Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Shannon Alton?  Crap :( RIP Brother!

On 8/9/2018 at 2:52 PM, nem said:

2006 Honda VTX 1800. Made it look better than new!

MVIMG_20180809_141819.jpg

IMG_20180809_141859.jpg

IMG_20180809_141841.jpg

IMG_20180809_141934.jpg

MVIMG_20180809_141917.jpg

Nice job Neal!

1 hour ago, mikel7829 said:

Nice job Neal!

Indeed.  I forgot to say so before.  Would totally love to pay you to do my car.

Matt - I need a chainsaw.  What do I buy.  My Poulan wild thing can blow me.

Not going to cut anything larger than firewood.  Will hire that out, but you've seeen my house I need to be able to dispatch with bs that falls more readily.

.....today I dismembered an 80' tall red oak down to the trunk.  Fucking exhausted and my saw sucks.

Got a neighbor that wants the trunk.  Going to make lumber.  I plan to trade the tree for some boards lol

Thanks guys, it seems my work speaks for itself. I have jobs lined up for the next couple months.

I would love to help you cut the trees Sean, I grew up cutting and still love doing it.

I am trying to convince Aaron to bring me his cars, but that man is so busy!

A Stihl 046 or ms 460 mag would be a good size and worth picking up used. The Husqvarna 455 or 460 are powerhouses also.

I'm a Stihl guy but have no complaints with the Husky.

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Shannon Alton?  Crap :( RIP Brother!

Yes, Shannon. 

It sucks reading about Shannon, he was a super guy.

I run a FWD in 3rd or 4th @4-5k rpms on shitty roads and fly past other people.  Usaully at least 50-60 mph with a sure foot and in great control. In my heavy assed RWD I’m sliding all over by 50 mph. Especially if I’m redlining to get in the torque band.  

Just now, nem said:

It sucks reading about Shannon, he was a super guy.

Dude had a heart of gold. 

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Matt - I need a chainsaw.  What do I buy.  My Poulan wild thing can blow me.

Stihl.

How big of a tree/limb will you need to handle?

Fireplace logs.  Anything else i will hire out.

9 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

A Stihl 046 or ms 460 mag would be a good size and worth picking up used. The Husqvarna 455 or 460 are powerhouses also.

I'm a Stihl guy but have no complaints with the Husky.

Of course I start looking...see the 660 and it appeals to me.  Had the revelation though that perhaps lighter is better.  I really want it for pruning and dealing with downed branches.  Worst case was yesterday where I took apart all the branches off a tree.  I won't do the trunk.  My POS Poulan worked until it failed, then my neighbors baby Echo was actually fine (and a huge upgrade to the Poulan) .  His Echo was a little 36cc unit with a 14" bar.  Felt super light and maneuverable.  Makes me wonder if I should look for something smaller than the near 80cc units.

Then the flip side of me doesn't want a toy but a real tool.  I know nothing of saws though other than that I need one and one that works better than my POS.

The main problem with mine is that it is under powered and once hot won't restart.  Been through the carbs and it runs great once going.  Disposable chinese crap.

...so the other thing I need is one that is rebuildable.  Don't want a throw away piece.

Any of the MS series saws will work for you.  They've extremely affordable and last.  I recommend an 18".  It's a happy median IMO.

37 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Any of the MS series saws will work for you.  They've extremely affordable and last.  I recommend an 18".  It's a happy median IMO.

Yes, my brother has the 391 which I use for him and love it.

I did change the chain because safety chains suck.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Of course I start looking...see the 660 and it appeals to me.  Had the revelation though that perhaps lighter is better.  I really want it for pruning and dealing with downed branches.  Worst case was yesterday where I took apart all the branches off a tree.  I won't do the trunk.  My POS Poulan worked until it failed, then my neighbors baby Echo was actually fine (and a huge upgrade to the Poulan) .  His Echo was a little 36cc unit with a 14" bar.  Felt super light and maneuverable.  Makes me wonder if I should look for something smaller than the near 80cc units.

Let me bring my 661 down.  The only downside for me is that I didnt get the wrap handle.  I know this too, it's choked out.  I can feel that it wants more rev and more air but it just doesnt get there.

I want to send it to get ported and a new muffler.   It has A SHIT LOAD more grunt in the motor that they are probably going to sell incrementally as upgrades.  It's the best saw in the line up if you have the back for it.  I can limb a 30' without taking a break.  For me the ability to run al ong chain means I dont have to hunch over as much. Dont look up what tree monkey or mastermind can do to a saw.  You won't believe the difference.

You can throw it around the 661 for a bit.  It's heavy.  But I actually like the heft when I'm feeling, but you might decide it's just stupid for small logs.

Honestly, I think the 440 is the biggest you would ever need, and that is over kill OMO.  You are the overkill God.  My friends dad would cut trees the same size I do with a 440 or smaller, but he lives in the woods cutting firewood.  His son(shot his wedding in PR) keeps a nice tuned up 440 and it can do basically anything.  Revs up like a beast.  The 440 plus some nice dogs and a 25" bar would serve you so well.

From what I hear St Paul saw has the best deals out there.  They get a lot of city contracts too.  I should have shopped harder but I purchased a few tools at once from a really close by shop and it was a good enough deal for me.

1 hour ago, nem said:

Yes, my brother has the 391 which I use for him and love it.

I did change the chain because safety chains suck.

Chisel or GTFO.  A safety chain will cut your leg off just as easy.  Nothing "safe" about them IMO.

I need some advice on weed whips.  I have the FS90.  It's so fucking weak.  Way better than the poulan but it's not really great.  I'm stuck with it however. 

Does the line matter that much?  I use the stihl standard line but I feel like it's going through the line way faster than I'm used to and that it cuts like shit.  Any recommendations on line?