Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

That is a loaded question.  I bought a knife for daily use that has the best fitting handle and balance for my hand, not the one whose edge I like the most.

This is what I use for 95% of my knife work: 10" Shun Classic 

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/classic-10-in-chefs-knife

dm0707_1.jpg

I think I paid around $140 for it.  The only reason the $140 is relevant is that I gave myself a $500 budget to buy the knife that fit me best with a reasonable blade.  This one did not out cut other knives, but I felt more confident and polished with it.  That is of course WAY more important than anything else.

If I were buying based on blade alone, the 10" MAC chef's knife is a winner (so is the 8 if you are smaller than me).

https://www.macknife.com/products/chef-series-10-chefs-knife-bk-100

BK-100_1024x1024.jpg?v=1492308887

If it fits your hands that is fundamentally price point wise I think the winner in the knife world.

Outside of the Shun, I have a full set of Cutco knives (which we won) that I use for the beach/camping etc.  They are fucking terrible.

For our wedding we were given a full set of Global knives.  Why these are good blades they are shit compared to the MAC and handle wise are made for Japanese or women or those of rather small stature.  They are a bitch to sharpen as well.

For steak knives I have the set of budget Wusthof's.  I think $70 or so for the 8 knives.  They are okay, but need to be sharpened A LOT.

Lastly the knife that I use when I am not using my Shun is a 32cm custom made Masamoto sashimi knife.  I use this for all fish work and slicing anything that has nothing hard in it.  It is a 7deg one sided blade, so you can fundamentally shave with it.  I had it custom made for me in Tsukuji, Japan to fit my hand and the knife smith.  It was a bit under $500 as I opted for 4 upgrades in the steel.  The knife is amazing.  It is the upgrade from this one, but I can't find it on the web.

https://www.hocho-knife.com/masamoto-cobalt-steel-fuguhiki-sashimi-300mm/?gclid=CjwKCAiAo9_QBRACEiwASknDwdseMOjI3I3VZyZ6UCFlv7cQgRA0MF9LlZ2tvcbbjNPHBC1cvYHPxhoCmAsQAvD_BwE

mm-ams-i9-300-01__39196.1477281233.jpg?c

The only other must knife to have in my block is the bread knife.  For this the global is a winner.  In fact it is too sharp to cut buns in your hands.  For that I actually keep the Cutco bread & butter knife in a drawer and use.  I hardly consider that a cutting blade though as I mostly use it for spreading butter/mayo/cream cheese.

G_9__71897.1357660885.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

img69c.jpg

The other knife most people use is a pairing knife.  I use my 10" chef knife for this work outside of 1 task.  That task is peeling apples.  For this however any $15 knife that fits in my hand is fine.  The MAC makes a great pairing knife but it is so sharp that for stuff like this it can break the skin.  The motion used for peeling the apple is to draw the knife into your thumb and then rotate and bite again.  I have a Global one that I just don't sharpen I use for this, but I don't like it.  Of course I haven't replaced it because a unitasker for only Apples seems absurd.

Thank you. I will check these links and send them to him. He is curious what you use and wanted to see as he is getting pretty damn good.

For me it's all about passion and knowing my limitations.  I have tens of thousands of dollars in mechanical tools.  I take pride in my mechanical work; I understand I have depth of knowledge and talent in that area and I always strive to do the best I can, so I will always use the best tool I feel I need for the job.  Cooking, I suck at.  I understand I have limitations and I could never be talented enough, nor do I have the desire to improve my lackluster skill set, so the $7 knife and comfort at my current talent level is satisfactory to me.

I buy a new 30-40 dollar knife every couple years. Run it down the steel from time to time. Once it gets rough, I buy a new one. Good middle ground i guess. At least I don't feel like I am trying to gnaw through stuff when I cut it. 

I cheated at cooking thanksgiving dinner and went to my sisters to eat. As much as I like hosting, I did not complain.

One could be a monk on a mountain in the Himalayas or a truck driver in LA, and life will still have an ebb and flow of contentness and distress. Nothing there to be jealous of. 

No one gets off this planet alive! Yeah!

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

For me it's all about passion and knowing my limitations.  I have tens of thousands of dollars in mechanical tools.  I take pride in my mechanical work; I understand I have depth of knowledge and talent in that area and I always strive to do the best I can, so I will always use the best tool I feel I need for the job.  Cooking, I suck at.  I understand I have limitations and I could never be talented enough, nor do I have the desire to improve my lackluster skill set, so the $7 knife and comfort at my current talent level is satisfactory to me.

Hey, I think I seen the Snap-On guy drive by!!!

That motherfucker can keep on driving.   The internet has saved me from him.  He did get a good chunk back when I was an electrician though.

13 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

That motherfucker can keep on driving.   The internet has saved me from him.  He did get a good chunk back when I was an electrician though.

Ha. That's what I said when I was 12 and dad traded the go-cart for an 11 piece screwdriver set.

Who the fuck charges 400-500 dollars for a set of screwdrivers? The snap-on guy, that's who. 

16 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I was kidding.  Mostly because I am jealous as well.  Although I am sure there are certain things in life we take for granted that others greatly stress over.  Just not sure what they are.

We don't stress over keeping up with people who put vacuums into the word regardless of just about any other quality.  That is unless yoh are trying to keep up with the Kardashians!

:-D

Got that going for us at least.

Poor Kanye.

14 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

The moment I find I'm bad at something I slam my head against it until I find myself at least not embarrassed to participate with others.

I have no reason for this.  Fucked up form of FOMO or need to be accepted maybe?  Lol

16 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Ha. That's what I said when I was 12 and dad traded the go-cart for an 11 piece screwdriver set.

Who the fuck charges 400-500 dollars for a set of screwdrivers? The snap-on guy, that's who. 

I found a snap on flashlight the other day on the side of the road.

22 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

I found a snap on fleshligh the other day on the side of the road.

I recommend washing it out first. 

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

Best source for reload bullets and powder?

Brownells or local is my guess!  What ever you are doing, let us know how it turns out.  I want to buy a rifle this year... only had the optic for nearly a decade...

R2, I feel this is all you.  

2 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Best source for reload bullets and powder?

Local is easy for powder, hazmat charges for shipping makes small purchases expensive.   Pick your favorite online place for bullets.   

On 11/25/2017 at 12:48 PM, dem beats said:

I recommend washing it out first. 

Lol I just noticed that....

Finished product. 

No automatic alt text available.

1 minute ago, nem said:

Finished product. 

Gorgeous.  Is he selling these?

Yes he does sell them. Each knife is per order or request. This is the last knife for this year. He needs to focus on his journeymen test. So it may be a little while until he is back to making knives for people.

If you would like on I can ask him to make me one and send it to you when he gets back in it.

No two knives will be the same.

That is fucking awesome!

33 minutes ago, nem said:

Finished product. 

Oh god.  So pretty.....

Must not spend money.

Also, for reference, I like a non molded handle.  Even that raw waxy wood they use for sashimi knives is great.  No matter how much plant or animal gore gets on it I feel I have grip.  Even octagons are better for me than a palm swell.

https://goo.gl/images/8mAQLt

Exactly what I was contemplating.  I too have preferred a round or hex and not hand formed, but truly wondering in a chef knife what diameter or how big I'd want it.  If I had something custom made I'd like it to be made to exactly how I want it.  Just handed contemplated that before.