Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

And yes, that is self inflicted and going to change

Have you ran that on a Dyno?  Still limping the transmission along too?  

No dyno big enough in town. :(

8 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

No dyno big enough in town. :(

You mean no AWD? 

You can't just pull the front shaft either.  The computer will go all sorts of stupid when the rear tires start thumping and the fronts are standing still. 

Side note, full HKS exhaust on theIS made a noticeable mid-range difference.  :)

3 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

You mean no AWD? 

Sorry, yes.  Left that out.  No 2wd switch on my truck.  I WISH it had one!!

3 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

You can't just pull the front shaft either.  The computer will go all sorts of stupid when the rear tires start thumping and the fronts are standing still. 

That and really a dyno isn't so important.  Street tune is fine in that is how I drive it.  I can log like crazy and make sure the tune is fine.

Anyone have any input on E-class wagons of about 5-10 year vintage? 

23 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

You can't compare a twin turbo to a NA car.  You just can't.  Those turbos essentially represent additional displacement.  Of course they are going to respond better to tuning. 

Let me ask you this;  have you ever owned a booster vehicle?

Sure I can compare. I can buy two trucks at similar prices. One I can spend a few hundred bucks and get 70hp/100tq improvement and the other I get 40hp/40tq improvement over the lower baseline.

We have a 2.0T Hyundai. It's been great so far. It drinks more fuel than I like but I loooove the low end torque.

23 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Don't get me wrong; I'm not stating the Ecoboost is a bad choice, but being a mechanic, I take the simple route.  The 5.0 is simple and simple equals more reliable and cheaper.   If you're really concerned about it, buy a cheaper 5.0 and spend that extra cash on some simple bolt ons, get it tuned, and decimate the 3.5.

My 2014 was rated at 412HP.  It had a Boss 302 intake, ridiculously huge throttle body, fenderwell intake, headers, and a tune, and made 482 to the tires.  You're not doing that with the 3.5 without serious money and engine upgrades.  Hell, 6 pounds of boost on the 5.0 will get you a reliable 500 wheel without issue.

I agree. The 5.0 is way simpler and I expect it's reliability will be amazing. Even if it's not the aftermarket is insane which makes repair cheap.

I'd be interested in seeing what is easily added to the 5.0 in the F150. I think boosting a non-boosted vehicle is pretty cost prohibitive, but intake/exhaust is fairly straight forward.

All that being said. I drove the 5.0 and 3.5 back to back today and was left more impressed with the 3.5 The throttle response is just there compared to the 5.0. I don't have to down shift, but the power is there if I do. I feel like the 5.0 is better paired with the 10 speed while the 3.5 doesn't need the extra gears. My wife preferred the 3.5, though based just on cab quietness.

A local Mercedes dealer has a F150 FX2 with the 5.0. It is super clean and a great price. I'm going to drive it tomorrow and see what I think. M wife was enamored by the platinum package.

If you're going to mess with it buy the V8.

Of you're going to leave it and just maintain,  get the hairdryer and half motor.

Easy peasy.

Edited by dem beats

I’ll take the turbos every time.

57 minutes ago, S.DeYoung said:

I’ll take the turbos every time.

I'll take the extra cylinders and some snails if you'll let me!

I'm still hella fat... but my resting heartrate is high 40s to low 50s.....

Either my VO2 game is super strong or I should go see a doc.

2 hours ago, dem beats said:

I'm still hella fat... but my resting heartrate is high 40s to low 50s.....

Either my VO2 game is super strong or I should go see a doc.

Mine stays in the 40's and 50's now as well,oxygen level 88-95..sometimes I have to throw the oximeter across the room before I start tripping. lol ..Mine has sunk to the high 30's here and there..Dont understand because it used to be high as heck.

Drove a '15 with the 2.7L ecoboost yesterday and was left very impressed. Good power, good fuel economy and capable of towing enough for my needs.

Unfortunately the vehicles had too many cosmetic problems, which is probably why is was priced in a way that I could afford it.

31 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Drove a '15 with the 2.7L ecoboost yesterday and was left very impressed. Good power, good fuel economy and capable of towing enough for my needs.

Unfortunately the vehicles had too many cosmetic problems, which is probably why is was priced in a way that I could afford it.

My main boss man gets a new Raptor every few months,He sold his Black Ops to his son that was still brand new really for around 90k... As of now he has a Turbo v6 one,had it for a couple of months..He was spotted at the local Ford dealership again last week already 

59 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

My main boss man gets a new Raptor every few months,He sold his Black Ops to his son that was still brand new really for around 90k... As of now he has a Turbo v6 one,had it for a couple of months..He was spotted at the local Ford dealership again last week already 

That's just nuts to me. I couldn't see justifying that even if the company paid for the vehicle.

3 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

That's just nuts to me. I couldn't see justifying that even if the company paid for the vehicle.

I know crazy..

You can make a huge profit getting those nearly new Raptors up to Canada. 

Trucks 1-2 years back with 50k miles selling within MSRP locally even.

23 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I keep telling Sean he can pay me $50k salary and give me $2000k a month car allowance so it's all a write off.

I'll even let him drive the company car every once and a while when we go out to hot import nights.