Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I plan on pulling the pump apart and making sure it's not worn beyond repair or broken, before getting a kit.

I've never rebuild one.  I've always found them so cheap, I just replaced them.  Of course, all the mechanical pumps I've replaced have all been on trucks,  so there's always been plenty of room to monkey around in there, so I've never even thought about size concerns.

I've just never seen the point in electric pumps for carbs unless for racing where you need the positive fuel cutoff.

4 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I've never rebuild one.  I've always found them so cheap, I just replaced them.  Of course, all the mechanical pumps I've replaced have all been on trucks,  so there's always been plenty of room to monkey around in there, so I've never even thought about size concerns.

I've just never seen the point in electric pumps for carbs unless for racing where you need the positive fuel cutoff.

Yeah well it's kinda my fault based on previous mods. I lowered the motor an inch and installed the aftermarket powersteering pump. 

I can only find the rebuild the rebuild kits on eBay and no vids on the tube...which I think says something. The cost of the kit makes a Holley or Edelbrock HO one look pretty smart. 

As far as electric fuel pumps, I've had a different MO on every vehicle I've ever owned. The last one I ran electric was my blazer. I had a 200amp alt and beefy battery. I ran everything I could electric on that ride as part of the MO. I guess it's the electrical nerd in me. This car came with the Holley pump, so was trying to take it as an omen. Lol

ALL that said I think I'll chew on it a day and probably buy the Edelbrock or Holley mechanical.

There just isn't much to a mechanical pump.  Did the diaphragm rupture?  

I honestly don't know but that would be my guess.  That or worn out to the point it is seizing up. The rebuild kit would be for people that are trying to keep concourse  correct, and relatively they want an arm and a leg for them.  

The factory pump only puts out 30 gph,  and the aftermarket HO does 110gph.  Being my MO on this car has always kind of been a superstock rally sport kinda theme,  I think the Holley mechanical is the obvious choice.

Landed at 1am here in minny.  Was 86 degrees which was warmer than my whole 2 weeks in socal

Yeah, we're dealing with 90s here.  I usually start growing my hair out in October, but it's been so chilly the past 3 weeks, I started early.  I was half-tempted to shave yesterday, but I know the moment I do, it will turn cold again, so fuck it.

Hot  here too.  Supposed to cool down next week.  

I ordered the Edelbrock mechanical from Summit racing this morning.  The holley is made in Korea and the Edelbrock is made in the USA.

Thank you for all the input guys.

I was pretty bummed the pump the  neighbor gave me wouldn't fit,  as it was the high output factory replacement.

My check engine light came back on in the daily.  She has ran great since I reset the codes. At least I know it is a sensor,  and not an injector or something catastrophic to that degree.

Hoping I can get a parts store to break out a OBDII reader.  I'm assuming it's either the MAF or one of the O2 sensors.  With any luck they can point me in the right direction so I don't have to spend all day testing sensors.

I had to drive the truck for a week and even it is limping.  There is brake fluid pissing out the backside of the master.  So that will be the next damn thing to fix.  I don't know why shit always has to break all at once. 

3 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

My check engine light came back on in the daily.  She has ran great since I reset the codes. At least I know it is a sensor,  and not an injector or something catastrophic to that degree.

Hoping I can get a parts store to break out a OBDII reader.  I'm assuming it's either the MAF or one of the O2 sensors.  With any luck they can point me in the right direction so I don't have to spend all day testing sensors.

Just go on Amazon and buy a cheap-o bluetooth one.  Last one I bought was 8$ on sale I think.  

I've also got one of the ODB Link SX cables for hooking up to the laptop.  

Just don't leave the cheap ones plugged in all the time.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:04 AM, topgun said:

Just go on Amazon and buy a cheap-o bluetooth one.  Last one I bought was 8$ on sale I think.  

I ended up going to the parts store and having them read the codes.  Oddly none were what I expected. They were  evaporative control system, steering angle sensor, and battery sensor.  I assume the the evap control is most likely the charcoal canister,  the other two I assume are just sensors.  Perhaps the stereo amps are throwing the battery code.  Steering angle sensor is anyone's guess. 

I did look up the Bluetooth,  crazy they make em that cheap. 

On 9/24/2017 at 11:27 AM, ///M5 said:

Just don't leave the cheap ones plugged in all the time.

Sounds like you speak from experience. Haha

Had freezing temperatures here last two nights.  Unfortunately Most of the vegetables left in the garden didn't make it as the freeze came a today early. Didn't get any damn cherries either because of the late freeze in the spring.

Woke up in the middle of the night to a skunk in the chicken coop. Dude was eating up all the food and making a hell of a racket. Lol

We have lots of "nature" around the house, but nothing invasive.  Flying squirrels, small lizards, and a wide array of small spiders.

yeah the mountain lions and bears are probably the scariest. I been face to face with a bear a few times, never the lion thankfully. They move like lightning so would be a short encounter.