Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

2 hours ago, lithium said:

Hey guys, how's it been. Anyone have a cheap point and shoot camera recommendation? I'm going on vacation and want something other than my phone for taking pics. 

Sony Cyber-Shot

I've got an older Sony one, happily buy a new one if I needed one.  

I have always been impressed with Sony for point and shoots.  I don't like the DSLRs, but that's because they took a pro tool and added things I don't like and don't have an ecosystem I want to be a part of.

Their P&S often give a prosumer feel and make it easier to get nice images.

For me a P&S would need to be really zoomy, or really good in low light to make it worth anything.  A second device after my phone means I would much much rather have a mirrorless or good DSLR with a lens eco system.  

I offer an alternative to a P&S and that's a cell phone.  Get a lens kit and maybe a gangster case for it.  A P&S is not going to get any better images unless it's low low low light, or again, needs zoom.  Let me be super clear.  No one could tell my DSLR shots from my cell phone shots for the last 3 times I did a side by side of walking around photos.  The cell phone is just not capable of low light, action, "true RAW", or zooming WTF out there.  It cannot do It, so since people pay me money to take those kind of photos, I use their money and buy toys.

:-)

Honestly.... cell phone > P&S unless you have a really specific reason to want and maybe not need.

Edited by dem beats

Yep, mirrorless or bust in that regard.

Cellphone, mirrorless or DSLR.

Wished I had a mirrorless last night as I was at an event and don't really want to lug around a DSLR.

A mirrorless with a real lens isn't so much smaller regrettably...otherwise I'd have one.

That is the other statement to make on the mirrorless.  Get the biggest sensor you can as that has the most ramifications for light.  That being said a full frame sensor in a mirrorless makes no sense as then the lenses are way out of balance for the camera.  I really wish someone would get smart and make L class lenses for APS-C and then have them mount on a mirrorless.  Come on Canon!!

On 10/6/2017 at 11:21 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

I prefer it, now if I had a race seat and a 4-point, I would be even better. :)

Yes yes yes! 

There's a rallysprint this weekend close by. But it's on a dangerous mountain road, no thanks. 

On 10/7/2017 at 0:24 AM, Aaron Clinton said:

#answerisalwaysmiata 

There's a rough 1.8 NB for sale in the other side of the country, cheap and registered.

Plus I want to buy my GF a car and a Miata would be cooler than a Yaris/Echo. 

1 hour ago, Adrian_D said:

There's a rough 1.8 NB for sale in the other side of the country, cheap and registered.

Plus I want to buy my GF a car and a Miata would be cooler than a Yaris/Echo

This is true.

Found my next carry piece! This beast shoots amazing!

http://www.coonaninc.com/product/357-magnum-classic/

product-pistol-classic-silver-wood-grip-500x333.jpg

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

A mirrorless with a real lens isn't so much smaller regrettably...otherwise I'd have one.

That is the other statement to make on the mirrorless.  Get the biggest sensor you can as that has the most ramifications for light.  That being said a full frame sensor in a mirrorless makes no sense as then the lenses are way out of balance for the camera.  I really wish someone would get smart and make L class lenses for APS-C and then have them mount on a mirrorless.  Come on Canon!!

Personally I would like to keep my 14k in glass as relevant.....

No reason it can't.  You'll never replace a full frame, but the prosumer models make no sense to me.  Make L lenses for APS and then a small body and you have the best second setup ever.  Don't exclude the APS from using full frame lenses as that would be dumb, but build some with proportionally smaller optics surely does.  The optics could shrink a ton.

You can imagine how much smaller you could make a 50-150mm 2.8.  That is what I want on my camera almost 90% of the time.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

No reason it can't.  You'll never replace a full frame, but the prosumer models make no sense to me.  Make L lenses for APS and then a small body and you have the best second setup ever.  Don't exclude the APS from using full frame lenses as that would be dumb, but build some with proportionally smaller optics surely does.  The optics could shrink a ton.

Ah, completely misunderstood what you were thinking.  Addition not a complete shift.  

200%  

I'm starting to think about medium format.

DOH!!

LOL

Yep, turning prosumer into prosumer instead of bastardized pro.

Gotcha.  Plenty pros would rather have a crop 7Dii.... especially guys named Matt as a second body.

But if i had a 7Dii with smaller L lenses it would absolutely make it more likely to be my go to.

I have found action cameras can take nice portraits.  Not the other way around easily.

And it would allow for a mirrorless solution that is small and optimized for the little lenses.  A 50mm for portrait and something wide in fixed and you would be really portable.

13 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

And it would allow for a mirrorless solution that is small and optimized for the little lenses.  A 50mm for portrait and something wide in fixed and you would be really portable.

It's so awesome how we see the same tool, appreciate it just as much for completely different reasons....... AND NO ONE MAKES THAT TOOL!!!!

LoL

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

It's so awesome how we see the same tool, appreciate it just as much for completely different reasons....... AND NO ONE MAKES THAT TOOL!!!!

LoL

And when they try they fuck up.  Sigma art 1.8 50-100mm would be AWESOME on a crop except they forgot image stabilization and the 1.8 makes it as heavy as the 2.8 70-200 netting no savings.   I would have loved to have seen it as half the size/weight with IS at only a 2.8.  I'd own it then.

Made some wicked good picadillo for my ladies, with the rest of the brisket. 

Is my duty to cook on my days off. Keeps shit romantic at least, after 20 years.

I stole your idea Sean. I bought a pork loin to pan cook tomorrow! 

Installed 5 more window sills today. That's the whole upstairs. And only 3 more to do downstairs!