Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Mind if I ask, what kind of start up?

J

It's in early education. 

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I've seen that phone and what it is capable of. That being said, why do you believe they won't be sustainable past 10 years? Due to online ordering, or do you think cell phone cameras will completely kill the business wholeheartedly?

J

I think it will kill brick and mortar locations. It's going to be hard to sell DSLR equipment to consumers.   

5 hours ago, dem beats said:

It's in early education. 

Nice choice. I was wondering how the bankruptcy was going to change things for you.

J

5 hours ago, dem beats said:

I think it will kill brick and mortar locations. It's going to be hard to sell DSLR equipment to consumers.   

It certainly wouldn't be easy. I was looking at it with the idea of carrying DSLR and mirrorless. Thinking SOLID printing services, rentals, and in house studios could make it sustainable by allowing for lower pricing on gear purchases in order to keep in closer competition with online.

I'm honestly happy to ready your opinions. It helps keep things in perspective. I'd be lying if I said it didn't take the wind out of my sails though. That being said, opinions like this make me start thinking about other ideas.

J

A new shop opening without teaching photo editing classes, including ugly things like the trendy filters and everything else is missing a boat I think. I don't know how one can compete with the big stores and amazon on photo printing though.  Sure their quality may not be top notch, but people are cheap.  You can't win on pricing, but you may be able to carve a niche out with service and studios.  

I think it’s more who and what you know Jordan. The right connections, the right people on staff and knowledge of the demographics of the area. 

Since you have visited here, its a good example. There is such a high density of tourists and rich people, that there are stores that would never thrive in such a small community elsewhere. They will pay for convenience all day long AND to be stroked off by a real person. Just my 2 cents.

Same goes for the college question.  Goes back to who you know imo. As in half the people I know that went to college do not work in the feild they went for. But they do have their current job because of connections they made either in college, or starting in the initial field.

10 hours ago, topgun said:

A new shop opening without teaching photo editing classes, including ugly things like the trendy filters and everything else is missing a boat I think. I don't know how one can compete with the big stores and amazon on photo printing though.  Sure their quality may not be top notch, but people are cheap.  You can't win on pricing, but you may be able to carve a niche out with service and studios.  

Classes would be something else to offer. As for employees, we have two local colleges that offer photography degree programs, and I know most of the professors. I would want their students or grads as employees.

8 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

I think it’s more who and what you know Jordan. The right connections, the right people on staff and knowledge of the demographics of the area. 

Since you have visited here, its a good example. There is such a high density of tourists and rich people, that there are stores that would never thrive in such a small community elsewhere. They will pay for convenience all day long AND to be stroked off by a real person. Just my 2 cents.

That definitely plays a large role. We have a good amount of tourists, many of whom pay out the ass for fishing charters, dolphin watching, etc. They would be a large target in my 'rentals' category.

8 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Same goes for the college question.  Goes back to who you know imo. As in half the people I know that went to college do not work in the feild they went for. But they do have their current job because of connections they made either in college, or starting in the initial field.

I see this a lot as well. I try and network everywhere I can.

J

It's not what you know. 

It's who you know, and how you apply the knowledge you have.

Edited by dem beats

On 11/16/2018 at 7:39 PM, Godsmack said:

I've seen that phone and what it is capable of. That being said, why do you believe they won't be sustainable past 10 years? Due to online ordering, or do you think cell phone cameras will completely kill the business wholeheartedly?

J

It already has.  Shops here are dying.  Going to get worse as software compensates for optics.  Peak at the Google phone and then realize how far behind both Canon & Nikon are on their processing engines.  I am anti-Sony, but if I were betting on a camera company regrettably they would be the one since they can share the processing across the commodity of cell phones and their cameras.  No way, no how will that business be sustainable.  It is tough now, but about to get worse.

One of my best friend owns a photography shop where they only take pictures and sell no hardware.  He had to resort to getting school contracts to stay in business.  He is one of 3 photographers in an area with 200,000 people.  While it is an art, technology has eclipsed it enough to where making memories no longer requires fancy equipment and support.  

Obviously the enthusiasts that are shooting nature, wildlife, portraits and such will exist, but they are underpaid and under appreciated and building a business off of profiteering from them is not something I would do.

On 11/17/2018 at 4:44 AM, Godsmack said:

It certainly wouldn't be easy. I was looking at it with the idea of carrying DSLR and mirrorless. Thinking SOLID printing services, rentals, and in house studios could make it sustainable by allowing for lower pricing on gear purchases in order to keep in closer competition with online.

J

Printing services?  Costco already killed those.

I wish your idea was long lasting, but no way in hell.  Fighting with Amazon and Costco is not a good idea for a business model.

My boss just put his daughter through 4 years at Purdue for a degree in Retail.

4 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

My boss just put his daughter through 4 years at Purdue for a degree in Retail.

Damn. She ought to be able to sell a ketchup popsicle to someone in a white suit. 

And J, the real question is what is it that you offer that the average consumer will pay you $100,000+ a year for on the profit side.  Normal operating costs would mean a gross sales of then $400-1,000k to achieve that.  Realize the average consumer just wants to make sure they have pictures of their kid that don't suck.  Enthusiasts are broke.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I wish your idea was long lasting, but no way in hell.  Fighting with Amazon and Costco is not a good idea for a business model.

That is why I buy their stock.

Has been an eargasmic week! Running these in a 2.5 config, with both woof's playing to 50hz and the bottom guy playing up to 400hz. The mid being sealed.

Got lucky I think with this combo, with phase tracking etc. ONly had to match the levels and set the x-overs. Still have yet to need any eq'ing, even after plowing through the same half a dozen cd's I've been tuning with for the last year! lolImage may contain: indoorNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

Limping like a wounded animal today. Had the other knee/thigh tattooed this last week. Had to order a breakfast of champions this morning, hold the beer. 

What’s everybody cooking for meat this Thanksgiving?

I am going to smoke a turkey and probably a pork butt. 

They look awesome.

2 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

They look awesome.

Thanks Aaron!

I really like the Troels style designs. Where each driver is in independent cabinets.

Has been a blast! Excited to build a few more. :)

6 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

What’s everybody cooking for meat this Thanksgiving?

I am going to smoke a turkey and probably a pork butt. 

What else you smokin?

58 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

What else you smokin?

Same thing as everyday Ryan. Drum roll-ur-owns and Hogs Breathe(great for nerve pain).

whatchu smokin’ dude?! :lol: