Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

If I can weasel down the price on the taig I may buy it with the goal of using it to learn about what I really want to buy.  Figure it will always be worth $500 so if I can grab it for $800 then worst case I am out $300 if I flip.  Should even be better than that.  For what I need to drill holes in it would suffice, or worst case I can use it to make a jig to then use the hand drill.

I don't recall seeing a drill chuck in it, so it uses collets.  First step would be knowing what collets they are and having the full set to be able to run the proper drill bits.  If it isn't set up for a drill chuck, that'll eat up almost all your Z axis room.  

39 minutes ago, topgun said:

Even if you bought this mill, you'd sink another 1500 in basic tooling for it.  

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tld/d/bridgeport-vertical-mill/6626461077.html

DRO is for fancy people.

:D

The only mill I've ever used was probably just over 2000 pounds and it never had a problem.

That said, it wasnt for anything mission critical that lives depended on.  I would have personally trusted every cut, but it for sure was just a basic type of mill.

When I said 2000 I meant 1 ton.

My bad.  I should have clarified. 

Did you get your A/C going Matt?

10 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

Did you get your A/C going Matt?

Hey!

Yeah I did.  Thanks for asking Mike. The thermostat was being a bitch and not sending the signal.  Somehow the connection was tight enough to look like it was running... but wasnt sending the signal.

I felt proud that I figured out how to tighten the tension, but I guess I over tightened it.  The tech backed that off a bit, and the agressive rattling stopped.  He had no idea how a belt went from fine to so loose it couldnt spin the blower wheel.  Everything was fine however.  Just tightened all bolts and collars on the motor.

The Taig is an exception.  Sherline the other.  The rest are all Sieg's rebranded from China.  

If he doesnt sell it by Sunday i will buy it.

I know it isnt ideal but it will cost me nothing to own while i search for that.

It will cost you whatever you spend on it.

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

Hey!

Yeah I did.  Thanks for asking Mike. The thermostat was being a bitch and not sending the signal.  Somehow the connection was tight enough to look like it was running... but wasnt sending the signal.

I felt proud that I figured out how to tighten the tension, but I guess I over tightened it.  The tech backed that off a bit, and the agressive rattling stopped.  He had no idea how a belt went from fine to so loose it couldnt spin the blower wheel.  Everything was fine however.  Just tightened all bolts and collars on the motor.

:woot: good timing.  Going to be hot as SHIT tomorrow.  We have 2 soccer games too.  I feel bad in the heat coaching, poor boys running have to really be feeling it.  My poor son has asthma as well.

Scored both his teams goals on Wednesday and did the same today.  Had two called back by seriously BS ref'ing on Wed as well.  

I may lose my job next year though as he may have a hired coach if he keeps playing like this.

Cost to me Ryan is solely buying price - liquidity price.  From what this comes with parts wise I am ahead day 1.

At least that is what ebay listings tell me.  Worst case that means they are all 25% optimistic.  In that case I lose a couple hundred bucks.  I'd rather do that than buy a chinese drill press for $250.

I also realize it isn't a good drill press.  Realistically I need the capability to make jigs more than a press anyways.   An easy accurate way to do that goes a long way.

Ha, currently I need to drill and tap about 4 holes.  Don't want to do it with my hand drill.  So I started shopping for a better way.  This will do that.

@///M5

I'm glad the AC is working too.  Furnace is so old the tech said it would take a few days to get parts if that blower or the bearings on it went out.

It's awesome that you love coaching so much.  The boys will always remember that.

When it comes to tools, I'm just trying to spend from your pockets and then come use your toys! 

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

:woot: good timing.  Going to be hot as SHIT tomorrow.  We have 2 soccer games too.  I feel bad in the heat coaching, poor boys running have to really be feeling it.  My poor son has asthma as well.

You northerners are so cute.

Need new headphones again. Going to see if I can get work to pay for a pair. At the moment I use my headphones 90% of the time talking to my colleague who works remotely.

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

Hey!

A lot of times wires will break into on your thermostat wire and still look intacked.You can actually bend then a couple of times and they will snap.Vibrations from other mechanical issues can seldom play a factor in those breaking from a vibrating air handler as well "not real common though".But I have seen them damaged and broke into as well from a loose connection even though its low voltage it still will vibrate and generate heat and could cause a poor connection.I would just pull a new wire for your furnace/air handler and another for your condenser and put in a basic Honeywell Pro300..what model number is is? Should be on a panel on your furnace.

30 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Our heat index was higher than AZ actually.

I did see some Texas channels giving MN the "Bless your heart" treatment over the heat though.

Lol

2 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

A lot of times wires will break into on your thermostat wire and still look intacked.You can actually bend then a couple of times and they will snap.Vibrations from other mechanical issues can seldom play a factor in those breaking from a vibrating air handler as well "not real common though".But I have seen them damaged and broke into as well from a loose connection even though its low voltage it still will vibrate and generate heat and could cause a poor connection.I would just pull a new wire for your furnace/air handler and another for your condenser and put in a basic Honeywell Pro300..what model number is is? Should be on a panel on your furnace.

Oh, I got it fixed.  It was at the thermostat on the wall... maybe I'm using the wrong term.  The connection problem was just the fact it was not seated right.

I think the problem here is that I had 2 unrelated problems, that both resulted in the furnace/AC not working correctly.  The first problem was that the furnace blower motor was running but not turning the blower pulley. That was solved with tension.  The second problem was the thermostat not seated properly to the wall mount.

Completely unrelated but happened at the same time.  Thats why I lost so much sleep trying to figure it all out.

:D

16 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Heat index was 108F on the field.  You southerners forget what humidity does.