Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Nearly 2.5 acres of woods so some space, but obviously rather urban

I am dying to see what a 24+" top tube on a bmx bike looks like...with 12" bars.  Was really hoping I could find one in town.

Might have to just order a frame and buy a donor bike for parts

Hmmm, I posted this hours ago...I thought.

If you ride this stuff, get the Enduro otherwise I wouldn't.

It is only 2 hours away

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Hmmm, I posted this hours ago...I thought.

If you ride this stuff, get the Enduro otherwise I wouldn't.

It is only 2 hours away

Yup.

You got it exactly. I dont want air.  Gnarly to me is going down something and just eating that shit.... but still being able to pedal.

I like going down stairs alot.  Or at least I did.  Right now I'll stick to hopping a curb and tree root until I remember and get familiar..

Edited by dem beats

When I see enduro I see slow gentle on my old bones having ass trail bike, that can also forgive me a bit when I decide to roll down something rocky or too big.

7 hours ago, dem beats said:

Yup.

You got it exactly. I dont want air.  Gnarly to me is going down something and just eating that shit.... but still being able to pedal.

I like going down stairs alot.  Or at least I did.  Right now I'll stick to hopping a curb and tree root until I remember and get familiar..

Stairs don't require enduro.  Hardtails are fine.  I ride both up and down stairs, lol.  Fat bike ftw on the up portion.  Used to be able to climb big staircases on a standard bike, but not so sure I can do that anymore.

7 hours ago, dem beats said:

When I see enduro I see slow gentle on my old bones having ass trail bike, that can also forgive me a bit when I decide to roll down something rocky or too big.

Heavy isn't forgiving.  That rear travel is useful for drops over 6', under that a standard cross country setup when dialed in will cover you easily.

Those trails are aberrations compared to what we normally have.  If you focused solely on hitting North Shore I could be swayed, but without power assist up the hill I don't think you will be happy with the suspension bob.  Of course, I find that MUCH more disconcerting than the bob caused by the big tires on the fat bike...but mine is dialed in for my weight.

And to be fair, at bike shop cost I have more than $5k into my bike and that is with using a $300 chinese frame.

Same setup from Specialized or a big company would be pushing $13k

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

And to be fair, at bike shop cost I have more than $5k into my bike and that is with using a $300 chinese frame.

I'm shocked to hear you even consider a Chinese frame....Just seems to lack the 'overbuilt is the rule' typical mindset.

J

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Heavy isn't forgiving.  That rear travel is useful for drops over 6', under that a standard cross country setup when dialed in will cover you easily.

Interesting. 

What I like about rear suspension is the sensation of it never leaving the ground.  I feel like there is always a traction point and I always have leverage. 

How about this for backwards, I couldn't do a real bunny hop with my old hard bikes in a 29" but I could with a full suspension after my 2nd ride.

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

That sounds like my personal estimation of how this works.

The frame is really much less of the whole experience than the wheels, tires, suspension,  and these new crazy gears.  

5 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Konichiwa you sexy MF’ers!

How’s everyone doing?

Miss your fucking face bro.

How's life and where you been?

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I'm shocked to hear you even consider a Chinese frame....Just seems to lack the 'overbuilt is the rule' typical mindset.

J

Outside of some $4k hand made CF frames ALL of them are made in China.  Mine was made by the same group that makes them for the big names...but they also built their own mold.  I bought that as I couldn't see paying the extra.

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Those trails are aberrations compared to what we normally have.  If you focused solely on hitting North Shore I could be swayed, but without power assist up the hill I don't think you will be happy with the suspension bob.  Of course, I find that MUCH more disconcerting than the bob caused by the big tires on the fat bike...but mine is dialed in for my weight.

Maybe they have been set up poorly, however the worst with bob have been the xc bikes.  Not because the Bob is worse.  I may be significantly slower on the longer travel but I feel better and pedaling feels like less of a chore to mash through and I find a better rythem.

@///M5

How about a turn about of this.  I don't care about the extra weight, and I enjoy the feeling XYZ bike.  Regardless of it's travel I like how it pedals, I like how the suspension deals with me on the bike moving around, and I feel less vibrations without losing sensation of the ground under me.  

Other than it could cost more for shocks, what is the downside of further travel bikes if i like how they ride more?

I rarely speed but the I still like the TTV8 even if I'm not using it but once a week on an onramp when I don't want to be behind a garbage truck or civic with a body kit that's falling off. 

Overkill is just enough.

7 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Interesting. 

What I like about rear suspension is the sensation of it never leaving the ground.  I feel like there is always a traction point and I always have leverage. 

How about this for backwards, I couldn't do a real bunny hop with my old hard bikes in a 29" but I could with a full suspension after my 2nd ride.

Once you learn to ride you will flip that all around.  I am concerned no matter what you buy you will want some thing else.  Suspension hides bad habits.  Hardtails are MUCH easier to bunny hop on.

6 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Konichiwa you sexy MF’ers!

How’s everyone doing?

Wazzup hommie!

5 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Once you learn to ride you will flip that all around.  I am concerned no matter what you buy you will want some thing else.  Suspension hides bad habits.  Hardtails are MUCH easier to bunny hop on.

100% agree with everything you have said Sean.

If only you knew how many hardtails and fat bikes I've been on and continue to get on hoping that I would at least not hate it.  After every ride, I just think to myself that I would rather have an over built road or cyclocross bike.

Big travel is disruptive in a few ways.  Mostly the problem isn't the potential travel, but the geometry used to enable it.   Normally downhill bikes have super slack head tubes.  This makes them stable at speed but handle like they are a mile long.  They also regularly have longer chainstays which are great for stability, but take all the fun out of a frame.  Then there is the shock tuning.  The goal of ANY suspension is to use it ALL at least a couple times EVERY time you ride.  In order to get a long travel bike to actually use the suspension you have to make it uber soft...in particular for our trails.  Once you do this, you will find that with every pedal stroke-even worse for you since you are strong and mash-that the whole suspension will load and unload.  This is a horrible waste of energy and feels ridiculous.  Right now it doesn't bug you, but it will.  

I get that you think you like pedaling on a slack, super long, cool ass big suspension bike now...and for that reason you should get one, I just want to make sure you do it used so that after you go nuts and realize it isn't right you can flip it and get what is.  The other option is to explain what you are feeling and see if you get it now to avoid that step.

The suspension loading on the Enduro's is WAY, WAY more pronounced than the bounce on a fat tire.  Fat tires have many disadvantages though, but one MONSTER advantage and that is confidence.  You can literally just ride it into shit and it will go over it.  It will make you a more capable rider faster than anything else, but at the cost of you won't truly learn you will just be able to do.  That being said if you are just starting off jumping and going over stuff that confidence is huge.  On that, generally speaking rear suspension has no influence on what you can go over or not.  That is all your body position.  Front can help, but also hurt.  Another generality with some riding competence you will be faster on a hard tail without front suspension in 99% of MN riding...I know you don't care about that, but wanted to point it out.  The other question is fun.  For me fun is directly correlated with weight.  It is a false correlation, but my confidence in clearing things goes up logarithmically as the weight goes down.  My old BMX bike weighed in at a hair under 13lbs.  I could bunny hop that thing a mile high.  Broke a ton of shit on it though...

2 minutes ago, dem beats said:

100% agree with everything you have said Sean.

If only you knew how many hardtails and fat bikes I've been on and continue to get on hoping that I would at least not hate it.  After every ride, I just think to myself that I would rather have an over built road or cyclocross bike.

I have a cyclocross bike that would fit you easy if you want to try one.  It has 26mm smoothies on it though as I use it as a long distance crushed granite cruiser.  It is an old school Trek touring bike that I've updated with modern SRAM stuff.