Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Went to a husky dealer yesterday.  Thr rancher is terrible.  550xp felt glorious however.

Regrettably the husky implementation ia full on ecm with updatable firmware and fuel injection according to the dealer i went to.  Not interested in that shit as it will tape me and get replaced over the next 20 years.  He also sold echo.  Cs400 or the timberwolf arre the ONLY 2 choices in that line.  The rest felt like toys or had shitty balance.

Curious on the control mechanism on the stihl 261.  It is a little beast.

Need to find a Makita dealer now to hold the dolmar units.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Curious on the control mechanism on the stihl 261.  It is a little beast.

Need to find a Makita dealer now to hold the dolmar units.

That crosses the new Stihls off my list.  

Echo or Dolmar/Makita if I buy new...although with both I would be fine with used.  That opens it up to the pre-Mtronic units but the Stihl's in those sizes are way underpowered compared to the newer ones :(

I am seriously contemplating only a 40cc...but it makes me feel inadequate

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I am seriously contemplating only a 40cc...but it makes me feel inadequate

The only  stihl without that tech is the 461.  Maybe the really small ones are different, but I dont think so.

The echo in that size also has engine management. 

Edited by dem beats

All saws in the "professional " category now have some kind of system honestly.  The "cheep" homestead and farm units usually don't. 

I think you're too worried about the technology, but you know much more about it than I do.  They are getting more power out of less fuel and longer run times.  You know how to take care of your tools much better than most so maybe others only get better performance because they dont understand small engines like you do.

The Dolmar/Makita do not have that nonsense, neither does the Echo.  I am not overly worried, no way I am going to suffer with a technology that makes it so I can't fix/mod my own saw.

I don't mean to worry you...but I am buying this as my small saw for the rest of my life.  I won't upgrade/change/sell/buy as I will hardly use it.

Means when I go to use it I expect to have to clean the carbs.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

The Dolmar/Makita do not have that nonsense, neither does the Echo.  I am not overly worried, no way I am going to suffer with a technology that makes it so I can't fix/mod my own saw.

Interesting stuff.  I thought this had to do with engine management. 

https://www.makita.co.nz/technology/MPI.lsd

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I don't mean to worry you...but I am buying this as my small saw for the rest of my life.  I won't upgrade/change/sell/buy as I will hardly use it.

I'm so not worried.  I find the new saws to have less problems than the old ones without the computer, but when the computer craps out it really craps out.  I wish I knew more about making them run, but it's not on my plate for a while.  I may have gone with a dolmar if I had known they didnt have any chips in them.

Dolmar seems like a great option though.  I swear I saw that one of the echo saws did have some kind of management, and another didn't.  I assumed it was like stihl and the pro saws have management and the farm saws don't.  I cant find that again now so I think I might have seen it incorrectly. 

12 hours ago, nem said:

I need more ink, when are you coming my way?

Optimistically next spring. I have a few other friends that way I planned to work on also, so will make the trip worthwhile. 

Plus is the only corner of the country I’ve yet to wander!

10 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

Optimistically next spring. I have a few other friends that way I planned to work on also, so will make the trip worthwhile. 

Plus is the only corner of the country I’ve yet to wander!

If you do I have a spare bed.

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

That crosses the new Stihls off my list.  

Echo or Dolmar/Makita if I buy new...although with both I would be fine with used.  That opens it up to the pre-Mtronic units but the Stihl's in those sizes are way underpowered compared to the newer ones :(

Ok.... I did some digging.

Not all stihl have the m tronic.  So put them back on the list.

If the saw has the suffex m-c, it's got a computer.  No M-C no moronic.  

C is easy start.  M thr computer iirc.  Sort of drunk though so perhaps i am wrong.

Problem with atihil and husky is they gave up the small market.  Only care about the big stuff.

13 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

C is easy start.  M thr computer iirc.  Sort of drunk though so perhaps i am wrong.

Problem with atihil and husky is they gave up the small market.  Only care about the big stuff.

Either way, the 261 is dope as is the 362 and they both have no computer options.  Better RPMs and more power in a better package IMO, than dolmar.  At least from what I can find on forestry websites.

It does look like the echo has more power in the few videos I've seen but the few videos that compare the 2 really seem to be on the echo dole.  They seem like great saws but forgiving switches that stick out doesnt seem like something that could live up to your lifetime saw needs.

Edited by dem beats

261 is completely m-tronic.  260 not, but almost 1hp less for the same size package.  Dolmar kills the 260, loses to the 261, but I am not buying a 261.  261 is also $300 more than the Dolmar.

362 is a tank for the power it makes  Muffler mod and restrictor removal and the 261 will dance with it.

I didnt notice the switches on the echo that my neigbor loaned me.  was the little guy, but either way.

I'd love a Stihl....but the most likely is an old 026

There is a 251 that must be stolen on the local classifieds right now since it is priced too low...that or no compression, but I'll test that before taking anything home.  Actually don't care if it is low as a rebuild would force me to clean up the ports anyways.

291 on as well for a reasonable price...but I don't want a heavy beast - or at least if I did I'd want more power.

3 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

362 is a tank for the power it makes  Muffler mod and restrictor removal and the 261 will dance with it.

3 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

261 is completely m-tronic.  260 not, but almost 1hp less for the same size package.  Dolmar kills the 260, loses to the 261, but I am not buying a 261.  261 is also $300 more than the Dolmar.

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms261/

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/chain_saws_gasoline/ps-5105_h/index.html

This shows the stihl as a 261 with no computer and has more power than the dolmar.  In this case, the dolmar may have a couple hundred RPMs but is .1hp lower.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Stihl dealer told me ALL 261's are Mtronic.  Hmm

Btw, the 346 you see reviewed nicely is the Husky XP not the Stihl...