Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Only other problem is you can buy 2 echo's for the price of 1 MS 261...although if it truly is available without the Mtronic it would be my preferred saw.  It also HUGELY wakes up with a simple muffler mod, cat removal and tune on the carb.

23 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Stihl dealer told me ALL 261's are Mtronic.  Hmm

Btw, the 346 you see reviewed nicely is the Husky XP not the Stihl...

Ah.  I was searching stihl vs Echo, didnt notice it was a husky in the video.

Maybe he only sells the mtronic ones.  Dealer wants to be the one to fix it.  Try calling/email stihl directly.  Use your German contacts bro!

As I said, on all the arborist sites the mtronic is better at being tuned up and running longer than the non m tronic.  I know you can also put in a different carb, port it, and have a different muffler/max flow filter with the m tronic system.  The fastest saws are from garage tuners working on the m tronic saws.

31 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Only other problem is you can buy 2 echo's for the price of 1 MS 261...although if it truly is available without the Mtronic it would be my preferred saw.  It also HUGELY wakes up with a simple muffler mod, cat removal and tune on the carb.

As far as I can tell, stihl make the most powerful saws and they definitely have room to go up.

I got all wet watching a bunch of 661s with muffler and filter mods.  Get it ported and it will scream.... ah. Someday...

When Stihl and Dolmar rate the same HP the Dolmar cuts faster.  Ie they are torquier or under rated.  

Shocking to me there are no US brands and that it is dominated by Germany and Scandihoovia.

The Dolmar supposedly has the best antivibe too...but i looked in our german database and know why since they own one of our laser systems for optimizing hand,arm vibe.

Again all statements above are for 55c and under above that the results are for the orange germans not the red 

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

When Stihl and Dolmar rate the same HP the Dolmar cuts faster.  Ie they are torquier or under rated.  

Shocking to me there are no US brands and that it is dominated by Germany and Scandihoovia.

That's wild.  I'm used to RPMs cutting faster.

Sounds like we just came up with a good business model Sean.

Going to drive by MN Saw next week.  They carry Husky & Stihl.  Ought to give me a baseline.  Can't find the Dolmar or Makita in town which should be a red flag...but I won't be in a jam where I can't wait a day for parts anyways.  Both my neighbors have saws, you have one...

The Dolmar is always cited as having the  nicest running single cylinder engine in the saw market.  Really makes me want one...but shit, I also would prefer something mainstream in that the resell value will obviously be higher.  Exactly why I will visit MN Saw.  Want to figure out the real skinny on the carb setups available and more importantly hold each one.

TONS of great press on the 50cc Husky's as well.  All from a handability perspective which quite frankly is the most important thing to me.  How does it wield followed by how much power can it make.

25 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Going to drive by MN Saw next week.  They carry Husky & Stihl.  Ought to give me a baseline.  Can't find the Dolmar or Makita in town which should be a red flag...but I won't be in a jam where I can't wait a day for parts anyways.  Both my neighbors have saws, you have one...

The Dolmar is always cited as having the  nicest running single cylinder engine in the saw market.  Really makes me want one...but shit, I also would prefer something mainstream in that the resell value will obviously be higher.  Exactly why I will visit MN Saw.  Want to figure out the real skinny on the carb setups available and more importantly hold each one.

TONS of great press on the 50cc Husky's as well.  All from a handability perspective which quite frankly is the most important thing to me.  How does it wield followed by how much power can it make.

I admit to knowing nothing about the 50cc and under market until you got me looking.  I never climbed a tree and when I was bucking and limbing I always had something like the 440.  I didnt even realize that was a big saw.  We had smaller saws in the shop, but why would I grab that?  All the little guys wanted those and I was just interested in dropping the tree.  I didnt have to be nimble and run around for more than the time it takes the tree to fall.  When limbing I just let the saw ride the trunk and got to it.  Everything went into a chopper or logs for firewood.  The only time the state dealt with larger hardwood was if something fell when it wasnt supposed to and then it was just cut it into chunks just small enough to throw into an industrial chipper.

I just wanted a big saw for one big tree and because I wanted it.   Now I have a big saw to cut down toothpics.

:D

Edited by dem beats

The shop I went to also encouraged me to get a bigger saw.  They said that smaller saws would have trouble with a longer bar.  Now I know that to be bullshit but I felt like I should take their advice at the time.

I want a big one too...but 99.9% of what I do is cut up stuff that I can sometimes just break by stomping on it while one end is up on a rock.  Yes a handsaw would be fine...but I LOVE the smell of snowmobile oil so I will use a chainsaw for that shit.

Exactly why I want a simple carb'd one too.  It will sit full of gas for a year and be used 3x.  Terrible on 2 strokes so I want to be able to easily clean it.

Pretty sure I can with the electronic ones too...but in the case they complicate shit I don't want to bang my head against the wall anymore than I have to.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I want a big one too...but 99.9% of what I do is cut up stuff that I can sometimes just break by stomping on it while one end is up on a rock.  Yes a handsaw would be fine...but I LOVE the smell of snowmobile oil so I will use a chainsaw for that shit.

Hahaha!

I love busting out the 661 for sapling sized weeds.  Good for testosterone production. 

Either that or I end up using my weed wacker.

That sorta fucks shit up though.

Oh lord, 12 kids coming over here today under the age of 9

13 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Impress then with your new craigslist 660!

Actually.... sounds like you could build one yourself.  When you're done you can port and tune mine!

:D

I am doing a honey ham,fresh corn on the cob, seasoned green beans,mac and cheese with Hawaiian sweet rolls for supper...

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Enjoy every minute of that my friend! They grow up quick.