Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Genetics can play a huge role in muscle shape. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, it's just how your body develops.

Classic example being having the perfect "peak" to your bicep. Some people just naturally have it, others can train for years and never achieve it. Just genetics.

Yup, but my newly found bulging belly isn't genes. When I was more muscular and much leaner my abs didn't push away from my frame.

Huge fat deposits under my abs could be the cause. It could just be some ongoing gas, or some inflammation from something. Lack of sleep might be part of it

You could get a DEXA scan for pretty cheap and see how much fat you got there. I got two for like $150 or something.

I have GH gut basically. Belly curves outward making my fat belly look much fatter than it is.

When doing bench for example, are your feet on the floor or are your knees up to force your back to stay flat?  (I do the later) 

I have GH gut basically. Belly curves outward making my fat belly look much fatter than it is.

When doing bench for example, are your feet on the floor or are your knees up to force your back to stay flat? (I do the later)

I lift like a power lifter for the big 3. I can try adding the knees up bench to my routine.

Sometimes after a good chest day I'll do a burn out set with knees up and light weight for 20-40 reps.

Genetics can play a huge role in muscle shape. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, it's just how your body develops.

Classic example being having the perfect "peak" to your bicep. Some people just naturally have it, others can train for years and never achieve it. Just genetics.

Yup, but my newly found bulging belly isn't genes. When I was more muscular and much leaner my abs didn't push away from my frame.

Huge fat deposits under my abs could be the cause. It could just be some ongoing gas, or some inflammation from something. Lack of sleep might be part of it

You could get a DEXA scan for pretty cheap and see how much fat you got there. I got two for like $150 or something.

Never heard of this. I might check it out.

My core really feels the pain from my ab and core workout.

It could just be my body being sedate for so long my core is loose and sloppy.

There is serious inflammation all around my core from what I would consider a mellow work out.

Thanks for the tip about the scan.

I'm shooting a wedding in PR in February so I'm trying to flatten up as much as possible.

:-D

When doing bench for example, are your feet on the floor or are your knees up to force your back to stay flat? (I do the later)

I lift like a power lifter for the big 3. I can try adding the knees up bench to my routine.

Sometimes after a good chest day I'll do a burn out set with knees up and light weight for 20-40 reps.

I am not trying to change your form, just offer a suggestion.  As when I am pushing for 1RM, my feet drop to the floor and my back starts to arch for which my abbs are pressing outward with the arch.  This supposedly is part of the reason why big power lifters get extended abbs.  I am always trying to keep my back as flat as I can on the bench regardless of movement.

That is a really great tip Aaron and exactly what I was looking for.

I'll keep a mental note of how I hold my abs while pressing.

My routine style is basically identical to Mike O'Hearn. Big lifts like a power lifter, then isolation and focus.

Thanks a ton! I never thought about the fact I'm flexing my abs while lifting with them pushed out.

If I'm lifting really heavy I could probably pull my hips off the bench. Just shoulder blades and feet planted to be stable.

Hi!! smile.png

That is a really great tip Aaron and exactly what I was looking for.

I'll keep a mental note of how I hold my abs while pressing.

My routine style is basically identical to Mike O'Hearn. Big lifts like a power lifter, then isolation and focus.

Thanks a ton! I never thought about the fact I'm flexing my abs while lifting with them pushed out.

From a core stand point, I believe it is about how the abbs are being flexed, one way they are kind of pushing with to help with max press, and the other way is more about controlling your core from twisting once you have the weight in hand.

When lifting heavy I breathe in as I power the weight and have traditionally held the air and squeezed against it.

I am not trying to change your form, just offer a suggestion.  As when I am pushing for 1RM, my feet drop to the floor and my back starts to arch for which my abbs are pressing outward with the arch.  This supposedly is part of the reason why big power lifters get extended abbs.  I am always trying to keep my back as flat as I can on the bench regardless of movement.

A ton of powerlifters do the arched back style bench. Turns the exercise in to more of a whole body lift rather than a chest lift.

hqdefault.jpg

Braced core is the key to any heavy lift.

helps a ton with stability too

I am not trying to change your form, just offer a suggestion. As when I am pushing for 1RM, my feet drop to the floor and my back starts to arch for which my abbs are pressing outward with the arch. This supposedly is part of the reason why big power lifters get extended abbs. I am always trying to keep my back as flat as I can on the bench regardless of movement.

A ton of powerlifters do the arched back style bench. Turns the exercise in to more of a whole body lift rather than a chest lift.

hqdefault.jpg

That's absurd. I don't see that as being stable but I'm not competing either.

Not entirely necessary either. Plenty of people have pulled off 4,5, even 6 plate bench presses with the flat back method.

World record para Olympian is doing 700 lb lifts with no back arch due to not being able to use his legs.

World record para Olympian is doing 700 lb lifts with no back arch due to not being able to use his legs.

I want to make a joke about how not being able to use his legs means his other muscles are at a natural advantage but I feel he could probably punch my dick off.

Also.....I just got home at 6;10am.

33 year old men don't party this hard right?