Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Haven't been here for a while, I see we got some changes.

Any idea why my Unread Content looks so weird ?

Clicking "Edit this stream", "Show expanded/condensed view" does nothing.

ii.png

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

It's good for leaning that's for sure. I wish people would let go of film however. 

Its over.  It just is.  If you are an established pro, cool, embrace. Otherwise, stop being silly.

Great for training... Maybe.... Good for use in than Real world... Unless your using medium format and need insane sized prints.... And even then.

ISO, quality AF, software are all miles past. I guess it's good for them to use it as a teaching tool, I'm just over it. I know so many pro photographers and not one of them would ever reach for film unless it was some weird fucked up project.

Tubes and vinyl are dead, too.

You have a point.

I feel like in a school setting that it's a lot mode about teachers masturbating themselves talking about how times were tougher but better etc etc.

Edited by dem beats

6 hours ago, dem beats said:

It's good for leaning that's for sure. I wish people would let go of film however. 

Its over.  It just is.  If you are an established pro, cool, embrace. Otherwise, stop being silly.

Great for training... Maybe.... Good for use in than Real world... Unless your using medium format and need insane sized prints.... And even then.

ISO, quality AF, software are all miles past. I guess it's good for them to use it as a teaching tool, I'm just over it. I know so many pro photographers and not one of them would ever reach for film unless it was some weird fucked up project.

It isn't even good for learning.  Grabbing a prime and forcing the same settings you may have been limited too with film, sure, but the lack of a fast review makes the learning experience labored.

6 hours ago, The enD said:

Haven't been here for a while, I see we got some changes.

Any idea why my Unread Content looks so weird ?

Clicking "Edit this stream", "Show expanded/condensed view" does nothing.

ii.png

It is annoying and I am sure scaring off potential members...

3 hours ago, sandt38 said:

Tubes and vinyl are dead, too.

I would disagree with that statement completely.  I have more tubes in my office than solid state for amplification.  Of course it is also where I play guitar and it epitomizes the discrepancy between the two.  

I have been going through a painful change in my life where I'm turning into a distinctly different version of myself.

It's frustrating, as I was good at being the old me.  I am however so much better at handling everything around me.  It's this fucked up trad off.

My goal assesments are better. I see the puzzles better. I'm calm in situations that at a stressful because I'm able to engage my brain in a note deliberate way.

The best part is that when I have made a choice, I'm good with it. No weird unjustified regret that used to come with some interactions. 

I feel all 46 & 2 and whatnot.

13 hours ago, Godsmack said:

It's insane to see how my understanding of photography has progressed during this semester by shooting 35mm with no flash, only one lens, and a short time frame.

J

It helps not having an infinite amount of oops that digital gives a person.  

On 3/29/2016 at 4:40 PM, ///M5 said:

$100, small enough to tuck under a seat and 500w for a pair of 4ohm subs

http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-ST4-1000D-Stealth-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00K6ON4EO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41KKDjauPyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=021EEKX6HC52CK4Z94K3

I'm tempted.  Guess is that it will be fully potted like a marine amp and could be useful later in life as a 4 channel.

I've read they're a bit overrated but the size is still pretty sweet. 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_77155_Precision-Power-PPI-A1000.4.html

Edited by lithium

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I would disagree with that statement completely.  I have more tubes in my office than solid state for amplification.  Of course it is also where I play guitar and it epitomizes the discrepancy between the two.  

I was being a facetious. I have more tubes than I do SS in my home and vehicles, and last year vinyl sales outpaced CD sales for the first time since the 80s.

My point is that the purist will always return to the early medium. Could you see Ansel Adams with a DSLR? A purist might enjoy the challenge of film, where you find it a waste of time. It is kind of like me in my business. I almost never use air tools. I am a hand tool guy. People always say how much quicker they are then me because of my "medium". But they are sorely mistaken. Very few people can keep pace with me. I look at the task at hand, quickly analyze what I will need to use and do to perform my job, and I do it far more efficiently than most guys who are all elbows and arseho trying to be fast. The purist may look at the challenge and take a risk based on their analysis of the situation and shoot that shot that you may miss as you view it and decide on it on your LCD screen. Don't get me wrong, I am with you in that digital is my choice over film too, but I am not a skilled photographer by any means.

My point is, I can see the romance in film over digital... it reminds me of the romance of vinyl. Digital music is so hands off, while vinyl requires a more personal attention, from cleaning albums and needles, to replacing needles, dropping needles, resetting tone arms, and everything else that goes into it... I can dig the passion of film.

9 hours ago, dem beats said:

I feel all 46 & 2 and whatnot.

Awesome! Best descriptor ever!

1 hour ago, sandt38 said:

It's the only thing I can describe it as.

Just some internal evolution, just it's causing a lot of problems in my life lol

2 hours ago, lithium said:

I've read they're a bit overrated but the size is still pretty sweet. 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_77155_Precision-Power-PPI-A1000.4.html

PPI > Soundstream IMO.  Specwise it seems to be the same board....or so I would expect with recent history anyways.  That ought to mount under the seat ok.

Under rated comment is funny, if it is 70% there then whatever :)

I was being a facetious. I have more tubes than I do SS in my home and vehicles, and last year vinyl sales outpaced CD sales for the first time since the 80s.

My point is that the purist will always return to the early medium. Could you see Ansel Adams with a DSLR? A purist might enjoy the challenge of film, where you find it a waste of time. It is kind of like me in my business. I almost never use air tools. I am a hand tool guy. People always say how much quicker they are then me because of my "medium". But they are sorely mistaken. Very few people can keep pace with me. I look at the task at hand, quickly analyze what I will need to use and do to perform my job, and I do it far more efficiently than most guys who are all elbows and arseho trying to be fast. The purist may look at the challenge and take a risk based on their analysis of the situation and shoot that shot that you may miss as you view it and decide on it on your LCD screen. Don't get me wrong, I am with you in that digital is my choice over film too, but I am not a skilled photographer by any means.

My point is, I can see the romance in film over digital... it reminds me of the romance of vinyl. Digital music is so hands off, while vinyl requires a more personal attention, from cleaning albums and needles, to replacing needles, dropping needles, resetting tone arms, and everything else that goes into it... I can dig the passion of film.

I can too, but it doesn't help you learn.  Simplifying the task at hand into understandable pieces does.  Was just more fun to completely agree and to bolster it with something as absurd as a simple guitar amp....which amusingly there are no SS solutions for that work.  It is fundamentally so simple to do that everyone who tries compounds it in a way that complicates and ruins the overall simplicity.

Btw, recently bought a 65 remake of a vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb.  Find myself playing through it instead of the Jackson even for heavy tones exclusively because it isn't so gain happy.  Damn Jackson on .05 is so pucking loud you have to leave the damn room.

Obviously my analog pot doesn't go that low.....which is the problem.

And a rare example of polyrhythms in rock

20 hours ago, dem beats said:

Trust me it was a shocker to me as I was assured film was 'done' as of last semester at this school. Wrong I was. That being said, it has taught me a lot more about how to properly use aperture, using ambient light, and framing. With digital you can take a shot 100 times and loook for the right image quickly. With film, it takes more time, and effort to see your results. Is it more labor intensive? Yes. But for me, it has been useful.

I'm just on a tight time table for this night project and the final project. It's not a bad thing, but I do find parts of film frustrating. Especially the potential to completely fuck a roll with bad development oof the negatives. I will say, I appreciate the effort of film much more now than I did before, but after this class if I pick up film again it will be entirely too damn soon.

J

On 3/24/2016 at 6:44 AM, topgun said:

Clear pvc will discolor outside.  Gets a brown tint too it.  

Gets brittle as fuck too

Considering making a charcoal kiln/retort now...mmm, fire...

Oh and hey, I'm back.:goyou:

Flying in to BWI for pre-employment testing next week. Should be a hoot.

http://i.imgur.com/nrEK4vo.gif

5 hours ago, Penguin4x4 said:

Flying in to BWI for pre-employment testing next week. Should be a hoot.

http://i.imgur.com/nrEK4vo.gif

LOL!