Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Good luck Aaron. They have been decent to me so far. **knocks on wood**

This was a fun color, midnight pine.

IMG_20190530_092426.jpg

So for those who don't know (it only ended up on SM as a commentary on socialized medicine) I was admitted into the hospital Tuesday afternoon. My legs were both insanely swollen, and would not go down. My PCP had me go to the VA ER after checking me out at 1320, and not liking my EKG (the PCP on duty is a Cardiologist). That put me there at 1520. ER takes till about 10pm to get me in, and at 0330 puts me into inpatient care. Electrocardiogram was done yesterday afternoon and read today. No signs of congestive heart failure, just some minor rounding. Less sodium, more exercise, watch the liquid intake. Out around 1645 today. Shit food and long ass waits, but no charge....

So my question to you here, what would you guys recommend for low sodium recipes? I need to quit eating out so much, and eating so much prepackaged bullshit, and I despise most vegetables.

J

15 minutes ago, nem said:

This was a fun color, midnight pine.

IMG_20190530_092426.jpg

I was going to make a funny on FB, but I figured most people would be offended.   Your reflection in that is NUTS!

3 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I was going to make a funny on FB, but I figured most people would be offended.   Your reflection in that is NUTS!

It is all good. Who cares if others get offended.

The car polished up amazing.

11 hours ago, Godsmack said:

So for those who don't know (it only ended up on SM as a commentary on socialized medicine) I was admitted into the hospital Tuesday afternoon. My legs were both insanely swollen, and would not go down. My PCP had me go to the VA ER after checking me out at 1320, and not liking my EKG (the PCP on duty is a Cardiologist). That put me there at 1520. ER takes till about 10pm to get me in, and at 0330 puts me into inpatient care. Electrocardiogram was done yesterday afternoon and read today. No signs of congestive heart failure, just some minor rounding. Less sodium, more exercise, watch the liquid intake. Out around 1645 today. Shit food and long ass waits, but no charge....

So my question to you here, what would you guys recommend for low sodium recipes? I need to quit eating out so much, and eating so much prepackaged bullshit, and I despise most vegetables.

J

Let's start with what vegis you do like and why don't you like the rest?

12 hours ago, Godsmack said:

J

Lower sodium or way higher hydration.  I'd choose the latter.  First thing they teach you in any chef class is to season at EVERY step.  No salt, no taste.

Perhaps the real problem is that you despise vegetables.  Easiest way to eat healthy is to vary the diet and eat a little bit of everything.  We eat at least 2 grocery bags full of vegetables a week.  Lots of fruit and of course meat.  

Glad you are okay btw!  We can help with the rest, but you have to WANT to change as well.

An analogy for you.  I've always said quitting smoking isn't hard.  I've done it at least 100 times.  Question then becomes what was different the last time?  I finally decided I was not going to be a smoker and didn't want to be.  Then it truly was easy.  Same is going to apply here.  You can't change because your doctor told you to, you can if you want to change.  Have to get in that mindset first.  Just like with exercise habits you can change your palette.  It will take some effort though...just like exercise.

11 hours ago, Godsmack said:

J

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

Like- Peas, green beans, uncooked carrots, black and red beans, potatoes from time to time (more a starch really), and salad (usually the dole salad mix with no dressing and bacos), peppers and onions are fine cooked into something but in ligher amounts (minus in sauce)

Okay with from time to time- asparagus

Truly despise- broccoli, brusselsprouts, cooked carrots, parsnips, cabbage, rutabegas, scalloped potatoes

not much else is coming to mind ATM

Another big bitch in food planning is my hatred for seafood. Like my other truly despised vegetables, it comes down to a taste, texture and smell thing.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Lower sodium or way higher hydration.  I'd choose the latter.  First thing they teach you in any chef class is to season at EVERY step.  No salt, no taste.

Perhaps the real problem is that you despise vegetables.  Easiest way to eat healthy is to vary the diet and eat a little bit of everything.  We eat at least 2 grocery bags full of vegetables a week.  Lots of fruit and of course meat.  

They are talking lower sodium and watching hydration intake too. Honestly 2000 mg of sodium (or less) a day I think is easily doable. Just gotta quit the prepackaged bullshit and fast food. Considering my love of snacking, failure to plan for meals, and photo schedules there are the difficult parts. All of that is manageable though.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Glad you are okay btw!  We can help with the rest, but you have to WANT to change as well.

I actually want to change. I need to and am tired of being bleh body and mind wise.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

An analogy for you.  I've always said quitting smoking isn't hard.  I've done it at least 100 times.  Question then becomes what was different the last time?  I finally decided I was not going to be a smoker and didn't want to be.  Then it truly was easy.  Same is going to apply here.  You can't change because your doctor told you to, you can if you want to change.  Have to get in that mindset first.  Just like with exercise habits you can change your palette.  It will take some effort though...just like exercise.

I went from cigs to the vaporizer (MyBlu) about 7 months ago. Then roughly a month ago I stopped the vape. I won't say I've been perfect since. I've had maybe 7 cigarettes since then. Haven't had much of a craving lately and am trying to keep it that way.

J

The smoking was an analogy, wasn't implying anything else.

Out of curiosity on the vegetables you hate, have you ever had them prepared by someone who knows what they are doing?  I have friends that have really picky diets, but tell me flat out they will eat whatever I cook.  They almost always are shocked and change their tune afterwards as well.

The reason I ask is this list broccoli, brusselsprouts, cooked carrots, parsnips, cabbage, rutabegas, scalloped potatoes" don't have any two flavor profiles that are shared.  They are also about the most butchered vegetables I ever see cooked.

I think that is my problem with most foods.  I do like to try new things now, but there are some things I just know I will never like.  Salmon, for instance.  The mere smell of it makes me want to vomit.  Eggs are the same way.  I was allergic to eggs up until a couple years ago and I can't even smell them.  It immediately induces vomit.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

The smoking was an analogy, wasn't implying anything else.

Out of curiosity on the vegetables you hate, have you ever had them prepared by someone who knows what they are doing?  I have friends that have really picky diets, but tell me flat out they will eat whatever I cook.  They almost always are shocked and change their tune afterwards as well.

The reason I ask is this list broccoli, brusselsprouts, cooked carrots, parsnips, cabbage, rutabegas, scalloped potatoes" don't have any two flavor profiles that are shared.  They are also about the most butchered vegetables I ever see cooked.

I figured, but after having that question asked 2476 times over my visit, I wanted clarity. Especially since quitting was something I tried for years off an on, with no success.

I have tried them off friends plates in a few different 'higher end' restaurants, and from being made by family members who were cooks as well. Its the soft texture combined with the smells for many. Peas and corn are two of the few 'soft' cooked veggies I enjoy. The rest just have a very slimy 'bleh' texture in my opinion.

It is always possible I just have never had them made correctly. Granted growing up around restaurants, with numerous friends and family members who are chefs, I don't believe that would be the case.

J

12 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I figured, but after having that question asked 2476 times over my visit, I wanted clarity. Especially since quitting was something I tried for years off an on, with no success.

I have tried them off friends plates in a few different 'higher end' restaurants, and from being made by family members who were cooks as well. Its the soft texture combined with the smells for many. Peas and corn are two of the few 'soft' cooked veggies I enjoy. The rest just have a very slimy 'bleh' texture in my opinion.

It is always possible I just have never had them made correctly. Granted growing up around restaurants, with numerous friends and family members who are chefs, I don't believe that would be the case.

J

None of the non-root vegetables should have been soft.  If they were, the higher end restaurants you went to suck.  On the root veggies, parsnips and carrots shouldn't be either.  Hell even on potatoes there should be some texture otherwise they should be riced & mashed.  I will not eat soft over cooked destroyed veggies either.  Sort of stupid to cook all the nutrients, flavor and wonderful textures out of them.  

14 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I think that is my problem with most foods.  I do like to try new things now, but there are some things I just know I will never like.  Salmon, for instance.  The mere smell of it makes me want to vomit.  Eggs are the same way.  I was allergic to eggs up until a couple years ago and I can't even smell them.  It immediately induces vomit.

Salmon is by far the worst of pretty much all fish.  I only cook it 2 ways really.  Homemade Teryaki (equal parts mirin, soy, sake and then 1/4-1/8th parts sugar) or planked & grilled.  Main reason is that I'd much prefer to eat it raw.  Take that into account when cooking it.  SUPER high heat to sear, but don't cook it through.

Not expecting you'd go try it, but someone else on here might.

J - if you want to try B. Sprouts.  Here is what I would normally do.  Clean them, blanch in boiling water for 2-3min, shock in ice water, cut in half, grab some animal fat (duck fat or bacon fat from the fridge, render some bacon in a pan, etc) and get a pan nearly smoking hot.  Add the fat and distribute in the pan, then fry the brussels sprouts until they are golden brown.  Pan should be hot enough you can't leave the stove.

If your stove won't create enough heat to brown them in a few minutes, you need to add a pat of butter.  

The easiest way to make broccoli is to cut it into florets, boil a sauce pan with salt water (at least as salty as the ocean -3% by weight) and put it in.  It should come out so that the tops are NOT mushy and there is still significant snap in the stalk. 

ALL green veggies love a blanch pre-cooking.  Anytime you have time to do so it is worth it.  If you are just blanching for cooking in another method you should shock them in an ice bath afterwards.  ie, make sure the brussel sprouts above are cooked in salty water ;)

Green veg should NEVER be cooked more than 7 minutes.  That is usually even too long.

That's a lot to take in on green veggies LOL

I'll have to consider these ideas. The salt is my concern. How much sodium would they pick up from the salt water cooking?

J

That's messed up because I LOVE my broccoli to just melt in my mouth. 

6 hours ago, Godsmack said:

That's a lot to take in on green veggies LOL

I'll have to consider these ideas. The salt is my concern. How much sodium would they pick up from the salt water cooking?

J

Just enough versus too much if you do it after.

Remember, the concentration is 3% of the surface area.  3% is 3%.  Obviously also means if you don't shake it off or rinse it you will get sodium from the water that is on it.  Rinsing it off could rinse a portion.  I'd shake it in screen type colander or a salad spinner if you wanted to be over the top of it.