Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On 3/15/2017 at 7:58 AM, MKader17 said:

I'm glad you have had good experiences. My dad had a blowout that will keep me away from them. We switched to Hancook Dynapro ATM and I got over 60K out of the last set on my truck.

I have the dynapro's on my stock wheels and they are noisy and cupped like a son of a bitch. Not saying that they are not a good tire, but I will not buy them again.

I've been using 303 aerospace on my interior and I freaking love the finish it gives. Clean and not glossy or slick.

I'll have to give that a look

Any tips on cleaning "porous" black panels? The rockers on my wife's santa Fe and my bumpers are that type of surface and I can never get those rockers to look super clean.

And don't get a speck of wax on them or your screwed.

33 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Any tips on cleaning "porous" black panels? The rockers on my wife's santa Fe and my bumpers are that type of surface and I can never get those rockers to look super clean.

Carnuba wax

ROFL

32 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

And don't get a speck of wax on them or your screwed.

Guess I should have read ahead

before pulling your leg.

The biggest problem I have with that is that the black grays over time.  Mothers black restorer seems to work, but I too would love to know another product.  Mothers stuff in general frightens me.

303 is great.  I use it on my boat as well.

I take my car the carwash and call it good.  It'd be nice if I had time/desire to do the whole wax thing again, but I haven't waxed a car in years.  Hell I'd probably pay someone to do the whole thing if I knew someone who'd do it right local.  

I enjoy it...but usually only once a year.  When a lot of correction is needed over and over it gets frustrating.

If you do it once a year it does not take as long. 

Plus I get to spend time in my garage.

Best 2x a year...but I live in the snowless wonder so nah

Cleaning that plastic can be a pain.  There are so many textures and differing types of plastics.  I use mineral spirits if I buy a used car and there's residue on them.  You can seal them with a polymer or ceramic and never have to worry about them though, until said sealants wears off of course.  Never use an organic wax on it unless you buff it right off immediately.  Even then, it will haze over time.  If you are retailing often enough this is a non-issue.

The BEST solution is clear coat.  Unfortunately, it's too costly for auto manufacturers, so we're left with the raw plastic finish.

The coatings industry has become so far advanced it's almost hard to find bad paint and care products anymore.  It's all about how you use them.

When I was learning to cut and polish, you had a big ass polisher with many wheels and compounds.  Fast forward 25 years and you use one compound with about 4-5 pads with a nice light orbital polisher and that will get you anywhere you need to be.  

I use M105 M205, and Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant for polishing. The M105 though can 80-90% of what I need though. 

May just go M105 and sealant on my truck.

My plasma blew up this  morning.  It was pouring smoke and Gavin got SO scared he jumped up, threw on a coat and was out the door before I knew what was going on.  It was hilarious.

Best Buy has an LG 49" 1080p I'm picking up for $350 to hold me over for a couple weeks, so I'll ask. . . 

Anyone have any experience with 70" or larger panels?  I have no need for 4K, or even 1080, but the technology is there for what I'm looking at.  I'm a Samsung fan, but I've read that the upper echelon LG and Sony offerings are great too.  

I currently have three 50" and one 32" Samsungs.  Well, two 50s now.  Lol.  

I have a 70" Sharp.  1080p paid $700 for it 3 or 4 years ago.  It has been great.  At this point the smart tv stuff on it is a wee bit antiquated, but I don't use it since I have a Roku.

I am getting the wife a Roku today. 

The garage has been 2 major things in my life.

1) where I go to get away and do....

2) where my friends that smoke hang out

Amusingly I have been using an old Pio Elite receiver and a pair of Kicker 6.5's.  No idea the series, but their top line 8 or so years ago.  Tracy sent me a set to try for free with an L7 which is what is the sub in the garage.

Have them in some "truck" boxes I built to fit on my sister's boat dash.  Sound good WHEN you are in the sweet spot which is really small (what a surprise, lol).  Which is why I post.

Contemplating a non-sweet spot based install confuses the shit out of me.  Lol

Obviously on my workbench I want it to sound good.    Near field shit would fuck up everything else, far field is WAY the fuck away across the garage.  Ceiling is well gross.

Yep, fucked.  Not for the same reasons as the car, but still.

On 3/16/2017 at 1:14 AM, ///M5 said:

My last few cars I was damn lucky to see 15k

A few days ago I took a look at my rear tires (they have under 200 miles + one rallysprint event) and the leading edges on almost all of the chunks are rounded off. I guess trying to accelerate out of a sharp turn on an open diff is not good on the tires :(

Then there was the disappointment to find out my Miata does not have a Torsen diff :(

I got stuck on the last Jeep trip. 

5J0A0586.jpg

Mostly driver fault, as I tried to get out slowly and only slid down. But I'm still going to buy mud tires for such occasions. 

Which reminds me, I need recovery points on the front. 

To spend $100 on stock recovery points or to spend a couple of afternoons fabricating something? hmmm....

5 hours ago, Adrian_D said:

I got stuck on the last Jeep trip. 

5J0A0586.jpg

Mostly driver fault, as I tried to get out slowly and only slid down. But I'm still going to buy mud tires for such occasions. 

Almost always driver fault....of course when you have to choose between getting stuck and breaking your shit I am not sure I would call it fault.

5 hours ago, Adrian_D said:

Which reminds me, I need recovery points on the front. 

To spend $100 on stock recovery points or to spend a couple of afternoons fabricating something? hmmm....

Custom forge your hooks! You can make some awesome ones.

The forging process is pretty awesome. I have a coworker who has bee making knives and other goodies. He has been taking classes on the art and does amazing work by hand.

He just recently acquired a Little Giant power hammer that we are rebuilding so he can use it. 

Similar to these.

Related image