Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

He apprenticed under J Nelson for a couple weeks.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I actually meant the polish then.  I use a 400 and 1000, but have an 8000 for my sashimi knife.  The last stone hardly takes anything off lol.

Would you show me?  I'm not happy with my system.

I also cannot sharpen my Deba Bocho, or my yanagiba.  They are very special to me.  They are not razor sharp anymore.  I am sublimely sad.

I use the edge pro, it gets them sharp but it does get the edge even close to how those knives came.  Even with the Deba spine being super thick.

I wish I could post a pic here....

Your idea of fun on a sled sounds like mine.  How hard is it on the body?  

River bottoms with drops on a hard tail, or more downhill on a downhil?

Edited by dem beats

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

Would you show me?  I'm not happy with my system.

I also cannot sharpen my Deba Bocho, or my yanagiba.  They are very special to me.  They are not razor sharp anymore.  I am sublimely sad.

I use the edge pro, it gets them sharp but it does get the edge even close to how those knives came.  Even with the Deba spine being super thick.

I wish I could post a pic here....

I can try, I suck at it and am always scared of touching an already somewhat sharp knife.

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

Your idea of fun on a sled sounds like mine.  How hard is it on the body?  

River bottoms with drops on a hard tail, or more downhill on a downhil?

On old sleds it is hell on your body.  If you bottom out your suspension it is quite the blow.  My sleds I setup so that they only bottom when I am doing what I shouldn't do which is only a few times a day.  Of course you will bottom mine easier than me thanks to newton's law, but I may make up for the mass difference in my aggressiveness.  As you know I had some monster back troubles a couple years ago.  Amusingly a ride on the sled loosens it up.  There is a difference though from when I do this and when you will.  I learned to ride my IQR (race chassis) when it had race valving.  ie, the shocks were setup to take 75' triple jumps.  Needless to say crossing a corn field and hitting the plough leftovers sent the sled up and down and all over the place as it fundamentally had no suspension on those "little" hits.  The only way you could ride was to truly just relax and let the sled bounce all over hell.  BY FAR the best learning experience I have had.  When the trail gets fuxored and whooped out no one keeps up with me anymore and everyone arrives completely exhausted, while I arrive just thirsty for beer.

The other difficulty of course is ditch riding.  This exhausts most people.  Riding on a slope is hard as gravity wants to do its job.  At some point you get used to the feeling and let go the tightness, but that is even harder than the bumps.  The first few times a year I do I am anxious in certain situations.  I also care about my machines though which makes the anxiety stronger.  When we get snow and go out we will focus more on trail to get the feel.

Also it is way easier to get stuck in teh ditch.  Riding in 6" of snow and then hitting 7' drifts create a different challenge.

:turkey:

10 hours ago, dem beats said:

It's so unreasonable how much those Sanders cost!  I shop for them all the time.

He got his used from the same amish family he got the power hammer from. He has some money in the belts and treats them like gold.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Always scared of touching an already somewhat sharp knife.

Hahahahahahaha.

You sure your not my twin?

We both have high expectations of our skills that we cannot have Sean.  Until you put mastery into sharpening who cares?

I'll send it to some little old man on a mountain in Japan if we fuck them up! Let's break some shit and learn.

If its worth doing, its worth doing wrong.  You don't learn from doing it right.  

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

The other difficulty of course is ditch riding.  This exhausts most people.  Riding on a slope is hard as gravity wants to do its job.  At some point you get used to the feeling and let go the tightness, but that is even harder than the bumps.  The first few times a year I do I am anxious in certain situations.  I also care about my machines though which makes the anxiety stronger.  When we get snow and go out we will focus more on trail to get the feel.

You saying the lateral slope can be hard to cope with until you learn to keep the top half up and let the bottom half of your body pivot as the angle changes?

I think of it like a motorcycle(3 wheeler or quad)or horse back.  Is it like that?  Need to learn to accept the dynamic changes rather than muscle through?

4 hours ago, nem said:

He got his used from the same amish family he got the power hammer from. He has some money in the belts and treats them like gold.

I just need to pay someone to weld it.

I would really like something like this.  Maybe a bigger belt, but 2x72 would be so amazing.

If only I could weld.

18 minutes ago, dem beats said:

You saying the lateral slope can be hard to cope with until you learn to keep the top half up and let the bottom half of your body pivot as the angle changes?

I think of it like a motorcycle(3 wheeler or quad)or horse back.  Is it like that?  Need to learn to accept the dynamic changes rather than muscle through?

Balance and dexterity, not force.  So yes.

25 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I just need to pay someone to weld it.

I can weld..

2 hours ago, mikel7829 said:

I can weld..

You you get bored.....

Don't worry about the Chinese bearings.  I'm fine with that.  I welcome our new far East overlords. 

Nehow motherfuckerz.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Balance and dexterity, not force.  So yes.

10/10

Sounds like I will die once or twice, then get it.

Best way to build that?  Get a bosu ball.  Put it on the ground dome side down.  Stand and balance on flat part.

Now squat.

I recommend a wall close by at first.  Lol.

If you want a belt grinder, just buy the thing.  By the time you piece it all together and put a real motor and drive combo on it you aren't saving any money, especially if you want real variable speed.  

41 minutes ago, topgun said:

If you want a belt grinder, just buy the thing.  By the time you piece it all together and put a real motor and drive combo on it you aren't saving any money, especially if you want real variable speed.  

Really? $2-3k

If you value your time at anything, building a good one isn't cheap.  Especially when you throw in a motor and variable speed control.  

Notice I said good.  

I think Dad had one of the KMG units with his blacksmith shop, nice unit.  

17 minutes ago, topgun said:

If you value your time at anything, building a good one isn't cheap.  Especially when you throw in a motor and variable speed control.  

Notice I said good.  

I smell what your cooking.  I'm a masochist....so I don't know..... might rub all the right pressure points.

And if I tell the right masochistic friend that they couldn't build me one that nice.....

I work in sales.  Closed mouthes don't get fed.  How much did Sean pay for his unisaw?  Lol

Edited by dem beats