Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

4 hours ago, topgun said:

Your sound bar post made me hopeful that they would be reasonable.   

If you can run a receiver still it is much easier.  That defeated the purpose for me though.  I need something for now that can be bedroom later in life.  Going to remodel the living space and when I do the stereo will be built in.  Wanted a reasonable replacement.

$1500 ML is on sale for $699 at Best Buy right now.  Needs a sub, but that isn't hard.

4 hours ago, topgun said:

Your sound bar post made me hopeful that they would be reasonable.   

If you can run a receiver still it is much easier.  That defeated the purpose for me though.  I need something for now that can be bedroom later in life.  Going to remodel the living space and when I do the stereo will be built in.  Wanted a reasonable replacement.

$1500 ML is on sale for $699 at Best Buy right now.  Needs a sub, but that isn't hard.

The problem with ALL the soundbars is they are small.

To not localize a sub you need a real enclosure and a driver that can do something.

If you have to put the sub right up next to the TV and bar then you might as well put a bunch of other shit there too.

Not that I am not stating the obvious, but I was hoping.

The uber array from Yamaha may have enough cojones.

I don't even consider a sub when purchasing a soundbar.  It goes without saying to your previous comment.  If I'm committing to the sub, then I'm going all in and the soundbar is pointless anyways.

I just ordered all the shit for my little portable audio system too.  I went a little overboard and with shipping, I hit $102, but I think I'm better off than spending the planned $50 and not being 100% happy.  I still might not be as I made some compromises, but it's par for the course.

Since we are on the home theater issues..Does anyone know where I could find a 55" replacement screen for a older sanyo LED TV ? Just cant bring myself to toss it..I have not been able to find the screen not sure why it's not avalible..I really dont won't to purchase through sanyo..probably cost more for the screen than I paid for the whole thing.. which was under $200.00 brand new from wal-mart... few years back they had 40 sumthin inch tv's on black friday for under $200.00 not sure the exact price..I gave the money to someone who was going because I do not do the black friday crowds...Anyway they came back with a guarantee card for me...I was like wtf is this?..They told me they had ran out of stock and I was gauranteed to get one shipped to the store within 2 weeks...A week or so later they called the person I gave the money to and told them to come pick up their TV..To make a long story short this is what wal-mart gave them..It was priced at right around $500.00 for that model..Guess thats what I got for having to wait idk..But all it needs is the display screen good little tv for what it is...I got upset and chunked the remote at it...lol still works just has a big black spot in the middle..Anyway where could I find a replacement screen?

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

How big are they/

They are the FE127 drivers in a Mileva plan build, about 3' tall, 12" wide and 6" deep just eyeballing them.  

No substage currently, running off a receiver, all my rack gear is in the closet.  

10 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I don't even consider a sub when purchasing a soundbar.  It goes without saying to your previous comment.  If I'm committing to the sub, then I'm going all in and the soundbar is pointless anyways.

Unless you buy the Martin Logan or Bowers & Wilkins soundbar.  Then they can blend.  Or one step better build your own with real drivers. :)

9 hours ago, mikel7829 said:

Since we are on the home theater issues..Does anyone know where I could find a 55" replacement screen for a older sanyo LED TV ? Just cant bring myself to toss it..I have not been able to find the screen not sure why it's not avalible..I really dont won't to purchase through sanyo..probably cost more for the screen than I paid for the whole thing.. which was under $200.00 brand new from wal-mart... few years back they had 40 sumthin inch tv's on black friday for under $200.00 not sure the exact price..I gave the money to someone who was going because I do not do the black friday crowds...Anyway they came back with a guarantee card for me...I was like wtf is this?..They told me they had ran out of stock and I was gauranteed to get one shipped to the store within 2 weeks...A week or so later they called the person I gave the money to and told them to come pick up their TV..To make a long story short this is what wal-mart gave them..It was priced at right around $500.00 for that model..Guess thats what I got for having to wait idk..But all it needs is the display screen good little tv for what it is...I got upset and chunked the remote at it...lol still works just has a big black spot in the middle..Anyway where could I find a replacement screen?

A new tv will be a WAY better choice.

2 hours ago, topgun said:

They are the FE127 drivers in a Mileva plan build, about 3' tall, 12" wide and 6" deep just eyeballing them.  

No substage currently, running off a receiver, all my rack gear is in the closet.  

Understandable.  In that volume you can surely gain doing something else and only give up something you may not miss.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:14 PM, topgun said:

What sort of price range are you looking at being in? 

Aiming to be under $400, but we will see how parts and material shake out.

On 1/4/2018 at 6:49 PM, Tirefryr said:

Change the look a little bit and market them as home audio drivers so you can charge more money.

With more money, we will develop another set of mids and tweets.  Still need to expand into 8" versions, but we just don't have the funding yet.

2 hours ago, CrescendoCowboy said:

I’m the new guy just wandering around aimlessly....wanted to say hi.

:WELCOME:

20 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Understandable.  In that volume you can surely gain doing something else and only give up something you may not miss.

I think I've got 8x of these mids, and 3 of these tweeters sitting in a box somewhere waiting on a MTM build...  Looks like I ordered them in 2011.  

https://www.parts-express.com/aura-ns6-255-8a-6-paper-cone-neodymium-magnet-woofer--299-030

https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-bc25sc06-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1028

10 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I just ordered all the shit for my little portable audio system too.  I went a little overboard and with shipping, I hit $102, but I think I'm better off than spending the planned $50 and not being 100% happy.  I still might not be as I made some compromises, but it's par for the course.

What are you going to use for the case, to mount everything in?! 

Have been following a cool DYI audio and electronics group. Dudes be building boom-boxes out of all kinds of things. Has been sweet to see all the different ways people set them up.

27 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Aiming to be under $400, but we will see how parts and material shake out.

What group are the Evil MT builds in? I follow a ton of them... most you are in also, but did no see them. 

Mila's surgery went good. They keep her an extra night, otherwise everything went smooth. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers. :)

2 hours ago, CrescendoCowboy said:

I’m the new guy just wandering around aimlessly....wanted to say hi.

Welcome new guy. Whats good in your hood?

On 1/6/2018 at 8:56 PM, ///M5 said:

Have a box full of drivers to send to Jared to play with.  Been in my car since before Christmas.  My lazy ass didn't want to wait in line pre-Christmas for the shipping nonsense and has forgotten since.  A few of them will be in said walls when the remodel is done.  Going to need a shitload of channels though as the whole house will be active.

Should be about perfect timing. hehe :D

First test boxes are cut with hopes of assembling tomorrow! Ordering the rest of the parts this morning.No automatic alt text available.

39 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

A new tv will be a WAY better choice.

^^^What he said.

If you want to shocked and awed go test drive a Samsung 8000 series. Is the best bang for buck. Anything less you are paying for a quarter of the quality at only 20% less the cost.