Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I do NOT like a french press for tea.  Have to get the leaves out of the water when done.  

Cast iron grate for the BGE is amazing. 

Did pork chops, cant wait to try steaks.

What do you like better about it? It would rust like hell here

16 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I do NOT like a french press for tea.  Have to get the leaves out of the water when done.  

Yeah, I dont get it but the W used it once and liked it. She does second batches with the same leaves and for some reason liked how it worked.  This thing isnt a press actually, it's just a stationary screen in a little teapot.

6 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

What do you like better about it? It would rust like hell here

Loved the sear marks.  The ceramic grate gave out on me eventually and the other stainless one felt like a much less even heat.

I don't know if y'all have these up that way or not but down here we have Mexican grocery stores for the Spanish population..I been in a few and they have a ton of different dried peppers and such if that's what you guys are talking about if so try checking one of those stores out.

I did not take many pictures, but here is one I did of the finished look.

Before

IMG_20180720_134502.jpg

After

IMG_20180730_115445.jpg

Just glad to be finished and can say it looks new on the bottom side. Not sure if I want to get it dirty now.

12 hours ago, dem beats said:

Yeah, I dont get it but the W used it once and liked it. She does second batches with the same leaves and for some reason liked how it worked.  This thing isnt a press actually, it's just a stationary screen in a little teapot.

I have one of those and it ruins good tea.

12 hours ago, dem beats said:

Loved the sear marks.  The ceramic grate gave out on me eventually and the other stainless one felt like a much less even heat.

Ah.  Perhaps the Viking comes with a better stainless one than the egg.  At $2800 it better lol

9 hours ago, mikel7829 said:

I don't know if y'all have these up that way or not but down here we have Mexican grocery stores for the Spanish population..I been in a few and they have a ton of different dried peppers and such if that's what you guys are talking about if so try checking one of those stores out.

Bet we have more of them than you do.  Even dinky towns up here have them.  Amazing numbers of seasonal field workers.

Andale Market is one that has a killer taqueria with it which is the one i threw out for Matt

If i had a left i would detail the underside of big ugly

Creamy Chipotle sauce is a winner also. I use the canned adobo’s for that, although can be made from dried peppers too. 

Plain or Greek yogurt (or Mexican crema)

Can of adobo, with seeds removed 

garlic

lime 

Best made before hand, so has time to slack. Also easy to overdo the peppers in that one, which really shows up after resting.

Get some Cotija cheese and you’ll really be eating like a Mexican. 

The coffee plantation I visited made all the coffee in their tasting room with jumbo French presses. One could swing by that place as many times as one wanted and chug free coffee. Not that one visit wasn’t enough. lol

I could drink two pots of drip and not be satisfied. One cup off the press is usually more than enough... most days.

Second worst thing about traveling. Finding a decent cup of coffee every morning. That’s when I really miss my press.

First being a comfy bed. 

If you get the chance try a smoked pulled pork burrito or enchilada. That’s a whole nother level of goodness right there!!

1 hour ago, nem said:

I did not take many pictures, but here is one I did of the finished look.

Before

IMG_20180720_134502.jpg

After

IMG_20180730_115445.jpg

I can say I've been there there a few times and don't envy you Neal. LOLNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Ah.  Perhaps the Viking comes with a better stainless one than the egg.  At $2800 it better lol

I don't know the technical term, but I think it has to do with how well cast iron transfers heat compared to stainless.  It's not conductivity, the term escapes me, but it also has a wider pyramid shape and allows less flame to splash up onto the meat if your flame is a bit too agressive.

These chops were from aldi, where I will never shop again BTW.  They were so thin i think that high heat and intense sear was favorable.  The grill lines were fantastic and in this case, really helped to cook that thing bony shit meat.

I'll continue to review. I probably wont use it to smoke meat, if for no other reason it would be a lot more weight on the smoking plate.

On the same note, I had a stainless steel plate for the bottom of the firebox, worst thing ever.  Because it was so lightweight even the shifting coal would push it around and then spill into the bottom.  I was really sad because the cast one is a consumable product and will slowly just erode.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I have one of those and it ruins good tea.

Makes her happy, I dont care.

:-D

I dont care about tea enough to give a fuck.  If i do want good green tea I heat a cast pot with water, pour it out, then put in my tea and fresh water.  That old way is good enough for me if I REALLY want to have an experience.

BTW, Fried the enchiladas like all a good abuela would. Took forever.

Was super hot and not much fun.

So worth it.  Fucking amazing.  Shouldn't have tried an easy way out. 

Chicken parm and hoke made fresh pasta tonight.

I dont know how, but I have been eating carbs and still dropping body fat.  These work outs must be getting me big. I'm up in weight but down in body fat.  Pretty soon I'll need to really cut back though.  I need to ut off all body fat.  

I'm about one month away from giving up and going to a mens clinic for HRT.  Trying to do this "natural" with such a fucked body is just becoming too much of a chore.

9 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Chicken parm and hoke made fresh pasta tonight.

I dont know how, but I have been eating carbs and still dropping body fat.  These work outs must be getting me big. I'm up in weight but down in body fat.  Pretty soon I'll need to really cut back though.  I need to ut off all body fat.  

I'm about one month away from giving up and going to a mens clinic for HRT.  Trying to do this "natural" with such a fucked body is just becoming too much of a chore.

You got to do what you gotta do.  Sometimes the help is good, even if only as a crutch. Can be hard to get ahead of oneself sometimes. 

I am 30 pounds up from where I was this time last year.  Who knows if it’s age, or being less active or what. Either way I’m happy so who gives a fuck. lol