Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I am chevked into the hotel. Has a kitchenette so want to cook wifey a personable dinner. Any suggestions for something that can be bought in the right portion, and easy to prepare with limited kitchen? I am thinking spaghetti or crab legs. Heading to the store here in a minute...

Carbonara gets the panties off quick.

So does a good risotto.

You will be plowing fields fosho!

I am chevked into the hotel. Has a kitchenette so want to cook wifey a personable dinner. Any suggestions for something that can be bought in the right portion, and easy to prepare with limited kitchen? I am thinking spaghetti or crab legs. Heading to the store here in a minute...

So does a good risotto.

Carbonara it is!!

I'm winging here Matt, not a dish I've made. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe.html

Can I use crab for the protien?

Grade A Tube Steak smothered in underwear

So does a good risotto.

Carbonara it is!!

I'm winging here Matt, not a dish I've made. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe.html

Can I use crab for the protien?

Need bacon or pancetta. Serve the crab as an appetizer.

Didn't read the recipe, but generally have a lot of faith in Tyler. Should be fine.

Sean is absolutely correct.

Tyler did a good enough job.

I also never add the egg and cheese to the pasta in the pan. I add it to a serving bowl or to the individual eating bowls depending on how you want to plate.

Traditionally I only used yolk and discard the whites.... But I have become lazier lately. Just make sure the egg is really mixed or else the white will cook solid. That's gross for this dish.

I use the whites.

If you want to separate just do it in your hands. Way easier to let the white slip through your fingers than ANY kitchen utensil.

Fresh herbs are the king. Doesn't hurt to have something acidic with it as there is some fat to cut. In particular if you do crab first...

Adding to the pan is fine IF you don't have a rip roarin' pan (ie should be below the temp of the pasta when it goes in) and you stir like the dickens as it goes in. Any "cooked" egg that isn't cooked by the pasta will be gross.

I do it in my serving bowl as well btw

Flat leaf parsley please, not that goofy american bullshit

There is one good use for the goofy american bullshit though. It makes spectacular tempura.

Probably my favorite thing to batter. Seriously. Of course, probably related to the comment above I made about herbs.

Best way ever.

J

Nothing to compare to. Sure I will do better next time though.

Im sure this whole floor is craving noodles and garlic right now. :D

Perfect timing too. Finished eating 10 minutes before needing to walk up to the theater. Waiting outside now, my homeboy is suppose to get us in early.

Had to buy a trash 10 dollar chef knife at the grocery store. Dull after the first clove.

Thank you guys. I knew the carbonara was perfect as soon I read the recipe. She loves that kind of food. :)

Best way ever.

J

That is SO MUCH slower than using your hands.  Way, way, way.

Plus cracking many eggs into one container isn't a good idea.  Pain to crack them into one bowl and dump too.  Just crack in your hand and 3 seconds later MAX it is in a bowl.  UBER easy.

Go buy 5 dozen eggs to use as a training exercise.  Crack ALL of them with one hand.  By number 40 you should be able to do it without using a second hand.  Well worth the $5.  Not for Carbonara but for anything.