Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Either I have a new car that can't break or a POS that will fuck me.

It was a known problem that was fixed in later model years.  Everything so far that has failed has been engine related as the rest of the car has been good.

Going to gamble on it as I wait for a used 18 to pop up with right stuff on it.

2013 BMW X3 2.0t

68k miles, new motor at 67k, new turbo at 62k: motor replaced due to the timing chain tensioners exploding and getting into the oil pump.  Known problem, BMW extended factory warranty to 70k for.  Nothing on else on the car has caused problems.  How long do I dare keep it.  Newer ones don't have that problem.  Figure either I have a timebomb that will rape me or the opposite now.

Sounds like the perfect time to get rid of it.  

21 hours ago, nem said:

Among all the holiday activities and work, I came up with an out door garage lighting solution. I put up a test strip and like the look. 

Link for lights.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-StayBright-240-Count-19-6-ft-with-White-Integrated-LED-Plug-In-Christmas-Rope-Lights/1000525781

IMG_20181206_175224.jpg

Nice!

Nice lighting @nem

@///M5 I merged in your posts.

21 hours ago, nem said:

putting in some work!

Just trying to keep up with you Neal. :P

21 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I spoke WAYYYY too soon.  Was trapped behind an accident for 3 hours that Friday evening.

Image result for nap and drive meme

12 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Getting $1k worth of tires this week too.

What flavor are you picking up?!

8 hours ago, topgun said:

Yup.

15 hours ago, topgun said:

Not in its depreciation cycle.  It is hardly going to lose any value the next 2 years.  I already took the hit.

13 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Nice lighting @nem

@///M5 I merged in your posts.

Ha, then it is somewhat duplicated.  I was going to move them myself...but couldn't figure out how.  Drinking and posting, wheeeeeeeeeeeee

12 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

What flavor are you picking up?!

Stock Pirelli run flats.  They were super quiet and climbed our driveway at 55k better than the old Swede with nearly new rubber.

Bought it for 27k, sell today 15k.  Net ownership cost 12k + a set of tires & brakes.  $1k = $13k / 2 years = $6500/yr or $541/mo...which for a fucking toaster is ASS RAPE.

In 2 years:

Bought it for 27k, sell then 12k.  Net ownership cost 15k + a set of tires & brakes.  $1k = $16k / 4 years = $4000/yr or $333/mo...which for a fucking toaster is ASS RAPE.

You can get something super fucking nice for $200/mo which is the difference I will "save" if I don't get rid of it now.

I bought it planning on keeping it longer than this.  I STILL feel like I should walk.  Next problem is I'll take a bigger hit on what I am looking at replacing it with which if I wait 2 years will shave hundreds off per month on its end too.

So what you're really saying is you never should have purchased it.

Apparently we're supposed to get some snow today then warm up into the 40s.  Hopefully I can get the Mustang done this weekend.

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Ha, then it is somewhat duplicated.  I was going to move them myself...but couldn't figure out how.  Drinking and posting, wheeeeeeeeeeeee

:drink40:

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Stock Pirelli run flats.  They were super quiet and climbed our driveway at 55k better than the old Swede with nearly new rubber.

That is interesting.

12 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I bought it planning on keeping it longer than this.  I STILL feel like I should walk.  Next problem is I'll take a bigger hit on what I am looking at replacing it with which if I wait 2 years will shave hundreds off per month on its end too.

Sounds like a need vs want scenario. Would think the need to ditch the lemon would outweigh the want to save a little paper. especially factoring in unforeseeable future headaches.  

Yesterdays fun. After being locked out several times, I was in high hopes the door switch would fix an electrical gremlin with the door locks. No such luck. Testing actuators and checking wire today in hopes its not the BCM.  Could be the fob also.

On the plus the window works again! 

No automatic alt text available.

Hoping to toss a grand or so and get another 60-80k out of her. Would bring my per 20k mile cost down from 3k to just over 2k.