Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I didn't notice the sarcasm when Sean said he was looking at the 661.  I thought for sure he was being serious.  I just figured you might use it on the farm or something.

It's funny because I would have used an ax for the pines I cut so far and loaned a small saw to buck it, but I was sure I was going to cut down this 3' wide hardwood tree in my yard.  I was probably going to hire out for dropping it and then harvest the wood and use an Alaskan mill.  That's why I thought the 661 was worth the investment. 

Well, after I cleared the other little ones the disease on the tree seemed to go away and it's looking healthier all the time. 

So now I have an M6 when all i needed was a moped.  And a free arm workout any time I want to cut back the weeds.  ;)

Edited by dem beats

Leaning towards the Dolkita at this point but if a deal on a 261 or 550xp showed up i would take it.

Btw - the autotune isnt a computer.  Works like a tempaflow so no biggie to over ride.

A used echo may fly too.  Then i may even downsize to a 40cc and mod the shit out of it.

Ie, if a cs400 appeared for $100 i would buy it

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

You are a machine

I really love people's reaction to seeing their bike look new again. Plus it gives me something to do in my free time.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Leaning towards the Dolkita at this point but if a deal on a 261 or 550xp showed up i would take it.

Btw - the autotune isnt a computer.  Works like a tempaflow so no biggie to over ride.

I dont know what any of that is.  The saws just run.  When I made my purchase I ended up with stihl because the few arborist forums I went to had more to say about the husqvarna not working due to the new technology. 

You're right about one thing, the cheeper saws seem to be dominated by echo.  They are getting more power per dollar and have good construction.  I just cant get over the lever and knob thing.  Why would you make a design with things that stick out like that?  Maybe in practice it doesnt matter.

I assume your chief complaint with the Poulan (other than power) is its finicky. That it’s a bitch to start once heated and won’t stay running. 

When doing log work my personal saw was the Stihl 046. While a beast, it’s overkill for a homeowner doing yard work. The company had a grip of different Husqvarna models that I used from time to time. The 395xp with a 36” bar was great for huge cross cuts, but never touched it otherwise. They had a bunch of the smaller 16” models that I used in the field. They definitely stayed running better than any Pouplar variant I used. 

With all that said I used a corded Makita 16” for any of my daily small work. Worked like a champ and lasted years. Never had to fuck with keeping it running. Was great working indoors also. 

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

You are a machine

No, he's an artist.  Machine's can not put love and passion in their work.

I remember hating the way some of the newer Husky models ran. They just felt restricted for their size. I assume those are the ones that have the shit Matt is talking about. 

24 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

I remember hating the way some of the newer Husky models ran. They just felt restricted for their size. I assume those are the ones that have the shit Matt is talking about. 

The 550xp looks amazing actually.  Revving super fast.

I only looked at the bigest saws when I purchased and at that time the forums and comment sections painted the husqvarna saws as having poor implementation of the new "computer controlled" carbs.  It was an easy choice then as I know more guys who like stihl and use them daily for government and private sector work.  Maybe the most telling was that the stihl saws took government employee treatment and kept running.  If I wanted the saw to breath some fire, I'll send it to a shop for tuning. Also bugs saws need big oil.  Especially when I intended to run the 661 on an Alaskan mill at some point.  The 661 seemed better at spitting oil than the others, without jumping to the 880 big swinging dick.  I would have paid for it, but >22 pounds.... the >16 pounder is already hard on the gunshow for bucking.  The 880 would only be a milling saw and penis compensation for me I'm sure.  If I need that big of a saw to fell the tree it's too big for me to do and I need to call a professional. 

Edited by dem beats

IIRC was the Rancher models that I didn't care for. The Xp's were screamers like the Stihl.

We had a Timber King 2500 with a 36" throat for the milling you speak of. lol

Image result for timber king 2500

14 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

IIRC was the Rancher models that I didn't care for. The Xp's were screamers like the Stihl.

We had a Timber King 2500 with a 36" throat for the milling you speak of. lol

Image result for timber king 2500

Love a throat that can handle some girth!

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

Love a throat that can handle some girth!

This one could handle some serious length too with an extension attached! 

10 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

My turkey vulture got his other wing yesterday! Image may contain: one or more people and outdoorImage may contain: one or more people, shoes, grass, outdoor and natureImage may contain: outdoor and natureImage may contain: shoes, grass, outdoor and nature

Cool bro!

I have never had the right design/plan or the courage to get something permanent on my skin.

49 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I have never had the right design/plan or the courage to get something permanent on my skin.

I got a little but nothing that detailed

30 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

I got a little but nothing that detailed

I'm so picky.  I'm afraid it wouldn't be perfect.

Tat’toos are definitely not everyone. 

Honestly I’m amazed at their popularity, that people put so much value upon them. Not to mention is as casual as getting a haircut to most people. 

2 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Tat’toos are definitely not everyone. 

Honestly I’m amazed at their popularity, that people put so much value upon them. Not to mention is as casual as getting a haircut to most people. 

Everyone sees them differently. 

I need more ink, when are you coming my way?

The turkey vulture is awesome.   Glorious birds in flight as well.