Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

2 hours ago, dem beats said:

R2,  I've been thinking about changing up my regular pistol and either selling the XDm or just having a 9mm around.

I've narrowed everything down to 3 guns I like a lot in .45. The FNX, the PPQ, and Canik.

FNX is too much money.  No.

PPQ feels chunky but the grip is a billion times better.  Canik I get my hand around a bit better, but it feels like trash compared to the PPQ.  What is easier to fix in case it's a problem?  I think you can give me a better answer than 99.99% of people.

I have now come around on the G word too.  I just point the others better and for the price difference I don't want to drill it.  No one ever put a big one in my hands before and it wasn't so bad.

BTW I have held so many CZs thanks to you.  All the ones I like are steel and you're right they are amazing.

If you know someone selling Sti 2011s for around those prices I could also be swayed that way.  :D

I'm a Beretta fan, so I'm going to suggest the PX4, or the APX if you like a striker fired pistol.

The Enduro geometry is really confusing to me.  I understand perhaps an aggressive cross country Geo but the Enduro not at all.  Perhaps you are much more prone to acting like Superman than I am.  I don't jump or drop more than 6-8' anymore which totally defeats rear suspension for me.  I like the comfort but the power hogging and how much feel it pulls off the rear I don't like.  I have a box racing background though and expect my bike to do exactly what my body tells it to.  Suspension takes that away.  Without front susp though my wrists get tired and I lose confidence in chutter like you get over tree limbs in corners.

25 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Across all terrain in MN I am slower with rear suspension.  The part I didn't realize is that I also have less fun.  

I didn't realize you were all torso.  That will up the frame size as you size the top tube not the rest.  I am all legs.  You may be able to ride my bike.  It will put all fat bikes to shame you have sat on.

Sounds pretty interesting. 

When I rode fat I felt numb and while full of traction and such it was unpleasant. Maybe you have the antidote. 

25 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I'm a Beretta fan, so I'm going to suggest the PX4, or the APX if you like a striker fired pistol.

Beretta is the only one I didn't put my hand on.  I'll keep looking for one to hold!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

The Enduro geometry is really confusing to me.  I understand perhaps an aggressive cross country Geo but the Enduro not at all.  Perhaps you are much more prone to acting like Superman than I am.  I don't jump or drop more than 6-8' anymore which totally defeats rear suspension for me.  I like the comfort but the power hogging and how much feel it pulls off the rear I don't like.  I have a box racing background though and expect my bike to do exactly what my body tells it to.  Suspension takes that away.  Without front susp though my wrists get tired and I lose confidence in chutter like you get over tree limbs in corners.

I promise that you are in the air and taking way more drops than I do.  For me the suspension is more about not getting air and not dropping from a table top but smashing any line I like as I tip into it.

Speed means nothing to me, but I was pedaling that Bronson way easier than the fat bike.  Maybe I was way faster on the fatty and I cant tell but it felt like I was rolling a tank around.

I want it to feel like a hover bike.  Trail and XC feels like a mountain goat.  

The Bronson or the BC Instinct might be the closest but I did not ride the rocky.  Just messed around with a little frame to understand it.  

Edited by dem beats

Sean, maybe I like enduro bikes because the frame naturaly has a lot of room for torso but doesn't force me to be too far from the pedals.

It also might be that with how heavy I am that sagging into it further means a lower center and more stability.  For lighter riders it's manageable because the bike is at least 1/5 of their weight, not 1/10th?

Edited by dem beats

I'm tossing my opinion in on the S&W M&P .45

Love my damn S&W. I'll be picking up the Bodyguard edition in a .308 or 9mm. I want a pocket piece.

J

41 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I'm tossing my opinion in on the S&W M&P .45

Love my damn S&W. I'll be picking up the Bodyguard edition in a .308 or 9mm. I want a pocket piece.

J

Ruled it out.  I like the XDm more than the S&W for my fingers.

I think it's sexy AF though.  Just like the Springfield more and the walther even more than that.

That PPQ Q4 or whatever similar was like an old leather jacket. 

I'll definitely see if I can squeeze some round through an M&P.  I think one of my local ranges might rent everything.  They just do not have any Canik's so I was trying to rule it out so when R2 tells me that it doesn't matter and I am thinking to hard I won't feel guilty for not trying it.

;)

Edited by dem beats

Unless you have a guy at STI J.

Then you have them call me.

:D

That is your price range.   Just has to be 5 years old

2k is a stupid amount to spend on a new bike.

If you rode 2k fat bikes I understand the problem...

Bikes drop as bad if not worsr than cars.  New never...unless you need a really weird size

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

Ruled it out.  I like the XDm more than the S&W for my fingers.

I think it's sexy AF though.  Just like the Springfield more and the walther even more than that.

That PPQ Q4 or whatever similar was like an old leather jacket. 

I'll definitely see if I can squeeze some round through an M&P.  I think one of my local ranges might rent everything.  They just do not have any Canik's so I was trying to rule it out so when R2 tells me that it doesn't matter and I am thinking to hard I won't feel guilty for not trying it.

;)

Try it with the XL grip. Makes a huge difference IMO.

As for a guy at STI, I don't believe I directly have anyone there. Look to be damn nice arms. Honestly that's my biggest bitch about FL; not many ranges have a rental program. Makes trying out before you buy incredibly difficult.

J

Matt - maybe you like the Enduro because it is setup for more travel and more bottoming resistance.  The bottoming resistance would feel better if they didn't manage to set the bike up for your weight.  If you grab something off the show room floor and don't adjust the seat, the bars, and shocks I am sure it will suck.

Only harping on this because I hate the feel of Enduro in the stuff we have to ride.  I will add that I have had more time on downhill frames than Enduro and realize of course they E frame removes some of the bobbing and spasmatic frame response during pedaling that you have with a downhill bike.

Out of curiosity are you a masher or a spinner?  ie, what is your normal pedaling cadence?

These landed yesterday:

i5MwpLA.jpg

So yeah,  I want more performance than necessary as well.  Difference being i don't have to pedal the quad.  Obviously those came in pairs but I didn't completely unbox.

Why .45 and what will the main purpose of the gun be?  Range toy or carry gun?  

I think he stated he wanted a carry pistol. 

I'm reading the bike stuff and think to myself that $2000 is an OBSCENE amount of money for a bicycle.  I then thought to myself that both my Redline and Performer had well over $800 into each of them when I was into the BMX/Freestyle thing in the early 90s.

While we're on guns.  Gavin's new hobby is draining my money quickly.  I've got $800 wrapped up in hardware, and the ammunition fees are never ending.  I didn't realize how much they're actually shooting.  A box or more a round.  I need to buy a trunk full of ammo.

I'm going to sell the Mustang also.  It's fun to drive fast, but I just don't like the car. 

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Matt - maybe you like the Enduro because it is setup for more travel and more bottoming resistance.  The bottoming resistance would feel better if they didn't manage to set the bike up for your weight.  If you grab something off the show room floor and don't adjust the seat, the bars, and shocks I am sure it will suck.

Only harping on this because I hate the feel of Enduro in the stuff we have to ride.  I will add that I have had more time on downhill frames than Enduro and realize of course they E frame removes some of the bobbing and spasmatic frame response during pedaling that you have with a downhill bike.

Out of curiosity are you a masher or a spinner?  ie, what is your normal pedaling cadence?

Mash when I'm trying to go fast usually.  I learned to spin but if I wanna go I mash.  Only used those clip ins a few times.  

I would have called that uzzi pretty close to downhill.  But today's enduro is like a slightly less slack and less travel DH it looks like to me.  All the bikes have been set up for my weight, most of the time I have had them then adjust the suspension to give me a more plush ride from suggested set up.  I believe they focused on rebound to make it more plush but I'm not sure.  

Don't you Bob like crazy then?  Bobbing makes it really hard to hook up in a corner....

49 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Don't you Bob like crazy then?  Bobbing makes it really hard to hook up in a corner....

Hightower bobbed a bit, the specialized stumpjumper did HORRIBLY actually,  the Bronson did not.  The trek full stache did a bit but less than the stumpjumper.  I absolutely felt faster on the longer travel Bronson.  Makes no sense against 29".

The bikes I've liked were all horizontal mounted shocks.  Honestly I don't know how that makes this dramatic of a difference, so I assume it's coincidental but it's a pattern.

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

2k is a stupid amount to spend on a new bike.

If you rode 2k fat bikes I understand the problem...

One was $4500 or so?  Some super carbon beast.  That did feel better than the others but still like basketballs.