Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

So rant time. I get super frustrated with people always raving about my cooking, asking how I do it and completely ignoring it.

Put salt pepper and butter on turkey. Put it on a rack in the oven with something under it and a thermometer in the breast. Wait till it reads 160*. Not any harder than what anyone else does, but instead people don't the exact same way they always have and then use the thermometer to find it's 200* and wonder why mine tastes better...

Last turkey I made I completely disassembled and sous vide the meat, cooked the skin in the oven, and roasted the carcass for gravy.  Texture, taste and results were better than any other turkey I've made.

As for the normal way, my oven has a "perfect turkey" button which works amazingly well lol.

I make a butter spread with salt pepper and you guessed it butter. I rub it under the skin and inject some into the thicker meats. Then smoke it in the smoker for X amount of hours. I say X amount because based on size of turkey and heat of smoker. Then pull it out let it cool while covered and place in refrigerator overnight. Next day add water to pan for gravy and cover back up place in oven 350 for 2to3 hours and and its ready to serve. And then you strain the drippings and you get some bomb tasting smoked gravy.

I just roasted mine in the oven overnight for 13 hours at 170.  Came out great!  I'm a huge fan of deep frying them, but I've been doing that so long, I just wanted to use the oven this year.

I had prime rib for the big feast. We did a smoked ham and roasted turkey too. 

Traffic was stopped and then fucked up for hours here yesterday, so the vice president could get from the airport to his vacation pad. What a fuck show. 

Ivy, My oldest daughter, turned 21 yesterday. Damn I'm starting to feel old AF. lol

Hardly see the other kid much anymore either... with school, 2 cheer teams and a job. Atleast she is rocking the 4.0!!

19 hours ago, dem beats said:

I'm going to visit y'all for the holidays! 

You are more than welcome my man. :)

18 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I just roasted mine in the oven overnight for 13 hours at 170.  Came out great!  I'm a huge fan of deep frying them, but I've been doing that so long, I just wanted to use the oven this year.

I have yet to try a fried turkey. 

2 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Hardly see the other kid much anymore either... with school, 2 cheer teams and a job. Atleast she is rocking the 4.0!!

Glad I didn't scare her too bad then.

This might honestly be my last holiday at home.  I feel really done with it all.  I kind of want to just be somewhere not home.

It sounds sad but it really sounds good too me 

The W's fam gives me that same fuzzy and not warm feeling sometimes as well :(

Had to clean the carbs on the boys sled 2x to get it to run.  After the first it idled great, started fine, but wouldn't spin the track.  Almost like the clutches were stuck or the fuel pump was bad.  Something was obviously clogged as a 2nd cleaning solved it.  Stupid teeny little carb is a pain and known to be finicky, but wtf?

5 hours ago, dem beats said:

This might honestly be my last holiday at home.  I feel really done with it all.  I kind of want to just be somewhere not home.

It sounds sad but it really sounds good too me 

We are getting to that point. Maybe Christmas in Mexico next year!

Anybody have any good tips for doing a whole chicken in the oven? Simple?

7 hours ago, mikel7829 said:

Anybody have any good tips for doing a whole chicken in the oven? Simple?

I personally cut them into pieces first.  That way as each is done you can remove them.

Butter, salt and pepper. Cook at 350, whole, spatchcock or cut into pieces. Use Thermometer and pull at 160-165. Will be awesome

Ate a pickled red habanero out of a container of spicy pickles. I'm paying for it today...

A little behind on the forums as I just started a new job.  So it has been an adjustment period and loads to learn and long hours so far.  Going to be on the road a little bit, doing some schmoozing and trying to land big contracts. 

On a side note, Matt ( @dem beats), the new work machine has a GTX 1050 ti, and I have it melting faces on BOINC already.  Half the CPU cores of my previous machine, but bonkers GPU power, doing some tasks in under 13 mins that would take almost 3x the time on other machines I have used.

For the chicken I did sea salt,lemon pepper,touch of garlic powder and butter..figured I would go at about 300 degrees for a little bit then crank it on up to 350 degrees for a bit..Should this be ok? Or should I just go with one temp?