Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

24 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Actually all modern motors will take boost rather easily.  The Ecoboost takes more really well.  The new 4s that both GM & Ford have are also on par or even ahead of the Germans in many ways.  If they would just now make their interiors on par I could be rid of the German expense.

By non changeable, I was trying to say, engines that are sold with boost and not intended to run NA, like the ecoboost.

I never know if my responses sound like I'm being an asshole.  Not that you are not completely aware of exactly how big of an asshole I am.

I thought you said only 8's.  Pretty much anything will take boost, the only question is how much.

Craziest are the boost they are throwing at snowmobiles.  600hp from less than 1000cc.  YIKES!

27 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I thought you said only 8's.  Pretty much anything will take boost, the only question is how much.

Ahh. My premise is that unless it's modern, no US engine other than the v8s were worth boosting.  Because a swap would provide more for less at the end of the day.

The reason I feel that way, is until recently all of the American engineers kind of had a "why build up a 6 when the 8 is right there."  Where the Japanese and the Germans saw value in the smaller engines being build to take more.  Again, maybe I'm wrong but even Seth's engine had to be really modified to handle all the power, where as a solid LS or even a 4.6 out of an old special 'stang could get north of 500hp without batting an eye.  And with how light and small the LS was.... it's hard to see value in building anything but an 8.

The rest of the world doesn't have v8s hanging out in broken down trucks ever 45 feet either, so it's really hard to argue for American non v8s unless it's super modern.  Exactly what you said.

I don't have the engineer language, so I'm probably stumbling hard here but I think my logic is sound. 

37 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Craziest are the boost they are throwing at snowmobiles.  600hp from less than 1000cc.  YIKES!

I saw a drag one at BIR.   Maybe the Army drag race team? They had do narrow the rubber track and turn down the power because they had trouble keeping the human on the "sled" because of how much contact patch and power to weight they had.  

Same time my buddy told me the most fun I could have was to be behind the engine after they did a race rebuild.  Plug your ears and just feel the vibrations.  Fucker got me good, and everyone around knew it  before I did too.  When I got hit with that could of acid exhaust I was a wreck. Lol

Signed the offer letter yesterday.  Need to make a smooth exit here now.  Was a very introspective drive into work.  I want to have all the oysters and beers this weekend.

13 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Signed the offer letter yesterday.  Need to make a smooth exit here now.  Was a very introspective drive into work.  I want to have all the oysters and beers this weekend.

Eat some for me.

Those oysters I had in that little place near/in Mystic CT was the only time I felt like it was more "fresh " tasting than what I have had here.  Even the cheep oysters at Stalla's(local overpriced seafood resteraunt and bar) were as good as I had anywhere on any coast... until the upper NE.

That was real.

Edited by dem beats

Also, so many congrats Aaron, it awesome to see a good guy have something swing his way!

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Great news!! Congrats. :)

2 hours ago, mikel7829 said:

:P

You sure thats not your pink motor?

That's funny on so many levels, if you only knew.

Wish step brother lived closer... I would probably be at his shop on the daily.  He is down in Tucson Arizona.  They do a lot of rat rod biulds and chopped n' dropped old cars.  Quite a few 4x's also.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Last I rode was when they first started boosting them.  That and some AV gas and they were pulling wheelies off the start line. 

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

Also, so many congrats Aaron, it awesome to see a good guy have something swing his way!

Thanks, where I am at currently is not a place for someone who has my kind of background and is goal oriented.  I am not going to go on a rant, but it was not good and I have been here over 5 years.  Never once even a cost of living adjustment and 2 people the same age as me, ahead of me in time with the company.  I didn't want to wake up in 10 years having lost more time here not making any more, still doing well below my capabilities, education, and experience.  I only came back here due to what was yet another lay off from someone's poor decisions made above me.  There was a great deal of internal pressure when I hit 40, took on a monster mortgage, made peace with SSA not really being an income, and needed to push forward, work closer to home, bring in much more, and find ways to get more time with my son.

9 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

Great news!! Congrats. :)

Thank you. ;)

3 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Thanks, where I am at currently is not a place for someone who has my kind of background and is goal oriented.  I am not going to go on a rant, but it was not good and I have been here over 5 years.  Never once even a cost of living adjustment and 2 people the same age as me, ahead of me in time with the company.  I didn't want to wake up in 10 years having lost more time here not making any more, still doing well below my capabilities, education, and experience.  I only came back here due to what was yet another lay off from someone's poor decisions made above me.  There was a great deal of internal pressure when I hit 40, took on a monster mortgage, made peace with SSA not really being an income, and needed to push forward, work closer to home, bring in much more, and find ways to get more time with my son.

You don't ever need to complain or worry about it if you do.

Knowing that people I look up to deal with struggles is important.  As long as you feel safe sharing, it's probably helping someone brotato chip.

Just super happy to see something good happen for someone good.

Edited by dem beats

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

I'm sure Seth could help me out more, but I would say the only American engines worth FI are the v8s.  I know he made a nasty boosted 6.  And there are plenty of German and Japanese 6s that hum harder than a whore who works for tips, but to the US engine designers they feel like an afterthought or only to be used as part of a specific, non changeable FI system. Like the new Ford GT or their new turbo 4s.

If it's not designed for boost, it IS an afterthought.  There's no way around that, being foreign or domestically designed.    Nobody designs an engine for boost with no intention of running boost, early or modern.  The ONLY plus of the newer engines is their increased thermal efficiency.  That is the only reason you are seeing boosted engines producing more power now. 

8 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Congratulations! :woot:

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

If it's not designed for boost, it IS an afterthought.  There's no way around that, being foreign or domestically designed.    Nobody designs an engine for boost with no intention of running boost, early or modern.  The ONLY plus of the newer engines is their increased thermal efficiency.  That is the only reason you are seeing boosted engines producing more power now. 

Thank you.  I was looking for the causation to the correlation.  

:D

I think with a lot of the American V8s they were "overbuilt", and thus better for boost.  Maybe thats just in my head because I focused on how to boost affordable American V8s....

Edited by dem beats

I had a big reply typed out, but I decided to simplify.

I will agree that back in the 60s and early seventies the engines were overbuilt.  Performance was what sold cars, and they just had to build things differently back then.

Nowadays, cost and efficiency are what matter.  We see cast cranks, pistons, and powdered metal rods because they are cheaper and easier to manufacture.  The manufactures build a small tolerance in them, but no more than they need to make it through the warranty. 

The only "affordable" stock engines to boost are small block Chevys and the latest GM small blocks, and the only reason they are affordable is because they are so plentiful.  You can throw boost or juice at them with reckless abandon and just buy another one at virtually any junkyard for a few hundred dollars and be running again in a day.

Fair enough.  I always think of the Ford 4.6 and how often they threw a slightly built one in cars for no reason.

Maurader, the cobras, etc.  They were so underpowered for their strength it was crazy.  I get Ford was going for super reliable and the fact that those in the know would be able to turn them into fire breathers without a rebuild.

That's what I understood from reading all those books and shit when I was trying to build the expy

Fist of iron or something like that from the engine designers of the cobras, and other guys who wrote paper after paper on it.  I think you directed me to some.  

I learned more about brakes from your posts and who you referenced Ryan that anyone.  Lol

When it comes to Ford stuff I soaked up everything ya said and then filled my brain with all that useless stuff.

Speaking of useless fun stuff.... have you guys watched the motertrend series where they discuss different aspects of racing and debunk myths? Brakes, aero, FI.....

Its great.

Going to hang the heavy bag.  

Any more time on the elliptical and I'm going to hit something anyway. Should be fun once it's below freezing.

7 hours ago, dem beats said:

Going to hang the heavy bag.  

Any more time on the elliptical and I'm going to hit something anyway. Should be fun once it's below freezing.

Give it a few good beatings for me. Lmao