Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

That looks like it's ready for a t.v. promo!

Can't get over that shine!:phatyo:

Not elites, unfortunately. Just Ti12D subs. One is unopened, still sealed in the bag. I may just keep them.

3 minutes ago, Jay-C76 said:

That looks like it's ready for a t.v. promo!

Can't get over that shine!:phatyo:

Thanks. It looks better then the day I took possession of it with 6 miles on the odo.

5 hours ago, sandt38 said:

smDSC_0283.jpg

smDSC_0288.jpg

smDSC_0290.jpg

smDSC_0295.jpg

smDSC_0303.jpg

smDSC_0304.jpg

smDSC_0307.jpg

smDSC_0314.jpg

smDSC_0316.jpg

Sky

smDSC_0320.jpg

Reflection in the hood.

smDSC_0321.jpg

smDSC_0324.jpg

smDSC_0326.jpg

smDSC_0327.jpg

smDSC_0329.jpg

Wow! Can I ship my Miata to him? :lol:

Thanks, fellas!

And Mike, he has a recommendation in Amarillo if that is close by.

That is just bananas.

5 hours ago, sandt38 said:

Thanks, fellas!

And Mike, he has a recommendation in Amarillo if that is close by.

If you consider Philadelphia close to you then yes, that is close by :P

If he wanted to, I would love to know the products (I'm not sure if you mentioned them outright, I'd have to review).

Basically, my truck sits outside and gets washed once to every 3 times that my wife's car gets washed. If I could give it one amazing wash/wax/etc (as in 1/3 of the effort this guy did, but would take me 2x as long) and have minimal upkeep for a few years I'd be estatic.

I did a crazy good wash wax on it many years ago and I can still see the efforts of my labor when I wash it, but it's time to do it again and I have less time then I had then.

Google search ceramic paint sealant.  That's your best bet for ultimate protection for a vehicle that sits outside and sees minimal care.  There's a myriad of product available and they all do the same thing.  I personally don't care for them;  I prefer a polymer sealant instead, but I clean my vehicles frequently.

By how Seth has described it, his car and wheels have received a ceramic coating.  It actually creates a molecular bond with the paint that will take years to wear.  It's also easy to screw some up, and if not perfectly clean, anything under the coating is trapped there.  Some have even caused issue with some paints, reactions with cleaning chemicals, etc.  If you choose the ceramic route, do your research and try to stuck with a brand that has it's process laid out start to finish, preferably purchasing a kit.

That car is so clean it actually makes me feel bad for helga.

I actually just got into a less than 5mph and scuffed her chin on both sides.  Any tips for sanding and buffing down modern plastics?  Is it the same as it was 10 years ago and i just sand, feel, then polish?

I would always polish first before sanding.  Once you use an abrasive going back is tough.

You're backwards.  You sand then polish, just like paint.

Matt, is the plastic painted or clear coated?  Can you post a picture of the damage?

I know....but I would polish and then see if I need to sand first. I like to start less aggressive if possible.  Lots of stuff I thought I would have to sand I didn't once polished.

33 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

You're backwards.  You sand then polish, just like paint.

Matt, is the plastic painted or clear coated?  Can you post a picture of the damage?

I don't think its even clear coated.  Just bumper plastic.  2mm deep at absolute worst.

I just want it to look fine from 10 feet away.  It is a 6 year old time bomb that i would have ditched if my credit and job were not so absolutely fucked.

It makes me really sad walking out and seeing it though. It doesnt even look to be clear coated based on the damage.  Ill look closer when its not raining and try to take a pic.

7 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I know....but I would polish and then see if I need to sand first. I like to start less aggressive if possible.  Lots of stuff I thought I would have to sand I didn't once polished.

I got what you meant.  Ill probably have to hand buff this unless I can get to my buddies an hour and more south.

I agree with Sean.  When said damage, I immediately think of a cut or deep scratch.  I really need go see to make my best guess.  Feel would be optimal, but yeah.

Those feels cut a bit deeper than 2mm.

Not much deeper, but still.

2mm will require some type of filler. 

Ungh.... It may just get smoothed down then polished until I have time to be down a vehicle.

Edited by dem beats

14 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

By how Seth has described it, his car and wheels have received a ceramic coating.  It actually creates a molecular bond with the paint that will take years to wear.  It's also easy to screw some up, and if not perfectly clean, anything under the coating is trapped there.  Some have even caused issue with some paints, reactions with cleaning chemicals, etc.  If you choose the ceramic route, do your research and try to stuck with a brand that has it's process laid out start to finish, preferably purchasing a kit.

That ceramic coating sounds interesting. 

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I would always polish first before sanding.  Once you use an abrasive going back is tough.

I used abrasives on the Jeep. Trees and bushes and whatever you can find in forests :( It looks sad when it's clean. At least the street wheels off the newer model are in great condition. 

Half the Miata is in one garage, half in the other. Pressed in nuts and rust don't mix. 

IMG_4705.jpg