Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

3 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Considering I'll tow about 1% of the time I'm okay taking the hit then.

I'm curious why the truck then?

Or rather, why not just get a smaller truck, or an OOOOOLD reliable but not as nice truck for when you need to tow?

Maybe I missed on why you were getting a new pickup?

Come on now.  In America, bigger is better!

In no other country do trucks outsell cars.  In no other country do they have the societal/ego/esteem/material issues the US suffers from.  Ah, fuck, I'll stop there.

Daily I see roads crowded with pickups with empty beds and large SUVs occupied by only the driver.   The pickup market is flooded by 6.5' beds and crew cabs.  They're nothing more than people haulers and status symbols anymore.  

Same thought goes for sports cars nowadays... all that horsepower and the speed limit is still the same for everyone on the road. Not a week goes buy that you don't see somebody destroy one of the new "muscle cars" by driving like an idiot and trying to show off how fast they can go.

Werd!

meh

10 hours ago, dem beats said:

In the traditional use of a truck, I just don't get the desire for lower displacement.  

Boost is displacement.  Exactly what it does.  Turns you air pump into a larger one.

10 hours ago, dem beats said:

Large displacement with less boost and a set of tougher parts would be a billion times better.

What if the parts are tough enough on the boosted motor?

There is a reason that nearly every diesel has the word Turbo in front of it.  Same is now happening on petrol.  Generally it is a logical change.  The efficiency gains come from when you aren't using the power.  When you are, well you are pumping enough air (and gas) then that there is no gain.  When you don't need it however a boosted motor scales better.

Personally of course I don't give a shit about fuel economy so a boosted larger displacement motor sounds perfect.

Agreed on so many accounts on all these posts.

A truck will be in the family for because we need 2 vehicles and it's SUPER convenient, when needed, if one is a truck (towing hauling, etc)

When it comes to motors, both make torque and HP, both make plenty and what Sean said.

Honestly, it will come down to finding the truck I like and what motor may be inconsequential as long as it's the 3.5 or the 5.0. 

11 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Come on now.  In America, bigger is better!

In no other country do trucks outsell cars.  In no other country do they have the societal/ego/esteem/material issues the US suffers from.  Ah, fuck, I'll stop there.

Daily I see roads crowded with pickups with empty beds and large SUVs occupied by only the driver.   The pickup market is flooded by 6.5' beds and crew cabs.  They're nothing more than people haulers and status symbols anymore.  

Actually had this discussion with Arthur last night on the way home.  He and I in theIS passing 2 suburbans and an excursion, each with just the driver.

As for large displacement vs. smaller boosted displacement, that decision was made with out us a while ago.  Engines are getting smaller for EPA regulations.  But the power they are doing is getting nutty.  Focus RS for example.  But the whole increased strain on parts and complexity of the engines does concern me as potential reliability cannot truly be improving.  

40 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

As for large displacement vs. smaller boosted displacement, that decision was made with out us a while ago.  Engines are getting smaller for EPA regulations.  But the power they are doing is getting nutty.  Focus RS for example.  But the whole increased strain on parts and complexity of the engines does concern me as potential reliability cannot truly be improving.  

If I summarize and say simple is better I think we are on the same page, although it is possible to build reliably at higher power levels.  Exactly what tuners have been doing for a long time.  Take a motor, add boost, blow motor, rebuild with something beefier and try again.  No matter how you spin it at some power level things fail, but finding what fails allows you to then build beyond that.  The only manufacturers can learn this is to try it.  Regrettably this means that we the consumers are now more beta testers than ever.  Moving to the category of I don't want a first generation of anything.  It used to just be a first year, but now it is a complete generation.

Good example of power building is just looking in my garage.  My 600cc snowmobile that stock is around 120hp is sitting well over 155hp now.  No forced induction and a 30% gain.  I don't expect to still be able to get 10,000 miles from it before rebuilding, but 5k is absolutely no problem.  At that point I'll just drop in some fresh pistons as they are what tends to go.  Found the weak link and dealt with it.  Does cost me $80/piston though.

Long term I am fine with the downsizing AS LONG as there are still options for the enthusiast cars.  A strung out 4 banger with no room to grow doesn't work for me as manufacturers typically choose to release things with 30-40% less power than they should have.

Itching to work on theIS.

460ci FTMFW. The beast gets 12 mpg empty or hauling a trailer!

Congrats on the new ride R1!

Better than my bus, that thing got 6 mpg. Was an IH 396ci with a factory 750 double pumper.

Only 2 hours to get to work today. :(

Fuck.  Took me about 2 minutes.

I can't imagine a commute like that anymore.  No time with the kids the way it is. :(

Well I just moved to Annapolis and still working in Baltimore.  But once settled in, I will be looking for jobs much closer to the new house.

I should probably look for a job closer to home, :Doh:

House is slowly getting set up.  Yet to get the RX8 in the garage though.

Awesome.  Will test in an hour.  Been waiting for this :)

Deleting hundreds of pages of spam accounts on CarAudioresources.