.

The behr products seem to work very well compared to other I have tried. I just don't like their deck over products.

This whole deck thing is crazy. Final prices before discounts are $4946.00 for everything! 

Might just say fuck it and stick with all treated and do 2x6 decking and use nothing but behr sealing products.

Mine comes up to almost double that. ouch

I am just going to paint the rear deck, but will still trex the front when I rebuild it. I am thinking the textured paint might last a little longer. Haven't picked a brand yet though.

You would feel SOOO claustrophobic nestled in these mountains. biggrin.png

I can't imagine ever having claustrophobia, agoraphobia possibly, though the closest I've come to that is big sky at night. I was raised in the Appalachian mountains.  I miss the mountains but not enough to put up with the cold just yet.  

Snowbird?

Where trex REALLY shines is as handrails, but that's added cost.

Like almost $1,800 for this deck.

Come on up. We can cook all weekend.

Sounds like a plan.

If I knew I could find summer employment in Colorado I would quickly become a snow bird.  The gf and I have actually been debating it but her line of work probably wouldn't be forgiving. 

Talked to step brother. He says install a smaller carb for starters. He is not a fan of holley's either, and thinks thats 1/2 my problem. and then the smart route after that's change cams, for street-ability. So basically re-rebuild the top end. Tear it down and get an engine builders advice, and possibly just hand the job over. (most likely at this point)

Come on up. We can cook all weekend.

Sounds like a plan.

:)

If I knew I could find summer employment in Colorado I would quickly become a snow bird.  The gf and I have actually been debating it but her line of work probably wouldn't be forgiving. 

Cost of living here is high, as with where you are at I assume. The best route is cater to people in aspen for a seasonal job. Depending on your skills. A lot of the jobs are outdoor activity related.

Like almost $1,800 for this deck.

I debated breaking up the cost by doing sections over the course of the next few years. But in reality I don't care THAT much, so it will just get painted. I will still do trex on the front deck though. As it gets heavy traffic and is a pain to repaint.