Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

I cannot burst through 295 for rack pulls.  At all.  I'm barely yanking that off the ground too so I've mostly stopped.

It suuuuuuuucks being this weak.  I am glad I can still push some weight at all but it's moving with way more effort and I'm way more worn out doing less reps.  Very humbling. 

:D

I generally don't do rack pulls.

Still do Deadlifts once a week.  Toned down the weight on them the last couple weeks, been doing pause rest training with them for sets of 10, timer set at 1 min between.

2 hours ago, nem said:

At least you are still lifting.

I have not touch anything since November.

Exactly the thankful mentality I'm trying to cultivate!

1 hour ago, nigel said:

I generally don't do rack pulls.

Still do Deadlifts once a week.  Toned down the weight on them the last couple weeks, been doing pause rest training with them for sets of 10, timer set at 1 min between.

I'm glad what's his name recently came out saying not to do deadlift unless your training to do deadlift.

I've all be cut them out completely and my back have grown much better, with less strain or injury.

I think they still provide some CNS type benefits at moderate to light weight though.

I have not been consistent with the weights, but I always have the bare minimum of 100 push-ups a day, soccer practice for the boys 1 or 2 nights a week, and my soccer games Sunday nights.  So I am trying to slowly roll some more weights back in.

2 hours ago, dem beats said:

I'm glad what's his name recently came out saying not to do deadlift unless your training to do deadlift.

I've all be cut them out completely and my back have grown much better, with less strain or injury.

I think they still provide some CNS type benefits at moderate to light weight though.

if you look at the context in that interview and his background for where he's coming from, the normal person should not go into the gym lifting like that.

As not being a competitor, pushing those 1 rep max where you're adding, and adding weight and sacrificing form trying to push past that physical limitation can be absolutely destructive to your body.  That being said it doesn't mean you can't see benefits from doing deadlifts.  They are a really good exercise with lots of benefits, when done properly, maintaining good form.

5 hours ago, dem beats said:

???

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

???

Robert oberst, he's a powerlifter or strongman or something.  Tore his bicep deadlifting chasing numbers as a competitor.  He was on a joe rogan podcast saying the deadlift has no use as a lift for anyone who doesn't compete in the deadlift.

8 minutes ago, nigel said:

Robert oberst, he's a powerlifter or strongman or something.  Tore his bicep deadlifting chasing numbers as a competitor.  He was on a joe rogan podcast saying the deadlift has no use as a lift for anyone who doesn't compete in the deadlift.

I gave up on heavy deadlifting years ago.  Haven't pulled past 4XX in years and the results are better with less stress.

I thought it was just my odd shape, but all the other lab rats I help don't even benefit from deadlifting as far as generic gainz 

5 hours ago, nigel said:

if you look at the context in that interview and his background for where he's coming from, the normal person should not go into the gym lifting like that.

As not being a competitor, pushing those 1 rep max where you're adding, and adding weight and sacrificing form trying to push past that physical limitation can be absolutely destructive to your body.  That being said it doesn't mean you can't see benefits from doing deadlifts.  They are a really good exercise with lots of benefits, when done properly, maintaining good form.

I did not see this post.  I didn't realise Robert had torn a bicep.  My concern is only lower back.  It's a really bad way to exercise the lower back at anything that is a "heavy" weight.

No one is showing me what the deadlift helps with, other than some kind of real CNS type benefits.  I'm just over it since I'm not going to compete at anything anytime soon.

I would pretty much stop benching as my main chest exercise too if I had a little more agility.  

People just stick with what they know because there is tradition and we really use the big 3 as strength tests.  

On 7/14/2019 at 8:13 PM, Tirefryr said:

Went to a co-worker's house today to listen to his Maggies.  They were incredible!  I found so much detail I was missing in so many songs.  I literally got goosebumps listening to these things. 

I'm making a plan on going to a local dealer's shop soon. I want a set for myself once I purchase a home.

J

45 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I did not see this post.  I didn't realise Robert had torn a bicep.  My concern is only lower back.  It's a really bad way to exercise the lower back at anything that is a "heavy" weight.

No one is showing me what the deadlift helps with, other than some kind of real CNS type benefits.  I'm just over it since I'm not going to compete at anything anytime soon.

I would pretty much stop benching as my main chest exercise too if I had a little more agility.  

People just stick with what they know because there is tradition and we really use the big 3 as strength tests.  

I don't deadlift, and have been skipping out on leg day for a while now. I need to do more, but for the time being I am just getting back into it.

J

On 7/15/2019 at 10:27 AM, ///M5 said:

Thanks Sean.

Siyiiny at the hospital.  My dad just got a pacemaker.  All trhu surgery ok

Glad he's recovering well. Hopefully it helps him out!!!

J

Also, pops is finally back home. Wanted go go out to camp this past weekend (less than 72 hrs after being sent home). Needless to say he thankfully did not feel up to going after all.  He hates the feeding tube as the nutrient shit takes forever and doesn't feel right for him. Misses real food and says he has lost so much muscle mass. Doesn't think he'll last past DEC either. I keep trying to be positive and reinforce that in him, but I'll be damned if this didn't kick his ass royally. Hate hearing him talking like this. I offered to come home for a bit and he adamantly denied that idea.

J

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

Try Barbell Medicine. It's some MDs who are in to lifting. They look to be specializing in pain science.

I feel like I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. Picking shit up off the floor is a common move for me (AKA deadlift). Squats pretty much work all the things.

50 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I don't deadlift, and have been skipping out on leg day for a while now. I need to do more, but for the time being I am just getting back into it.

J

I do rack pulls and bend my knees to just above a 90 degree bent and then hip thrust through.  

That plus lunges seem to be keeping my legs somewhat in shape.  All the walking though puts strain on any gains.  My outer quad is now really interesting.   

11 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

I feel like I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. Picking shit up off the floor is a common move for me (AKA deadlift). Squats pretty much work all the things.

There should never be a time where the tradition dead lift is your go to way of lifting objects.  If your interested in functional strength, get some natural or atlas stones.

14 hours ago, nigel said:

I disagree.  Its one of the best all around lifts in terms of the amount of muscles being engaged.  No, that does not mean get nutty, I never go over 315, heck I have only been doing 225 due to whats available at my house.

13 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Also, pops is finally back home. Wanted go go out to camp this past weekend (less than 72 hrs after being sent home). Needless to say he thankfully did not feel up to going after all.  He hates the feeding tube as the nutrient shit takes forever and doesn't feel right for him. Misses real food and says he has lost so much muscle mass. Doesn't think he'll last past DEC either. I keep trying to be positive and reinforce that in him, but I'll be damned if this didn't kick his ass royally. Hate hearing him talking like this. I offered to come home for a bit and he adamantly denied that idea.

J

Glad he is back home.

15 hours ago, dem beats said:

I do rack pulls and bend my knees to just above a 90 degree bent and then hip thrust through.  

That plus lunges seem to be keeping my legs somewhat in shape.  All the walking though puts strain on any gains.  My outer quad is now really interesting.   

Solid moves. I just have been having issues with my knees so long, I just am letting them rest.

J

2 hours ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Glad he is back home.

As am I. Now just to get him back to 100%

J

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Solid moves. I just have been having issues with my knees so long, I just am letting them rest.

J

I would argue that proper form in that movement would help rehab those knees but I'm not there to reinforce that behavior. 

Mother fucker.  Went to try to use the boat and it fucking shuts off randomly once on plane.  Almost like it looses power.  Aargh.  Haven't used it at all in 3 years, guess it is time to sell the POS.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, dem beats said:

I would argue that proper form in that movement would help rehab those knees but I'm not there to reinforce that behavior. 

I've worked with numerous physical therapists. It's a problem in the joint itself and the cartilage (or lack there of). I need to start training around it. Spent two hrs in the pool today swimming around, jumping, and getting active. I'll drop these extra lbs come hell or high water.

J

6 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Mother fucker.  Went to try to use the boat and it fucking shuts off randomly once on plane.  Almost like it looses power.  Aargh.  Haven't used it at all in 3 years, guess it is time to sell the POS.

Dirty carbs? I mean boat does tend to stand for 'Bust Out Another Thousand'.

J