Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

4 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Says more light.

Sylvania-xtravision-vs-silverstar-chart.

It doesnt seem like a big difference in color despite the Kelvin based on the pics.  Go with brighter IMO.

Just now, mikel7829 said:

What about the LED conversions?

I've never seen one that outperformed a stock headlight.  Same with HID kits....unless you are budget unlimited.

2 minutes ago, dem beats said:

It doesnt seem like a big difference in color despite the Kelvin based on the pics.  Go with brighter IMO.

Open to other brands, but the comparisons I read 8 ish years ago had SS the winners.

So I only looked at Sylvania, lol.

11 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Open to other brands, but the comparisons I read 8 ish years ago had SS the winners.

I know nothing about them currently.  What I do know is the closer to blue you get, the harder it is on your eye and the more it's going to make your pupils contract.  That means you have worse overall night vision.  

As far as I know, bulbs can only throw so much light on the road(lumens or lux, I'm not sure the measurements) to protect other drivers.  So if you are getting close to that level, a warmer bulb will help you with the contrast on the road.

I'm a flashlight nerd and I can absolutely attest to how much better a nice warm LED is compared to a much higher lumen cool light.  Wiki has a bit on it here in relation to automotive.   It helps cut rain, fog, and snow glare also.  The word that I often hear repeated is the "dazzle" effect of cool lights.  Judging distance and seeing the stereo vision effect of distance is almost destroyed as you get to the white and blue spectrum. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_yellow

Edited by dem beats

The sylvania bulbs I had in the expedition even had a slight yellowish iridescent hue to them that I noticed when I took them out of the plastic.  

It was a massive improvement over the previous bulbs.  

I think they were ultras but that was 10 years ago.

24 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Says more light.

Sylvania-xtravision-vs-silverstar-chart.

I would assume is built with different filament material and gases. I would also suspect the performance comes with the trade off of a lower life expectancy.  Due to burning hotter.

8 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

Daylight/blue doesn’t start until 4600K. 

Totally get it, but it's good to keep a pretty wide margin IMO.

I'll see if I can find something on how the eye can handle higher lumens at warmer light.  Yellowish hue is the most desirable.  I dont want a straight yellow light exactly, but there is a reason it's used in off road and race applications.   That's why I added my own anecdotal commentary. I didnt find the actual iris data in my quick search.

:D

This looks like it might have some data on the subject, but I can honestly just promise that the warmer it is, the easier it is on the eyes.  Red lights are awesome if you dont want to kill night vision, but then you run into really weird problems with that 3D vision that blue or green lights also cause.

:D

Based on those pictures.. it looks like the same color or so close I wouldn't care, but in my shotty old Ford the yellow hue was nice and on my flashlights, the LEDs that leaned "bright white" sucked the most for actual night walks and seeing anything unless it was just used as a spot light.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4001033/

Not sure if you guys know this, but a good friend of ours (Nick Morgan) developed this tool. It comes in very handy and wanted to share it with you all.

https://formablegrabber.com/

Before my FIL passed we made a list of things we were going to do. Sadly he left us before the list was completed, so I have been continuing on picking away at the list.

I wanted to make the underside of my 4runner look as nice as the top does, this was a project we were going to do, so I started it last week and am half way done. I under estimated the amount of work.

IMG_20180716_144524.jpg

IMG_20180716_144555.jpg

IMG_20180716_144612.jpg

Where are the Wilwood's and air bags?

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

I know nothing about them currently.  What I do know is the closer to blue you get, the harder it is on your eye and the more it's going to make your pupils contract.  That means you have worse overall night vision.  

As far as I know, bulbs can only throw so much light on the road(lumens or lux, I'm not sure the measurements) to protect other drivers.  So if you are getting close to that level, a warmer bulb will help you with the contrast on the road.

I'm a flashlight nerd and I can absolutely attest to how much better a nice warm LED is compared to a much higher lumen cool light.  Wiki has a bit on it here in relation to automotive.   It helps cut rain, fog, and snow glare also.  The word that I often hear repeated is the "dazzle" effect of cool lights.  Judging distance and seeing the stereo vision effect of distance is alI most destroyed as you get to the white and blue spectrum. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_yellow

I HATE blue.  Triggers migraines.

3 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I HATE blue.  Triggers migraines.

Similar here.  The blue LED on the PCs in the house are nearly enough to cause me issues.  It absolutely kills the night vision.  Next case will have orange, yellow, and maybe some red lights for that reason alone.  Blue is visually stunning at times, but it's just brutal.

I wish I could link you to the color corrected high rez photos from some of the temperature effects on how images look flat and change depth perception.   I think I found them on a flashlight forum.

Seriously though, I dont know how much of a difference in those lights there are.  I just got the brightest ones and they happened to have a pleasant yellow hue on part of the bulb.  It was fandamntastic for that old expy.

15 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Where are the Wilwood's and air bags?

Would be cool!

47 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Similar here.  The blue LED on the PCs in the house are nearly enough to cause me issues.  It absolutely kills the night vision.  Next case will have orange, yellow, and maybe some red lights for that reason alone.  Blue is visually stunning at times, but it's just brutal.

I wish I could link you to the color corrected high rez photos from some of the temperature effects on how images look flat and change depth perception.   I think I found them on a flashlight forum.

Seriously though, I dont know how much of a difference in those lights there are.  I just got the brightest ones and they happened to have a pleasant yellow hue on part of the bulb.  It was fandamntastic for that old expy.

Exactly why my boat's interior LED's are programmable.  Blue is super nice REALLY low, but if you want it to illuminate the boat then red is the only non-tiring color on them.

The difference on what I can see across the lake in the dark is insane with only red on.

16 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

The difference on what I can see across the lake in the dark is insane with only red on.

Oh damnit. 

I was going to make a Navy/ship reference and I wasnt even thinking about your familiarity with boats.

On Villeques when we went to the bioluminescent bay, and looked up at the milky way, they all used red tinted lights.  It was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my whole life.  My brain barely believed the sky.

Did you guys happen to read anything about were there's a asteroid headed for earth expected to hit in 2135 that could possibly wipe out mankind?

21 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

Reminds me of the movie Armageddon

Me too.

The new Madrid fault has been quite for 7 days now..No micro quakes at all.June 10 they was a 2.1 in way east Tennessee real close to New madrid,MO.. The New Madrid fault usually has micro quakes every 3 or 4 days..Some believe between this month through Sept the fault is going to come alive again comparable to the 1811-1812 New Madrid quakes possibly worse..Also on the 23rd this month we are going to have a electromagnetic storm maybe all this plays a factor in their predictions..The earth rotation slowed down a millisecond that causes crazy activity in these fault plates..Look at Hawaii's volcanos that's been going crazy for a couple of months..Also the crazy activity in Yellowstone..But with the Madrid fault being quite even with the micro quakes usually when they are quite they are building pressure and these faults tend to release their energy.And a 7-8 magnitude quake here would be devastating here the ground here is not the same as it is in California for example the Madrid quakes of 1811-1812 actually swallowed a whole Indian village where Memphis is built today some believe North America will finish splitting the New Madrid fault is actually a scar from a failed split of the continent from millions of years ago.Now the asrtroid,what's really going on here.

I bougjt some Silvania Something Somethings for my 02 and enjoyed them alot. They are a little whiter than my high beams and honestly I prefer using the low beams over the high.