Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

43 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

So you like blacks...

VA panel will be better for you than the IPS or TN.  Real question is which did you get?  If it is a TN you will hate it, an IPS could solve your needs but yes the Samsung will show the blacks better.

Personally I no longer am infatuated with Plasma's, but only because I think that the LED panels have mostly caught up.  There are still some advantages in the plasma but the life and other concerns are outweighed by the reliability and life of the LED.

I'm not prejudice.  I like all colors!

Seriously though, I have no idea what your post means. 

18 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I'm not prejudice.  I like all colors!

Seriously though, I have no idea what your post means. 

Sorry.  Technology type of the panels:

TN - fast for gaming without blur, but shitty color and TERRIBLE off axis viewing

IPS - not as fast, but good to great color reproduction

VA - Samsungs proprietary panel.  Better blacks and contrast, but otherwise rather similar to IPS.

Plasma's were GREAT at blacks.  The Samsung will mimic that the most.  A good IPS panel however will do what you need as well.  You probably have a TN as that technology is easier to make WAY cheaper than the others which is why you don't like it.

I just figured from your post that the black depth of the plasma is what you strove to replace and that is why the Samsungs look better to you.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

PPI is smaller than most 24's....

Well then, nevermind.  

Contemplating if a 2560 in a 34" is okay.

Over lunch I went to look at a 29" and was surprised at how big it actually is.  I think it is more useful on half of it than my normal 24"

Currently I have a 24" in landscape and a 21" in portrait.  29" was nearly as wide as the pair with more usability.  Only thing I'd lose is full screen video on one screen while using the other for something else...but I could use my laptop screen for that if I really needed it.

Less pixels is better IF you cannot see them.  4K phones are stupid and a complete waste of battery.

My statements have nothing to do with gaming only productivity

7 hours ago, ///M5 said:

My docking station only does 30Hz so I don't need 160Hz...bigger would be better, but $1500 already hurts

My dual cards could handle a touch more than 30.

:D

14 minutes ago, dem beats said:

My dual cards could handle a touch more than 30.

:D

My "video card" is a usb docking station.  

Not sure I need Word and Excel to update faster than 30 lol

I'm stuck with 16 cores and a pair of cards.

Speaking of.... I have had BOINC off since my last machine update i think.

My bad Aaron, I will probably start her up this week and let her get us some more points.  I just got the latest version of BOINC too.

16 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Contemplating if a 2560 in a 34" is okay.

Over lunch I went to look at a 29" and was surprised at how big it actually is.  I think it is more useful on half of it than my normal 24"

Currently I have a 24" in landscape and a 21" in portrait.  29" was nearly as wide as the pair with more usability.  Only thing I'd lose is full screen video on one screen while using the other for something else...but I could use my laptop screen for that if I really needed it.

My soul hurts to see a landscape and portrait monitor next to each other. I know it has its purpose and 21portrait is better but it still hurts.

Most programs/websites have a mode that widens the video to width of the window.

Looks better that way than to have a 21" next to a 24"...

I like a landscape/portrait monitor setup.  It works well for viewing .pdf documents and McMaster Carr.  

Don't forget the internet and Microsoft word.

Need landscape for Powerpoint and Excel...although ultrawide would rock for Excel.

Sean have you seen one of the top teir LGs in person??  I cant find one local.

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

Sean have you seen one of the top teir LGs in person??  I cant find one local.

About 30 min ago at Microcenter

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

About 30 min ago at Microcenter

Bullshit.

I was typing that as i left microcenter.  Completely fucked up.  I saw an acer and a much cheeper not nearly as nice LG....

I mean... Im mad as fuck that the dude didn't show me their top end display...

A single monitor does look freaking legit.

Dang you guys... I was perfectly fine with 2 22's of 24's

Any resources for keeping your Lightroom catalog managable? I love light room, but I've got to come up with something to keep my photos more organized.

Is it just as simple as making some relevant folders?

I have had the worst day shopping in a long time.

Also, don't know if i told you fuckers the roommate got a focus RS now.  ST wasn't doing for him anymore.

Also, I want to be able to go through a group  of pictures and then pick out the ones I modified to export to JPEG. I haven't found a good way to do that other than add every picture to a quick collection.

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

Bullshit.

I was typing that as i left microcenter.  Completely fucked up.  I saw an acer and a much cheeper not nearly as nice LG....

We were in the store at the same time then.  I left and went home and responded.  Seriously. :Doh:

They didn't have the cheap LG on display....although I think that is what I am going to buy to try.  I can't live with 30Hz which means 2560 is where I will top out.  Not sure I wanted curved anyways.  Will be a good comparison to switch from the 24" Eizo I have to it as a test.  

They don't have either of the new 3440 38/34 LG's on display.

Always shocks me the price variance on monitors that share the same screen....