Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On 10/1/2016 at 9:24 PM, nem said:

So I have built two boxes .71 cubes @58 hz for 8ohm evil mids and after about 6 hours of play time I am loving how they sound. Now I am currently looking for a tweeter and I am looking at these and planning on crossing them @ 2.5K what do you all think would be the best option?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc28fs-8-1-1-8-silk-dome-shielded-tweeter--275-075?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

http://www.parts-express.com/morel-mdt-12-1-1-8-neodymium-tweeter--277-060?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

working on a similar project. went with the daytons and grabbed the prefab box from PE when they were on sale. drivers dropped in without issue. I'll mess with the enclosure volume and tuning as I go. 

unfortunately, the project is on hold as I'm having issues with the amplifier. I tried to DIY it with a 4 channel sure amp board and power supply from PE but its really noisy. Not sure what I'm going to do with it at this point, troubling shooting points to the amp/power supply as my Dayton dta120 (that I use for my TriTrix MTM towers) is noise free. I might have to cut my losses and return the amp and take a hit on the power supply since i scratched up the bottom pretty bad.

I also need to figure out the Active XO. My original plan was to use my pc and some software to do it but windows will not output audio to multiple devices at the same time. So I'll be grabbing a minidsp. 

complete debacle 

Neal what is driving you to those tweeters?

I am also curious why you are set at 2500Hz without having said tweeters.  Curious if you have the processing as well.  There are tons of potential tweeters, I'd just like to know how to help you narrow them down further as I am not sure I like either of the choices you have so far....but I also don't know why you chose them so perhaps my desires are different than yours.

I was looking for a decent tweeter on the cheap. My power is a Yamaha 797 2x100 watts. As far as the crossover point I figured 2.5k would be a good starting point. I have no processing, but would be building a passive crossover to go in the box. What ever I do I need to stay in the 8ohm range. I am open to anything really, just those tweets fit the cheap part.

I can post some pictures of the boxes tomorrow. Running the Evil mid full range currently and wanted to add a little on the top treble wise.

21 hours ago, topgun said:

Got my new Aircat gun in, bolts still laughed at it.  Now I have to do it the hard way.  

I love my breaker bar WHEN it fits. 

Working on cars I still haven't found anything tighter than some bolts on the backhoe. I still have a 5 foot breaker bar for serious stuff. 

Had to use a slugging wrench to pull wheel nuts off the Forklift when I fixed the broken kingpin.  A 8-10ft wrench wouldn't do it.  

Torque multipliers FTW!

A 3:1 is on the list of things to buy.  

15 hours ago, Impious said:

Thinking of getting a tattoo.  Would be my first one.

I like the idea of a biomechanical tattoo, either on my shoulder-to-upper back, or down the spine.  

What makes you want one?

I'm thinking of a lotus blossom.  Maybe I'll put it on my lower back and just go full basic white chick style.

55 minutes ago, dem beats said:

What makes you want one?

I'm thinking of a lotus blossom.  Maybe I'll put it on my lower back and just go full basic white chick style.

:doit:

Here is what they look like if that helps.

IMAG0604.jpg

IMAG0603.jpg

Thank you Matt.

Going to add them to the garage system so people can listen to them is various positions. 

I would really like to build some desktop speakers.  

One for my computer desk, and another for my the bedroom. 

I would like the bedroom speakers to sound as big as floor standing speaks though.  Mid/bas bias.  If I could do it cheep enough I would just make like 10 sets and give them as gifts and put some in any room I wanted sound.  It's been a project way back in my mind since the dawn of my DIY interests.

I didn't think a bookshelf could fill a room, then I heard the B & W Kevlar bookshelfor rig and the NHT classic 3.  The classics were so bright it was tough for me at louder levels.  But those B&Ws were amazing.  Just $$$$$$$

You always know you're at Atlanta Int'l. because the whole damned airport smells like fried chicken. Gawddamn.

Edited by Penguin4x4

Nissan Sentra counts as midsize in the rental car world, apparently.

Aww, it even has traction control and a Sport mode. I appreciate the optimism Nissan, but...seriously?

Not sure what I did, but my fuck upped knee, lower quad complex is in agony.

Swollen all to shit.

Edited by dem beats

21 hours ago, nem said:

I was looking for a decent tweeter on the cheap. My power is a Yamaha 797 2x100 watts. As far as the crossover point I figured 2.5k would be a good starting point. I have no processing, but would be building a passive crossover to go in the box. What ever I do I need to stay in the 8ohm range. I am open to anything really, just those tweets fit the cheap part.

I would highly recommend having active capabilities to listen before building a passive.  Nothing quite like trying many crossovers over and over before nailing the passive.

3 hours ago, Penguin4x4 said:

You always know you're at Atlanta Int'l. because the whole damned airport smells like fried chicken. Gawddamn.

And you look around and think you are in a walmart.  Hartsfield is so full of inbred nonsense it is scary.

3 hours ago, Penguin4x4 said:

Nissan Sentra counts as midsize in the rental car world, apparently.

Surprised, I figure they would call that a full size.  That market is ABSURD

Neal, should really flush mount those...

As for tweeters, in the $30 range I'd probably lean on the XT25 from Peerless.  Pretty sure Peerless still makes a $15 or so large format as well.  The Dayton you linked underwhelmed me although the Usher made Dayton's are awesome.

When I do the cut out for the tweeters I am going to rout in the face just deep enough so the mounting ring is flush with the baffle. I will look at the tweeter you suggested, but someone insisted on sending me a pair to use. He twisted my arm so to say.

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Surprised, I figure they would call that a full size.  That market is ABSURD

When I picked up the charger, a Chevy Malibu was also in the full size class.  I blame it on the death of the big sedans.