Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

In the big dogs perhaps not, but the "who gives a fuck models" hmmm

I've been looking used, but Acme here sells Stihl for about the same price as CL does used.  WTF?

First shot using the Taig as a drill press and it worked perfect.

Obnoxious for lots of holes, but accurate as fuck which is more important for my needs atm.

Still want the damn Festool miter saw.  Because Festool.

Btw.

Vikings FTW.  

Power rankings beware the purple.

Experimenting with ceramic on chrome pipe covers. Test piece looks amazing currently, but needs to cure a little longer. 

Two bikes lined up for tomorrow!

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

After looking at Chainsaws today, thinking that applies to Stihl as well.

The Husky, Echo, & Dolmar all were compelling.

Unless Husq has come a long way their engine management electronics have not been as robust as Stihl.  I doubt it's significantly worse but enough that I'm not going down that path. Whenever I watch a video of the stihl vs the husq I keep wanting the German.  

I'm loyal AF to Stihl after using them for the state, city, and my friends dad working with prisoners.  

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

In the big dogs perhaps not, but the "who gives a fuck models" hmmm

You want the 441 or up.  You will be sad with a smaller saw I think.  Only because of your love of overkill. I would also assume that the oil spitters are better than the smaller "climbing/limbing" saws.  You could get away with. Farm boss no problem.  That just doesnt jive with your life theme.  :D

I cannot stress enough the advantage of a longer bar, and running a 25" on a smaller power head is going to bog it down too much if you want to cut anything not soft pine.  

If coat matters , I cant say shit on that, but the Sthil is lighter for more power.

Weight to power and not being too heavy for the tasks you are doing is key.

The 661 is a porker.  :)

Edited by dem beats

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

Unless Husq has come a long way their engine management electronics have not been as robust as Stihl.  I doubt it's significantly worse but enough that I'm not going down that path. Whenever I watch a video of the stihl vs the husq I keep wanting the German.  

I'm loyal AF to Stihl after using them for the state, city, and my friends dad working with prisoners.  

Engine management?  I want one with no bullshit.  Just a carb and cylinder.  Anything they do beyond that won't be something I shop for.

If coat matters , I cant say shit on that, but the Sthil is lighter for more power.

Weight to power and not being too heavy for the tasks you are doing is key.

The 661 is a porker.  :)

You want the 441 or up.  You will be sad with a smaller saw I think.  Only because of your love of overkill. I would also assume that the oil spitters are better than the smaller "climbing/limbing" saws.  You could get away with. Farm boss no problem.  That just doesnt jive with your life theme.  :D

I cannot stress enough the advantage of a longer bar, and running a 25" on a smaller power head is going to bog it down too much if you want to cut anything not soft pine.  

Hmm, I was going to stay at 50cc which is way smaller than the 441.  Sure I like overkill, but the little 35cc echo was WAY better than my saw and enough for what I'd do.  Considering I am mostly trimming the lightweight and  movability is huge.  10lbs >> 14lbs for this.

In the smaller saws, all the tests show a Dolmar or Husky is the better choice.  I am sure in the big dogs it isn't that way.

Part of me wants the little 180 and then to mod it.  If I need bigger than buy a big one.  A lot of what I will use it for I could use a shears...but I prefer to smell like 2 stroke!

And yes, all my yard equipment smells like my snowmobile.

Stihl 261, Dolmar 5105, Husky 550xp were the ones I was leaning towards.  

The Echo maybe but not unless there is a real dealer that isn't home depot.

...what is nuts is that the ones on CL are nearly the same price as new?

22 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Engine management?  I want one with no bullshit.  Just a carb and cylinder.  Anything they do beyond that won't be something I shop for.

MS 461.  Almost all the rest have electric management. 

20 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

They dont drop in price.  Especially if you have a good dealer.

Echo is made to break and has some terrible design flaws.  Husq or stihl.

I thought you wanted something big, my bad.  You really did just want it for nipping off firewood. 

36 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

37 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

They all have an auto tune feature.  Have to buy a vintage saw to escape the computers.  

No echo 

I only recommend against Husq because of the auto tune problems.  They have had worse luck implementing that technology than Stihl.

Echo seems to make the most power at that size of saw but the knobs and shit sticking out make it an instant nogo for me.  I'm being a complete snob.  They are probably perfectly robust but I see that stuff as something made to break.

You are smart to think much lighter.  I use my big saw for limbing and bucking because I didnt want 2 saws.  It means i have to take a break constantly and i get tired fast.  A 10 pound saw i could swing for 45 min.  The 16 pounder I use for 10-20 then walk away for water.

Edited by dem beats

That echo timberwolf saw seems was powerful for its size. Like way more than it should be.  That's very promising if you dont mind the choke and switch thing.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Part of me wants the little 180 and then to mod it.  If I need bigger than buy a big one.  A lot of what I will use it for I could use a shears...but I prefer to smell like 2 stroke!

I love how you start out shopping for Hyundai and end up buying Mercedes.