Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Chinese wok burner

That was my initial idea.  Then just any frying pot on top?

Not going to use my good all clad stockpot.

Edited by dem beats

A cheap wok from the chinese grocery :)

They work GREAT for deep frying as you have less oil per surface area.

The other reasonable option is a size 11 or so Cast Iron Chicken Fry Pan.  The disadvantage of those is that they hold heat more so if you heat soak them the oil climbs.  A wok transitions quickly.

As for not using the all clad stockpot.  Mine has been sitting direct on a fire before.  It won't hurt anything if it isn't enamel'd.

I was being snobby about the AllClad.  That's all.

I like the wok option quite a bit.  When I look for a specific wok burner set up, they look crazy expensive. Would those generic Turkey fryer/beer brewing rigs with a wok ring work?

Disregard all of that.  My Google foo was weak before.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/King-Kooker-54-000-BTU-Bolt-Together-Portable-Propane-Gas-Outdoor-Cooker-with-Special-Recessed-Wok-Ring-and-18-in-Steel-Wok-24-WC/202822737?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-22_BBQ_GRILL|NA|PLA|General|broken|71700000032300315|58700003837592907|92700030692496212&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn7_k2q_U3QIVIbCzCh21MwBcEAQYBCABEgL52PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIiau_ev1N0CFcO5swod0x0Haw

First search this time found that.  Derp

Edited by dem beats

There are a ton.  IF you want to wok with it as well, then you want one with ALL the power in the center of the pan.  Exactly why you "stir" fry.

I would argue it is worth doing as well.  Will still heat oil, but if you do it on HIGH you will need to stir.s

Automotive question.

Every time I do brakes it seems that the pedal feel always end up worse. Just replaced all 4 rotors and pads on the Santa Fe. Never cracked open the fluid system. The car still has plenty of stopping power but isn't as tight as it used to be.

That being said, a friend of mine needs rear brakes on his minivan. He's willing to buy me tools as payment for helping him. If there is a power bleeder that is great I would love to get one.

Tight?  On brakes?  I don't understand.  Mushy or soft pedal? 

How many miles are on the car?  I change brake fluid every 10K and use a good synthetic fluid.  Brake fluid readily absorbs water, and it can and will do so at any time.  Same with air.  When decompressing the calipers, it is easy to introduce air into the system.  I would get some good fluid and flush it all.

Bleeding I do the old-fashioned way.  It's simple and it works. 

I bled my truck the old fashioned way and it still has a fairly mushy pedal.

I put a plastic hose on the bleeder and into a water bottle with brake fluid in it. The hose is in the fluid.

Open valve, pump a few times. Check to make sure the master has enough fluid, check to make sure the bottle isn't full. Repeat until fluid coming out was clean. Repeat for all 4 corners.

If i bleed out of order my pedal gets mushy.  Last time i flushed needed the snapon computer to cycle the antilocks to blow out the air out of it.  That being said if they get worsr when you bleed it means you are adding air.

27 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

I bled my truck the old fashioned way and it still has a fairly mushy pedal.

I put a plastic hose on the bleeder and into a water bottle with brake fluid in it. The hose is in the fluid.

Open valve, pump a few times. Check to make sure the master has enough fluid, check to make sure the bottle isn't full. Repeat until fluid coming out was clean. Repeat for all 4 corners.

You're bleeding incorrectly.  Every time that pedal comes up in this scenario, you're pulling air into the system.

You need to pump the brakes until hard, hold the pedal, and have your helper open the bleeder valve until your foot goes to the floor.  Quickly close the valve and repeat the process.

Find the proper procedure for your particular vehicle.  They don't always go from furthest to closest, so you can easily introduce air, or not remove the air. 

27 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

If i bleed out of order my pedal gets mushy.  Last time i flushed needed the snapon computer to cycle the antilocks to blow out the air out of it.  That being said if they get worsr when you bleed it means you are adding air.

You don't need the computer.  The ABS pump will bleed air on it's own.  You just need to find a nice parking lot or empty road and get up some speed and slam on the brakes several times.  This will engage the pump and it will bleed the air on it's own.

1 hour ago, Tirefryr said:

You're bleeding incorrectly.  Every time that pedal comes up in this scenario, you're pulling air into the system.

You need to pump the brakes until hard, hold the pedal, and have your helper open the bleeder valve until your foot goes to the floor.  Quickly close the valve and repeat the process.

Find the proper procedure for your particular vehicle.  They don't always go from furthest to closest, so you can easily introduce air, or not remove the air. 

That's why the line runs into the bottle under the fluid level in the bottle.

I should also add that the bottle is placed higher than the bleed port to force the initial air in the tube up in the tube and not into the air system.

That being said. I'll try the buddy method this next time as I'll have a buddy to help.

Your method is still flawed.  The bleeder screws have threads that even when mechanically sealed can leak air.  As soon as that pedal comes back up, that piston retracts and guess what displaces the fluid. . . .

2 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

You don't need the computer.  The ABS pump will bleed air on it's own.  You just need to find a nice parking lot or empty road and get up some speed and slam on the brakes several times.  This will engage the pump and it will bleed the air on it's own.

There was a lot of air in mine when I put on the Wilwoods.  Probably could have had less, but had access to the scanner so I used it.  My truck it is not furthest to nearest either...although for the final bleed it works better that way.  

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I would argue it is worth doing as well.  Will still heat oil, but if you do it on HIGH you will need to stir.s

Damn you.

Brakes....

So I took my car in, and even though my brakes are shit and need repairs the BMW factory refresh made it  better.

That's all I have to add.

Hmm, BMW has been asked to replace my motor.  

10 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Your method is still flawed.  The bleeder screws have threads that even when mechanically sealed can leak air.  As soon as that pedal comes back up, that piston retracts and guess what displaces the fluid. . . .

Thank you! That makes perfect sense!

What do you do if you need to bleed brakes but don't have a friend. Make friends? :P

9 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Hmm, BMW has been asked to replace my motor.  

They find your built esky so fascinating they are going to replace the motor for you so they can benchmark your current one for their upcoming americanized SUV?

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

Thank you! That makes perfect sense!

What do you do if you need to bleed brakes but don't have a friend. Make friends? :P

Vacuum unit/enlist the wife.  

1 hour ago, topgun said:

Vacuum unit/enlist the wife.  

WERD!