Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Lump is yummy, bituminous coal not so much.  I would assume that is not at all what he meant, but am equally as confused as you since the only word for coal I've ever heard is what we burn to make power.

Chunks of wood on the other hand are yummy as well.  If by coals you meant you are making your own lump out of wood chunks then carry on...but still add wood chunks.

I was getting all frustrated with this whole coal vs lump talk thinking you guys were making a mountain out of a simple abbreviation (natural lump coal). Then I realized I completely typed that wrong. Lol

I meant half lump and half chunks of oak/hickory. 

I usually do a healthy amount of chips but I want to maintain a bit more smoke time to try to develop a better bark.

I don't want to move away from just doing salt and pepper on the outside, but I would to develop better bark.

Exactly why we were confused.  Should I use half lump and half lump?  Lol.

Half chunks of wood will cause more burn and less smoldering.  May actually reduce the smoke.  I do strategically bury my wood chunks so that throughout the burn there is always some smoking wood along with the lump.  More like 5/6 and 1/6 though than half.

I went over my method.  I dont need or want too much smoke after the first 4-5 hours and big chunks of apple seem to last for well past that.  If I open the vent I get a lot of smoke back through the egg.

Chips work just fine as well.  I find myself needing to soak chips to get the smoke I want however.  

I am out of chunks :(  Last of the Apple tree we cut down is gone as of the ribs I did this past week.

49 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I went over my method.  I dont need or want too much smoke after the first 4-5 hours and big chunks of apple seem to last for well past that.

Agree on the need...but I have never done things without excess.

3 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Agree on the need...but I have never done things without excess.

Maybe you can help me then.  I always get too much smoke flavor crusted on the outside if it has a steady stream of heavy/medium smoke after the first 3-4 hours on ribs and 6-10 on butts or brisket.

Do you not get that overpowering smoke flavor or is that something you like?

Fuck resume writing.

This is embarrassing and pissing me off.

At least I'm learning some great cooking tips.... not sure how youtube got me here from resume tip videos, but I'm sure it has to do with Russian hackers.

Oops.

Wrong video, but also amusing.  Meat jelly FTW though.

"Remember there is no such thing as oversized cheburek, only jealousy."

I applied too much fortified wine to my resume and things are off the rails....

Damnit.

6 hours ago, dem beats said:

Maybe you can help me then.  I always get too much smoke flavor crusted on the outside if it has a steady stream of heavy/medium smoke after the first 3-4 hours on ribs and 6-10 on butts or brisket.

Do you not get that overpowering smoke flavor or is that something you like?

Do you temperature control from the top vent or the bottom?

If you use the top, the smoke gets stale.  I'd rather control the fire than the smoke.

Other question is are you building too big of a fire to begin with.  Doing that or closing the top will create an acrid taste instead of yummy mouth watering smoke.  I am personally averse to really smoky, but love smoked food.  Normally I would clarify, but I think you know exactly what I mean.

E

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

Fuck resume writing.

This is embarrassing and pissing me off.

At least I'm learning some great cooking tips.... not sure how youtube got me here from resume tip videos, but I'm sure it has to do with Russian hackers.

ROFL.  J sent me his last week to read.  In classic Sean fashion I ripped it a new ass but gave lots of constructive pointers.

If you are still "writing" then start with a list of accomplishments.  Figure out how to fit them into your tasks and things will be easier.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Do you temperature control from the top vent or the bottom?

If you use the top, the smoke gets stale.  I'd rather control the fire than the smoke.

Other question is are you building too big of a fire to begin with.  Doing that or closing the top will create an acrid taste instead of yummy mouth watering smoke.  I am personally averse to really smoky, but love smoked food.  Normally I would clarify, but I think you know exactly what I mean.

I controll heat from the bottom, just try to get airflow from the top.

I'm doing it the "right way".  I do need another gasket. But it was this way before.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

E

ROFL.  J sent me his last week to read.  In classic Sean fashion I ripped it a new ass but gave lots of constructive pointers.

If you are still "writing" then start with a list of accomplishments.  Figure out how to fit them into your tasks and things will be easier.

I completely  finished that part.  Just got angry about format.  Just angry at how slow I'm working on it.  Only self hate.

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

I controll heat from the bottom, just try to get airflow from the top.

I'm doing it the "right way".  I do need another gasket. But it was this way before.

I have no choice using a controller although for cooks no longer than ribs I don't bother with it.

I need to make a better rain shield and fan holder.  Not ultra convenient.  Wired inside my house with nice plugs outside though.

I leave the holes wide open when smoking. As the pit gets up to temp I close them down very low (a tooth pick could fit through the smallest gaps, the other gaps get slightly bigger). I usually run 10-20 percent. 

Last brisket I accidentally left the holes wide open on the top and the pit held 275 at zero fan. This seems counter intuitive as I type it.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I need to make a better rain shield and fan holder.  Not ultra convenient.  Wired inside my house with nice plugs outside though.

Heater meter all the way!

I throw it in Tupperware with holes cut in the bottom and check via wifi

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

My resume is in a much better place because of your input.

FYI, this is what I see when I try to access the H0P from work.

image.png.1d4bd4b36904679fb26b080840e2e301.png

So, today I autonomously controlled the speed of an 18-wheeler on a heavy duty chassis dyno. Brake and and Acceleration through a dynamic cycle (accel to 25 MPH, hold 25MPH for a while and decel)

It's funny how quickly you get comfortable with a big ass vehicle rocking through the gears without your input.

On another note, the Blose speakers at my desk are so bad, I listened to Pandora from another room through my living room BIB's because they sounded better.

17 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

FYI, this is what I see when I try to access the H0P from work.

image.png.1d4bd4b36904679fb26b080840e2e301.png

I get the same thing when on the wifi at the hospital.

50 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Heater meter all the way!

I throw it in Tupperware with holes cut in the bottom and check via wifi

The problem is my fire door, not the electronics.  They are simple but I have a Viking C4 which has a completely different door.  My cure will be to put it in a screened in porch under a restaurant hood and never go outside to use it anymore and then it can stay wired 100% of the time.

Wonder what about the initials ihop are the problem, that is funny.  Only this topic?

7 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Wonder what about the initials ihop are the problem, that is funny.  Only this topic?

No, that was actually when trying to access the RTMS.

I can check to see if it is just the forum or the entire site/store