Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I can't drink any longer.  Even beer is just no longer good to me.

20 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Best to stick to cola, pills, and girls anyway.

Ethanol will kill you.

10 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I watched Browne's video on YouTube about protraits and focal length and it brought a perspective I hadn't though of before. That is the amount of background is less as the focal length increases.

My question is, how does aperture affect that in conjunction. (IE would a 1.8 at 50mm be better or worse than 2.8 at 70?)

Also, what should I be setting aperture at when taking pictures out and about? Let's say I was taking a photo of my home or maybe a passing car.

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

The amount of background is less because there is less background.  Better to think about framing the same picture with 2 different focal lengths instead of something arbitrary as that will confuse the scientist in you into a non-optics discussion but an artistic one.

While there is less 'background' there is a way to compare the two. However it's not apples to apples. It's strawberries to potatoes. 

The bokeh will be different, and the DOF will also change greatly as well. Additionally unless you are shooting at a solid point, what you get from the two lenses will vary greatly with just the apature as well as the lens size.

J

13 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I grabbed the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II a while back.  Holy hell is it great!

12 hours ago, dem beats said:

Its the best lens ive used.

12 hours ago, dem beats said:

I cannot even imagine with a modern better focus system... What a murder machine.

Had a chance to use one at the Outback bowl for a few shots. Great piece of glass. That being said, I think the 70-200 VR II would be it's equal and in some situations possibly greater. That being said, Canon and Nikon is like Chevy vs Ford.

J

My terrifying untethered view of the day, 40+ feet off the ground. I don't think OSHA would be happy if I was in the states.

HMkczcF.jpg

I don't think they'd be happy about that cord with no ground either.

25 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

I don't think they'd be happy about that cord with no ground either.

I was using that to hold the 30+ pound coupler around my shoulders while I scaled the mast, lol.

18 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I am sorry.

14 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Had a chance to use one at the Outback bowl for a few shots. Great piece of glass. That being said, I think the 70-200 VR II would be it's equal and in some situations possibly greater. That being said, Canon and Nikon is like Chevy vs Ford.

J

This is a common missconception.  The Nikon does not even reach a teue 70-200.  It has a lesser focus, and the glass isnt nearly as good.  

The new Canon lens is not like what was available before.  Its flat out amazing.  I shoot FF so i get MUCH more use than a portrait guy with a crop sensor.  Even still, its god damn magic.

Geothermal owns.

7 hours ago, dem beats said:

This is a common missconception.  The Nikon does not even reach a teue 70-200.  It has a lesser focus, and the glass isnt nearly as good.  

The new Canon lens is not like what was available before.  Its flat out amazing.  I shoot FF so i get MUCH more use than a portrait guy with a crop sensor.  Even still, its god damn magic.

How can you say it's not a true 70-200? What series lens are you looking at and where did you find that out?

The Canon lenses I have checked out have been new and within the last 7 months. 

Again, I look around at what is at my events and what I see others using. Everyone has their preference, but your claims have me curious.

J

Putting in a dual fuel heat pump at work in the next few weeks.  

38 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Heat pump yo!

:P

36 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Geothermal owns.

Fuck both of you.

$15k will get me out of this cheap :(  .... and that is not for geothermal.  Big AC and furnaces don't meet the efficiency guidelines for getting me jack.  Needing a 135k BTU furnace and 4.5 tons of AC blows donkey.

J - it is irrelevant if you have made your choice.  

That being said I literally went in and shot Fuji & Nikon before buying the 70-200.  I figure spending that much on a lens wouldn't cost me all that much to completely change platforms. (replacement - selling mine of course)  So I tried with mostly open eyes.  I say mostly as I wasn't as eager to swap to Nikon as Fuji, but I was surely eager to not own the Canon 70-200.  It is FUCKING HUGE.  That sucks.  That suck is the only suck it has though, the rest is somewhat magic.

J the comment about it not being actually 70-200 was from an OXO mark rating for true mm.  

That was more me digging at their quality control.  A low dismissive comment so, my bad for that.  Sean is right its more the magic of using it.  It could have a worse focal length issue amd it would still be better.  I also tried the whold trio and mirrorless.

32 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Photography in the Round Table

Glad you said something, I would have missed the pr0n

2 more furnace companies today and then I get to buy a car I never see :(

At least the last one actually sent an Engineer.  Finally feel like I know something and can trust we are okay.