Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Not that you got it taken care of, but had to.

The one thing that eludes us, we can't buy more of, and can't ever get back!

Time, make the most of every second you are alive.

Typical Sean :Doh:

Need a loop pedal $50, almost bought a double so I started to shop for a power supply .  Found those for $170, but wiring one is a pain without a pedal board ($50 in wood), always swore the next visible box I made would be machine dovetailed, so I started shopping for a dovetail jig ($100-holy fuck) which magically led me to think of upgrading the router extension on the table saw (fuck me 2x).

I need a Rockler coupon.

Found this months 10%...but that may not be enough, lol

Probably should just do it in raw birch ply like my speakers.

baltic-birch-tray-detail.jpg

Joy oh joy. One more semester after this. At least for this degree. Sadly my Toshiba laptop from 2014 (bargin blowout priced too) is no longer hacking it for photos, and I need some new glass. 

Sadly this is where I take the damn student loans to get make the investment in my future, snd to get myself back on track.

J

Hang with it.  Light at the end of the tunnel is bright

7 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Joy oh joy. One more semester after this. At least for this degree. Sadly my Toshiba laptop from 2014 (bargin blowout priced too) is no longer hacking it for photos, and I need some new glass. 

Sadly this is where I take the damn student loans to get make the investment in my future, snd to get myself back on track.

J

Are you going to use the student loans to buy some camera equipment to make some more $$$?

If so, I'd advise coming up with a budget before you figure how much student loans you will get. If it's easy peasy to get $5K it will be easy to spend $5K on equipment.

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Hang with it.  Light at the end of the tunnel is bright

I won't quit. Just not in me to leave this undone. It is worth every moment.

11 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Are you going to use the student loans to buy some camera equipment to make some more $$$?

If so, I'd advise coming up with a budget before you figure how much student loans you will get. If it's easy peasy to get $5K it will be easy to spend $5K on equipment.

I've been making a budget for everything. I need to pay some debts immediately, and make a cushion for myself. Especially since I have to take the summer off.

As for equipment, barring a massive deal, the ONLY piece I am buying brand new will be my MacBook Pro. Yes I know there are ample windows computers that can do the same shit, blah blah blah. Unfortunately in this line of work, Macs are the way to go. Especially when my current college uses them exclusively in this program, and any serious school I have looked at also uses them exclusivel. 

As for glass, the 70-200 2.8 VRII, and possibly - 24-70 2.8 are on my list. While I have a great pair of primes, my mediocre zoom lens must go ASAP. I know with proper maintenance, storage, and protection glass can easily last 20 years. To me it is another great investment. Also a proper flash.

Finally is a set of studio strobes, umbrellas, beauty dishes, and some softboxes. I am looking at AlienBees from Paul C. Buff. Great gear, decent pricing, easy to find used. The Profoto, and other companies can be a little harder to come by, a little less friendly on the pricing, and the CS can be a bitch. That being said, if someone has a connection they wouldn't mind setting me up with, I have no objections. 

I grabbed the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II a while back.  Holy hell is it great!

I cannot even imagine with a modern better focus system... What a murder machine.

I watched Browne's video on YouTube about protraits and focal length and it brought a perspective I hadn't though of before. That is the amount of background is less as the focal length increases.

My question is, how does aperture affect that in conjunction. (IE would a 1.8 at 50mm be better or worse than 2.8 at 70?)

Also, what should I be setting aperture at when taking pictures out and about? Let's say I was taking a photo of my home or maybe a passing car.

Amount of background is poor wording but I hope it gets the point across.

13 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

I watched Browne's video on YouTube about protraits and focal length and it brought a perspective I hadn't though of before. That is the amount of background is less as the focal length increases.

My question is, how does aperture affect that in conjunction. (IE would a 1.8 at 50mm be better or worse than 2.8 at 70?)

Also, what should I be setting aperture at when taking pictures out and about? Let's say I was taking a photo of my home or maybe a passing car.

Link to the video please.

Im not sure what you are asking, but I base my photography on portraits of people in motion.  I rarely pose.  I think i capture people well, and even more important, what feeling I wanted from that moment.

Mike, I am not 100% comfortable posting pictures here but maybe we could find a different way to compare shots.  I would love to help with finding your concept and style, and I'll help with any technical skills I can.

70% of my shooting is juat gorgeous women though so.... Yeah it makes me look pretty good.

:-D

38 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

The amount of background is less because there is less background.  Better to think about framing the same picture with 2 different focal lengths instead of something arbitrary as that will confuse the scientist in you into a non-optics discussion but an artistic one.

As for what to shoot your stuff at, that depends.

Really there are 2 choices though.  The stuff in between are all compromises.

Choice 1: blurred background.  Smallest fstop possible of course without blurring too much.

Choice 2: everything in focus.  IIRC that lens is the cleanest around f11 so for shots where you want your car to be in focus and the house behind it, f11 is a good starting point.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:11 PM, dem beats said:

Just depressed.  Thank god for good Bordeaux.

Anything I can do, other than make suggestions on Northern California red's?

13 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Anything I can do, other than make suggestions on Northern California red's?

Resolve my financial, occupational, and love life?

any tips on young women and how to deal?  Maybe just tell me about that wine and ill drink her away...

lol

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

Resolve my financial, occupational, and love life?

any tips on young women and how to deal?  Maybe just tell me about that wine and ill drink her away...

lol

Not sure on the all but the wine.    Great value under $15:

GCUSACabernetSauvignon1.png

Looks like a good start Aaron!!!

:-)

im just tired gents. Ill be ok.