Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Although with feeds like that I could even score.

Hockey is over (for MN) so I turn to champions league

Fuck you MN potholes and low profile tires!

: SHAKES FIST AT UNCARING GOD :

My wife hits ALL of them.  Only 50 series or taller for her.  One of the reasons I didn't try harder to get the sport package on her "truck"

3 tires fucked up in about 2 years.

But the 3rd...... Made me replace them all.

Alright guys,

I need to spec out a laptop that will be mounted and used in a vehicle. It needs to be rugged enough to handle those vibrations and a good enough screen to be seen in bright situations (probably no direct sunlight on the screen ever)

Do I just need an SSD computer or should I make sure to go fan-less?

Ruggedized industrial laptops are super expensive.  A cheap disposable one would be my choice.

For instance, the HP x360 Spectre (v2) is ~$1000 with a 1TB SSD, the Elite (business and MIL spec tested) of the exact same computer is $2500.  I have the cheaper one, lol.

Lol @ Sean and his idea of cheap.

Still fucking raining here.

2 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Alright guys,

I need to spec out a laptop that will be mounted and used in a vehicle. It needs to be rugged enough to handle those vibrations and a good enough screen to be seen in bright situations (probably no direct sunlight on the screen ever)

Do I just need an SSD computer or should I make sure to go fan-less?

Anything with SSD will be good... you don't want fanless in a vehicle space. Also would say good hinges might matter for vibration purposes, I don't have any recommendations though. 

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Ruggedized industrial laptops are super expensive.  A cheap disposable one would be my choice.

For instance, the HP x360 Spectre (v2) is ~$1000 with a 1TB SSD, the Elite (business and MIL spec tested) of the exact same computer is $2500.  I have the cheaper one, lol.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Supposedly the Thinkpad x and t lines are mil spec tested as well. They can be had around the 1k mark.

3 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Lol @ Sean and his idea of cheap.

A $300 computer would fail on me in a matter of months.  I use it around 18 hours a day and it goes everywhere.

2 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Supposedly the Thinkpad x and t lines are mil spec tested as well. They can be had around the 1k mark.

mil spec tested does not mean the others aren't.  Seems to me HP built a consumer machine, tested it on a shaker and sold it as a business machine.  Sure they added an HDMI port as well, but yikes at double the price.  I hate the thinkpads...

On 4/29/2017 at 5:42 PM, dem beats said:

Aaron, those boinc numbers move a bit????

Yes sir!! Thank you.

OMFG!  IT'S NOT RAINING!  HOLY SHIT!

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

OMFG!  IT'S NOT RAINING!  HOLY SHIT!

We don't have snow anymore either...although I saw more of it in April than I did ALL WINTER.  FUCK YOU atmosphere!

On 4/30/2017 at 6:11 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

Haha, thanks.  But you know I would end up taking you to a bar and ordering a bunch of seafood.

The only thing that was better, by a good margin, was the oysters.  And I think the oysters got at most places i went.  But one place on the harbor was so flawless.  Some were not even from that bay, but they were still fresh.  Oh lord so good.

In mpls we have some amazing places and even the fresh caught Maine lobster was just great.  It was special to eat it on the water but the freshness wasn't that much more over the top than me killing them in my kitchen.

I will say, murdered fresh from the ocean spiney lobsters in vieaques was special.  One of the only times I really felt the ocean on my plate.

5 hours ago, dem beats said:

The only thing that was better, by a good margin, was the oysters.  And I think the oysters got at most places i went.  But one place on the harbor was so flawless.  Some were not even from that bay, but they were still fresh.  Oh lord so good.

In mpls we have some amazing places and even the fresh caught Maine lobster was just great.  It was special to eat it on the water but the freshness wasn't that much more over the top than me killing them in my kitchen.

I will say, murdered fresh from the ocean spiney lobsters in vieaques was special.  One of the only times I really felt the ocean on my plate.

I'd love to have a big group of the SSAFamily down for a baltimore bar tour.

5 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I'd love to have a big group of the SSAFamily down for a baltimore bar tour.

God yes.

If it were later in the year I could probably make it to Maryland. 

anyone do some av receiver shopping recently. I was running a stereo setup with some tritrix but re-purposed the 2 channel amp for another project.  Should i get something with 4k support for future proofing? My original plan was to grab something cheap or used. 

my current setup is a 1080p 55" tv that I dont plan to upgrade anytime soon. Im also thinking about setting up a screen and projector for movies (1080p again, 4k is too expensive). 

If you are running 2chn only I don't see the value in video period.  As long as the monitor/tv you are using has an analog or digital audio out I'd save the dough and buy used.

Future proof yourself, but being frugal and spending the money on the future when you need it.