Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Working on getting all my data extremely organized since I have a real stationary computer now.

Found a 640gb laptop drive and hooked up my 500gb external.

Going through the external I've haphazardly backed up things for almost a decade. My backups have nested back ups from flash drives to cell phones, etc... 

Going to get everything separated out. Music, pictures, and files.

On the picture front...

I only have a 240gb SSD. Trying to decide if I import pictures to the SSD short term for speed and then transfer them over or if I just go straight to the 640gb (5400rpm)

I have 60gb of photos after ~1 year but I also getting better at deleting meh photos much more quickly so I don't think that rate will grow next year.

In the end the photo back up will look as such:

RAW/JPEG local copy

RAW/JPEG External back up

RAW/JPEG photos backed up to Amazon Drive.

JPEG's are also uploaded to Google Photos for easy sharing.

Should cover the 3-2-1 back up plan.

Amazon Drive was pretty nice with the new computer. It downloaded all the photos over night.

I use Dropbox over here, most everything gets saved in a folder in that directory and its all good. 

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

Working on getting all my data extremely organized since I have a real stationary computer now.

Going through the external I've haphazardly backed up things for almost a decade. My backups have nested back ups from flash drives to cell phones, etc... 

On the picture front...

I only have a 240gb SSD. Trying to decide if I import pictures to the SSD short term for speed and then transfer them over or if I just go straight to the 640gb (5400rpm)

I have 60gb of photos after ~1 year but I also getting better at deleting meh photos much more quickly so I don't think that rate will grow next year.

I have my Lightroom folder local on my SSD.  EVERYTHING else (ie all other documents) are on my NAS server.  Of course there is a LR backup there as well.  Then I output what I could want to carry to Google Drive and that is it.

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

In the end the photo back up will look as such:

RAW/JPEG local copy

RAW/JPEG External back up

RAW/JPEG photos backed up to Amazon Drive.

JPEG's are also uploaded to Google Photos for easy sharing.

Should cover the 3-2-1 back up plan.

Amazon Drive was pretty nice with the new computer. It downloaded all the photos over night.

Amazon Drive??

3 hours ago, MKader17 said:

On the picture front...

I have several laptop drives i could have thown your way..I have salvaged what I could from a few laptops I have either dropped and busted the screen..spilt shit on ect..I kept what worked chunked the rest..Also have several sticks of ddr some I bought to upgrade from new egg..All is just laying around if you or anybody else needs anything of such your welcome to it..Most likely I will never use it anyway..

Was going to pull the distribitor cap off the blazer to exchange it for a brand new one since it had a life time warranty..And behold I think I found the culprit!! Cap was rough on the inside..Must have vibrated loose causing the arc to generate more heat and damage the brass contacts..they where burnt to a crisp..Took a cap of a spare motor miss seems to be gone..We will see I guess

Distributor cap?  Cars still have those?   

Mike how fast can i get the stored files?  Could I actually store elsewhere and still get to it fast enough to edit?

I have dropbox, but its shared with one of my bosses...... who i should probably not have a shared dribe with.... thanks for the reminder! Hahaha

So.... here is why I'm looking into 

My raid lost all my docs from a Windows update, I'm a photographer.....

All my documented life....and others life who I documented their most important day.

Private pics of loved ones I won't ever get back too....

My backup NAS failed.  2 drives died in the same.  I hope my external has some of it saved.....they were engineering level NAS boxes too from my IT roommates work after they upgraded.  Big construction firm and boom... as soon as my machine died... the NAS with my files died.  The other one is ok, but I'm not gonna trust it.  Time to build our own double redundant storage solution....

Even with a >triple back up system, I still lost it all.

What.

The.

Fuck.

I've been dealing with this for a few months, my PC had a bad crash a week after the update, and the mobo battery died.  I don't even know how all this is possible at the same time.  Lol

17 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Is it where you put the blinker fluid?

57 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Lol....Its that murdered out dale earnhart edition blazer...

7 hours ago, mikel7829 said:

What are you planning on ordering? Just curious 

Speaka's

22 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

Lol....Its that murdered out dale earnhart edition blazer...

:stfu:

Every time I dump to my bad I back it up to a usb drive.  Every 6 mo the U.S. drive gets swapped to my parents house.  Triple redundant ftw

The weekend was ridiculously busy. Did the cheerleader auction Friday, then cheer comp Saturday. Which was 1.5hr away. Busted out my 40 and thankfully my weekend starts in about an hour! 

Was good though, as Mila had another major surgery last Wednesday. So helped distract my mind off of her. She's doing great though and will be released tomorrow most likely.

Cleo dog got fixed last Tuesday, buts doing good too.

Didn't win shit at the auction.  Although I was bidding on some local beef and 10lbs of coffee we donated. 

Managed to get the garage cleaned out too. Was nice having a woodworking shop in there all summer but not so nice spending three weeks getting all the dust out. 

Think I have a couple flash drives laying around with pictures off old phones. Lol

1 hour ago, j-roadtatts said:

Speaka's

Maybe Parts Express?

:stfu:

Will see what I can do..

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Every time I dump to my bad I back it up to a usb drive.  Every 6 mo the U.S. drive gets swapped to my parents house.  Triple redundant ftw

I was "between" the thumb drive situation you have.  I'll get some of it back.

I'm still just furious.

Think I have a couple flash drives laying around with pictures off old phones. Lol

Dick pic collections?

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Amazon Drive??

Free RAW photo storage with Prime.