Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

4 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Will the battery powered unit even cut mdf?  

Hahahaha

Oops I meant 120 wall plug version.

I'm on the cell phone and linked too fast.

25 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Combo kit???

Yea like with drill,impact,sawzaw,or skill saw and flashlight type combo atleast 18 volt..I just want a deccent one to keep in a vehicle.I seen Home Depot had a Ryobi combo for the price range im looking for.But I never owned or used Ryobi are they any count? I will find the link to the one im talking about.

Just now, dem beats said:

I don't trust anything without looking unless it says Hilti. 

Even the Milwake brand is now owned by the same Chinese guys as ryobi so it's a case by case basis.

I agree really one of the best drills I ever had was a hilti battery life out lasted dewalts x10

But I am not wanting to pay the price of the Hilti at the moment..Lol specially what it will be used for.Hilti's are pretty expensive but worth it really..I love their hammer drills they will eat threw concrete like it is nothing!

5 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I don't trust anything without looking unless it says Hilti. 

Even the Milwake brand is now owned by the same Chinese guys as ryobi so it's a case by case basis.

I did not know that Ryobi was made by Milwaukee.So Milwaukee is the parent company? So pretty much hit and miss then.Is it probably better then Craftsman? They have some in that range.I did own a 18 volt Craftsman combo kit back in the day.It wasn't to bad for very very basic projects but nothing I would rely on at a job site.

Parent company is meaningless.  Black and Decker owns DeWalt, Porter Cable, Stanley, Facom, and many others. They also make all Craftsman power tools, Makita, Delta, and Hitachi.

15 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Parent company is meaningless.  Black and Decker owns DeWalt, Porter Cable, Stanley, Facom, and many others. They also make all Craftsman power tools, Makita, Delta, and Hitachi.

So is Ryobi any count?

The Ryobi tools I've used have  been shit. 

2 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Ok that awnsers my question then.lol

Any suggestions on any combo kits maybe in the $300 range?

22 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Let me rephrase, ryobi and Miluake are now owned by the same people and made in the same plant with mostly the same parts.  Ryobi got brought up a bit, mostly in design not hard parts, and brands like Milwaukee got cheaper parts like no more hard gearing.

4 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

All I ever really used alot is dewalt or Hilti

10 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

Ok that awnsers my question then.lol

Any suggestions on any combo kits maybe in the $300 range?

$300 would barely get me a drill kit with batteries, and I'm fairly certain that the next time I buy a drill it's gonna start with an H and cost closer to $700.

I used to be a Hilti and Bosch snob myself.  I purchased a Ridgid set because I was sick of replacing batteries and Ridgid has a lifetime warranty on theirs.  My $200 drill and impact kit gets constant abuse, and never misses a lick.  I am still on the original batteries 2 years later.  My other tools would eat batteries every  5-6 months, so I will be buying Ridgid from here on out. 

The owner of my company recently invested in a new Ridgid table say and compound miter saw as well, and I am duly impressed with their power tools as well.

7 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I used to be a Hilti and Bosch snob myself.  I purchased a Ridgid set because I was sick of replacing batteries and Ridgid has a lifetime warranty on theirs.  My $200 drill and impact kit gets constant abuse, and never misses a lick.  I am still on the original batteries 2 years later.  My other tools would eat batteries every  5-6 months, so I will be buying Ridgid from here on out. 

The owner of my company recently invested in a new Ridgid table say and compound miter saw as well, and I am duly impressed with their power tools as well.

So your saying Rigid may be a option for me? I did see a few combo kits kinda close to my budget I am wanting to fork out..Like I said this will just be for basic protects here and there,not like I will be building a house with it..I am pretty familiar with power tools but just a basic set I have no clue as to what is halfway decent..Like Matt was saying Hilti is contactor type power tools thats the sort of thing I am used to. What is a deccent Rigid set you would recommend?

On 2/10/2018 at 3:47 PM, mikel7829 said:

What type of LS you going with?What size? Do people ever try to go with a 6.2 in a Rx7 like out of a newer Camaro or such? Bet they would be a beast!!

Not going with anything.  Zero time to take on a project like that.

21 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Nothing wrong with dewalt.  I want their corded grinder, and the guys who have their drills can keep up with my Makita no problem now.   I think dewalt got the best combination of the order of scale.  The stuff that got cheaper no one cares about and some of the problems they have had gone away.  Your batter comment is true for a bunch on the older units.  I have always used Makita as they used better internal cells and tech for the battery.  Forget the tool parts even, they made better juice boxes and got more from them.  Probably used better individual cells. Now all the big brands use good LG, Samsung, or "custom" 18650s.  The lower end stuff usually goes cheep on those consumables. So I am 100% in agreement that the gap has closed, but so has the price gap.  The best tools in the world are now accessible to me and aren't an order of magnitude more.  Just significantly more.

I am on my only Makita drill in my life and it got daily use for 2 summers and the batteries there are still fine too.  The Chuck is toast now, got some death wobble to her, but no home owner would know or care.  Same 2 batteries and it's been left in way below zero and still came back somehow. I do try to keep them topped off however and swap them before I feel it loose too much power.  I'm sure both batteries only have 50% of the stank on them now, but that's fine foe how little I swing it.  Next time I'll go whole hog, or just buy a new 18v pack if I'm not working on projects.

I am now on the other side of where you are, i dont want to get jobs done, I constantly find myself looking for more precision, power, or durability from my tools.  I want a better time when i use my toys... er i mean tools.

I will say that crapsman router is the biggest disappointment ever. It looks so beastly and had all the right numbers on the box.  What crap.  Time to get a 220 installed in the garage and a real fucking router. 

29 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Not going with anything.  Zero time to take on a project like that.

I understand totally..It is going to be hard for me to find the time to do a simple 5.7 swap in this blazer I have..I am sure it's not that simple to do a LS swap in a RX7.Do they have a kit for that? Or is there a lot of fabricating and such in the process? It would for sure be cool though.

10 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

I understand totally..It is going to be hard for me to find the time to do a simple 5.7 swap in this blazer I have..I am sure it's not that simple to do a LS swap in a RX7.Do they have a kit for that? Or is there a lot of fabricating and such in the process? It would for sure be cool though.

There is kits for almost anything, but there will always need custom work to make shit fit or work correctly.

Just mark and plungewith the skill saw, clean up the corners with the sawzall.  Be careful with kickback on plunging.   

Unless your using the cordless tools for you job, no reason to drop crazy money on Hilti.

If they are all the same size, 1/4 plywood template and a router well do it as well.