Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On 8/26/2018 at 3:28 PM, mikel7829 said:

I am guessing CAF finally died..Aaron have you tried to sign in lately? No IP even seems to exist for it anymore. I thought it has been odd that I did not receive any emails lately of members posting in my sections.Embarrassed to say I have not tried to even sighn in in a few months but honestly I haven't felt the need as traffic had nearly came to a halt since I last visited.idk

Its been down for a while. :(

On 9/15/2018 at 8:51 PM, ///M5 said:

Cooked in cast iron pie tins on a fire that aidan built for dinner

Pics or internet pics of similar? I don't think I get it

Alright so details. (Note: I can get on SSA at work again! No more "malware" issues)

1.5" Prime NY Strip; just over 16oz

Salt and Pepper just before bagging.

Vacuumed Sealed in FoodSaver setup

Sous Vide (Monoprice Version) at 130°F (60°C). I did 130°F because the steak has good marbling. I like the texture at around that temperature. Also, while I've gotten my wife to prefer her steaks waayyyyyy less cooked, she still prefers that medium spectrum.

Finished on cast iron. Cast iron was in oven at 525°F (273°C) then put on electric burner at highest setting. I seared in Olive Oil (not EVOO, regular OO is more processed and has a higher smoke temp) and finished with some butter on a lower setting.

Notes:

Texture was spot on inside (hello sous vide). The outside could have been better browned and seasoned.

I took it off as soon as I got the browning with the butter. In retrospect I would have left it on longer with out the butter to get some more natural browning. Actually, if it wasn't raining non-stop for the past couple of weeks I would have finished on the egg with the grate practically on top of the coals.

It was a really fun first real attempt at sous vide. It couldn't be easier to use. I think I can really get the wife on board because she can pull something out of the freezer and drop it in. I'm exited to try all kinds of things. Bone in skinned chicken breast is high on the list. Some sort of smoked meat is on the list. I am currently converting a cooler I used to hate into a souse vide cooler (more pics later).

Looks yummy.  My butcher was getting real pushy about how good sous vide is just a couple hours ago.

9 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Pics or internet pics of similar? I don't think I get it

316L9sYi-wL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Steak looks good...I'd cook it less, but hey I like it rare.   You are right on the leave it on the pan a bit more.  To help it from not overcooking you can flip it a bunch.

And it works great straight from the freezer!  I do it all the time. :)

I sous vide in a pan like that as well.  Uses less water than a bigger vessel.

There is a "Monoprice" version in got on Amazon for $60. It's not Bluetooth or Wifi. The Anova Bluetooth version. ($80) requires your phone and that you log into you account to use the app.

Depends.  2 things it is REALLY useful for.

1) from freezer to stove, no more defrosting woes.  This is for any animal.

2) Chicken becomes edible.  Cooking it at 145F is SO MUCH FUCKING BETTER than any other way.

...I also buy animals though so I have a lot of freezer fodder.

Just ordered the grizzly.  Hopefully getting my chainsaw next week.  Echo dealers in town are having their 20% off one day sale.  If the 501p-18 is 20% off I will get one.  Lightest 50cc saw, one of the best vibe isolations, mag case, and no electronic nonsense.  Plus hell they used to be 'merican.

Flight to Minny is delayed.  Fuck.

Already been here 2 hours.  

If Memphis looks like you land now at 8:11 at gate F16 in MSP and then leave from gate B10.  F16 to B10 is AT LEAST a 15min walk, maybe 20.  No way, no how you make the 8:30 to South Bend which is still on time.  Go to the gate NOW and figure out how they rebook you through another city or you will not get home.

Door closes 15min before the flight.  8:11 to 8:30 is 19min and you have to walk about a 1/2 mile.  Ain't gonna happen.

They should re-route your for free through a different city.  If not, they need to get you a hotel somewhere.

Great. . . 

Thanks!