Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Sean can you do any fingerstyle work?

Never had any experience with it and just started trying it. I knew I would struggle but holy cow is it demoralizing!!! 

You mean finger picking?  Or you mean finger tapping?

Either are fine.  I took classical lessons for 11 years and in high school played Eruption while hosting the battle of the bands during a set change to keep the crowd entertained.

Pick work is what is demoralizing to me.  The stupidly easy 3, 8, 3, 4 open E pattern in Holy Wars is just not playable for me anymore.  I can't say that I spend much time practicing it, but that is also because it pisses me off since I can't nail the damn rhythym.

The other day some of you were talking about grass-fed vs corn-fed cattle in terms of taste and nutrition. I found multiple papers that showed some differences in fat composition and antioxidants. The authors didn't imply anything in terms to health, just said this is what we found, which is as expected. The differences in fat composition were insignificant in terms of health, but the amount of antioxidants found in the grass-fed cattle meat was. So what happens? A bunch of fucking idiots with blogs write that the grass-fed meat is healthier due to more antioxidants and cite the study as proof. Only problem is they don't know the antioxidant was an enzyme and when eaten is going to be cleaved the fuck up, so the point is null.

And they taste bad.  Same stupid fuckers that bred all of the flavor out of the cattle in the US.  The level of hatred I have for these fucks is not measureable.
The place we like to by meat from has local cows that they say are grass fed and grain finished and they are amazingly tasty. They don't have prime marbling, but I've accidentally overcooked the steak before and it was still extremely tasty. Of course, this is all compared to Walmart beef... (yes I can't stand it, and no, there's not really a better place in town. Yes, I know that is sad.)

When I see the pictures of the beef you ate in Japan, it looks amazing, but it makes me wonder how healthy that animal could have been. And don't you think the healthiness is somewhat "passed on" to the consumer? Maybe not.

Animals are super healthy.  Have to realize they have a wicked short life when grown for meat.

If cows have no marbling they taste like ass compared to ones that do.  Seriously.  And yes, Walmart meat is inedible.

I can agree with all this. The meat at Sam's club isn't too bad, but still would prefer a real butcher.

J

Not to mention you get pimped on the weight per price ratio at wally world then getting it processed yourself,I do like the Kroger rib-eye steaks when they have them on sale I will not lie.. I usually get 3 nice thick ones for a fair price here smile.png

Price matters, but only to a point. If the quality is superb, then I will gladly spend the cash.

J

Here is some grade A-5 you can buy locally.

http://www.costco.com/D’Artagnan-Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast-A-5-Grade.product.100082950.html

This is a piece of art, but at that price point, I cannot justify the purchase.

J

Me neither by the lb, by the ounce in Japan though I am ok.

I am doing everything I can to not email on the guitar you found J.  Would make a great 2nd guitar for drop tunings lol.  Currently my old Ibanez is in Eb

Just email him Sean. He might be willing to drop a bit lower since you would be flying in.

J

I really don't need 2 metal axes though....and I currently have 2 lol.

That and my travel schedule is jacked.  I couldn't really get there until July.

Asia this week and next, home for 4 work days then off to Germany for a week.  Then home for a week, then vacation for a week, then Boulder for a week.  Then its 4th of July vacation.

Somewhere in there I need to put the super charger on my truck and finish the stereo/carputer install

Rlp is really the one. Cosmetically slightly flawed as some water got o. The aluminum cone. Nowhere else though as it was sealed up. Shipping is always the bitch with subs

Soundsplinter. It's a TC9 IIRC.

Soundsplinter. It's a TC9 IIRC.

Yes.

And now that I am not in a hot tub typing on my phone, lol.  My washer overflowed upstairs, water ran downstairs.  Sub was facing up in a box.  Water collected on the cone and sat in the sub for a couple days as I was out of town and my wife didn't see it.  Discoloration on the center of the cone with no functionality troubles.  Comedy of errors, but it is otherwise fine and mechanically perfect.

Anyone downloaded iLivid?  Multiple live streams for the NHL games use it.  I figure it is probably okay then.  Some bad reviews online, but that is the norm for any software.  I'd prefer to watch the game instead of just listening to it.  Will be in my hotel the whole time it is on....

Frostedflakejake, on 22 Apr 2015 - 1:32 PM, said:

snapback.png

Never had any experience with it and just started trying it. I knew I would struggle but holy cow is it demoralizing!!! 

Either are fine.  I took classical lessons for 11 years and in high school played Eruption while hosting the battle of the bands during a set change to keep the crowd entertained.

Pick work is what is demoralizing to me.  The stupidly easy 3, 8, 3, 4 open E pattern in Holy Wars is just not playable for me anymore.  I can't say that I spend much time practicing it, but that is also because it pisses me off since I can't nail the damn rhythym.

I can't believe I'm having a hard time finding a video to accurately describe this. My lack of understanding probably stems from the one "fingerstyle" artist i saw live playing in a certain way.

What I mean is kind of like playing a guitar like a piano, where you have both a harmony and melody element existing simultaneously. This requires great finger picking work (what i'm struggling with). I imagine your classical training would help you exceed at something like this.

Kinda like the first few seconds of this:

https://youtu.be/CJ0pFGHdEcU?t=227

Somebody bought a new book today.

11169824_872564542807333_541054392789747

Nothing like a good ole' Haynes manual smile.png I would love to find some of the mid 60's and 70's editions just to have.

Haynes blows ass.

Frostedflakejake, on 22 Apr 2015 - 1:32 PM, said:

snapback.png

I can't believe I'm having a hard time finding a video to accurately describe this. My lack of understanding probably stems from the one "fingerstyle" artist i saw live playing in a certain way.

What I mean is kind of like playing a guitar like a piano, where you have both a harmony and melody element existing simultaneously. This requires great finger picking work (what i'm struggling with). I imagine your classical training would help you exceed at something like this.

Kinda like the first few seconds of this:

https://youtu.be/CJ0pFGHdEcU?t=227

Amusingly that for a Youtube link you picked a song I played for a recital YEARS ago :)  Fingerpicking is the right term.

What book?  I see stickers, a spark plug & socket and a glass pipe.

What book?  I see stickers, a spark plug & socket and a glass pipe.

You do not see the book that has been around for 50 years huh2.gif

Here's another song I've played, but by someone who makes me feel absolutely retarded on the guitar.  Great rendition and someone absolutely worth paying to see live!

And THAT is finger picking.  Probably makes uber classical guys shudder, but his mastery of the guitar is really amazing.  

He does all sorts of pop and makes the original artists look retarded

And what I wasn't sure you meant when you said finger style was this:

That I get all muddy and messy.  Figured picking something of a genre you could relate to would be at least interesting.  Jazz musicians blow my mind...pop music bores the ever living shit out of me

Some more "approachable" Tommy.  Playing some Jimi

It amazes me what sort of arrangements he can pull together playing both the rhythm and lead at the same time.

It's guitar players like that which made me quit guitar as I realized I will never be able to play.  Not sure why I was worried about success so much 20 years ago. :(  I lost 20 years of playing due to my ego and libido.