Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

What's up fam! long time no lurk for me and it looks like the forum is pretty slow.

What's everyone getting into nowadays? being parents and grandparents ? :( 

damn, always nice to see old forum members return.  The generation is all about social media apps, not internet forums...  It's a generational thing i guess.

And yeah, I've got 3 kids now, and many others on here have been hitting big milestones in life as well.  Life can be very busy...

Established my hook up for ceramic supplies. Guess all that is left is to do a couple car and let them advertise for me. :)

12 hours ago, nigel said:

damn, always nice to see old forum members return.  The generation is all about social media apps, not internet forums...  It's a generational thing i guess.

And yeah, I've got 3 kids now, and many others on here have been hitting big milestones in life as well.  Life can be very busy...

I def expected to hear that.. fcking smartphones killing real social activities 

3 hours ago, nem said:

Established my hook up for ceramic supplies. Guess all that is left is to do a couple car and let them advertise for me. :)

ceramic? auto coating??? i need in lol

Come do the wives Escape and touch up my Fiat. 

Auto and leather. If I feel comfortable, I may just start doing it for money.

The worst is the boat.  The gelcoat even when waxed fades in the sun in a week. Stupid cheap blue gel coat.

I've never tried a ceramic on it...

It floats in the sun all summer though so keeping it up woudl be RIDICULOUS

Ceramic would work.  It's a UV blocker.

On the topic of car finishes...  I haven't waxed a car in 15 years.  What do I want to go buy for both the new Escape and for the old Fiat?  The Fiat is in OK paint shape, but it isn't a modern paint job so one must be gentle.  

I don't have much desire to spend a bunch of money, nor desire to do a bunch of paint correction and sink hours and hours in.  

This would be hand work, I don't have a polisher/buffer.  

If you guys were closer I would do your vehicles and boat :)

Clay bar, polish, then wax should give you what you are after.

11 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Ceramic would work.  It's a UV blocker.

I wonder how long.  Wax literally last 2 weeks.  The gelcoat I have is SUPER susceptible to sun fade :(

36 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I wonder how long.  Wax literally last 2 weeks.  The gelcoat I have is SUPER susceptible to sun fade :(

The ceramic makes a molecular bond with the paint.  It literally takes years to wear.  Of course gel coat is a bit softer than paint, but I'd guess you'd get a couple years out of it with most wear coming from the surface abrasion with the water.

3 hours ago, topgun said:

On the topic of car finishes...  I haven't waxed a car in 15 years.  What do I want to go buy for both the new Escape and for the old Fiat?  The Fiat is in OK paint shape, but it isn't a modern paint job so one must be gentle.  

I don't have much desire to spend a bunch of money, nor desire to do a bunch of paint correction and sink hours and hours in.  

This would be hand work, I don't have a polisher/buffer.  

Harbor Freight has a great DA buffer for around $60.  Perfect for a beginner.  Eastwood sells a great Norton kit that has all the pads, compound and instructions you need for around $100.  These two will allow you to do anything from a color sand and buff to a simple cut and/or polish and was. Check their site for Liquid Ice.  I've been using Norton products since my dad threw me in a paint booth 30 years ago.  Love them!

If you want simplicity, stick with a polish followed by a wax every few months depending on environment.  If you want to go the ceramic route, it's highly advisable, but paint correction is necessary before sealing or else you will seal the imperfections below the ceramic.  Ceramic also requires a respirator to apply.  It has some nasty VOCs.  If the manufacturer states you don't need a respirator, it's not ceramic, it's a polymer.  The polymers aren't bad themselves, providing nearly the protection of ceramics, but not the longevity.

Respirator, gloves, and safety glasses. Plus your cloths will smell like the ceramic after you are done.

When I first got it I smelled it in the house like a moron. The wife was not impressed.

I have this polish coming to try. Have you ever used this Ryan?

http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Tru_Polish-details.aspx

I have not.  I usually just use the Liquid Ice unless I hand polish, then I just use Meguiars.

Spent the first half of day 2 on this boat puking my brains out.

Didn't even earn it.

Lol

I want a new pressure washer.