Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On 9/24/2018 at 8:17 PM, Tirefryr said:

You're bleeding incorrectly.  Every time that pedal comes up in this scenario, you're pulling air into the system.

You need to pump the brakes until hard, hold the pedal, and have your helper open the bleeder valve until your foot goes to the floor.  Quickly close the valve and repeat the process.

Find the proper procedure for your particular vehicle.  They don't always go from furthest to closest, so you can easily introduce air, or not remove the air. 

Probably working on a friend's vehicle today. Searched back to find this advice. Will try it out today!

19 hours ago, nem said:

Thanks guys. :)

Went through some kidney testing and another KUB yesterday. Currently my kidney function is back to normal and the KUB shows no hidden kidney stones.  Hopefully all is back to normal.

Congrats on another trip around the local star and I hope you never have textured urine again.

:-D

9 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Probably working on a friend's vehicle today. Searched back to find this advice. Will try it out today!

If you're stuck by yourself I can tell you how to do that too.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:06 PM, Godsmack said:

I know, Nashville. I just tend to confuse the two as there are rumors of things being moved around more etc. Either way the point is the same.

J

Except no tours in nashville anymore though, no?

On 8/17/2019 at 7:56 AM, MKader17 said:

I bleed my sleds/bikes/wheeler differently.  Pump the fluid up from the caliper to the master cylinder.  Find it easiest to flush that way.  Push up and suck out until clean.  Amusingly I get to tomorrow perhaps as my brake lines aren't even on the Honda right now and I have some new stainless ones sitting on the work bench.  Neighbor brought me a rum at the beach....shut my night off.

2 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I bleed my sleds/bikes/wheeler differently.  Pump the fluid up from the caliper to the master cylinder.  Find it easiest to flush that way.  Push up and suck out until clean.  Amusingly I get to tomorrow perhaps as my brake lines aren't even on the Honda right now and I have some new stainless ones sitting on the work bench.  Neighbor brought me a rum at the beach....shut my night off.

Do they have floats and chambers in the MCs?  If so, you can never get all the old fluid and debris out.  This is the case with most modern automotive MCs.  I'm guessing the one's on the powersports are different given they are not power assist and relatively compact.  Even then, there's no guarantee you're getting it as clean as you would if you were using good old gravity to assist.

9 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

Do they have floats and chambers in the MCs?  If so, you can never get all the old fluid and debris out.  This is the case with most modern automotive MCs.  I'm guessing the one's on the powersports are different given they are not power assist and relatively compact.  Even then, there's no guarantee you're getting it as clean as you would if you were using good old gravity to assist.

No floats.  Super simple systems.  Started doing this on mountain bikes and relayed it to snowmobiles when I tried to do it the conventional way and it wouldn't bleed.  The MC is so small it doesn't pump enough fluid to move the air.  Not really possible to bleed them the normal way.  Realize it may never be super clean, but am not concerned.  Most people never flush theirs ever.  Mine get completely flushed (I extend the lines so I drain them completely to deal with my higher bars) and then from that point on out I just pump a little fresh fluid in to make sure that the fluid is in good condition.  When it is darker than new I pump it up until I only see new and call it a day.  Is it a perfect method?  Nope...but for what I am working on it works.

New cars are a bitch.  My Wilwoods bleed like shit.  I blame the anti-lock nonsense.  You will get a firm pedal and then bleed another and it all goes to hell.  Never gets how you want it.  I used the stupid Snapon tool to do it as well which fundamentally just dumped 4 qts of brake fluid into the receptacle and didn't get it all bled right.

I hear you on the powersports.  Makes total sense. 

In regards to your WIlwoods, it sounds like you're bleeding out of sequence and have air trapped.  Even with the ABS pump bleeding, you can still trap air.

48 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I hear you on the powersports.  Makes total sense. 

In regards to your WIlwoods, it sounds like you're bleeding out of sequence and have air trapped.  Even with the ABS pump bleeding, you can still trap air.

Nah.  Wilwoods suck.

The order is strange.  Tried that, conventional and confirmed with wilwood direct.  Brakes are fine for track but it was a waste of $4k on my truck.  

Contemplating spending another $3k to replace them with z06 brakes

Just pretty sure I don't want to spend 80k on a jeep

I wouldn't spend ANY money on a Jeep.

I have the worst luck bleeding brakes with a helper. Don’t know why. 

I get them fuckers rockhard bleeding them by myself. 

Put the Russell speed bleeders on the mustang and was stupid easy.

Added note is a pneumatic brake bleeder will not pull fluid through them.

Meanwhile in Springfield Missouri... Motherfuckers down here have no manners. I thought ppl out west were rude. 

10 hours ago, Tirefryr said:

I wouldn't spend ANY money on a Jeep.

Me neither, but the other options in the category are worse.  The Cayenne Turbo even is underwhelming.  Thought I wanted one of those until I drove my bosses for a few days.  The BMW X5M is a turd, the X6M somehow is made of unobtanium and I am sure is a mechanical nightmare.  Leaves the Trackhawk as the only non-Escalade option.  I am at a segue where I either need to drop $10k on my truck or get something new....and I've never been one to part ways with my money so easily.

Have seen brand new TH's at $20k off MSRP.  Ought to make a lease payment super affordable.

And be a bit fair on the Grand Cherokee.  It is a 15 year old Mercedes chassis with an American Pickup V8 drive train and wash/rinse/repeat interior electronics.  Ought of anything in the FIAT family I have the highest expectations it will survive.

If it were made by anyone else I would be more excited.  If the Aviator came with a V8 it'd be on my list as well.  Just not sure I want a T6 yet.

Coworker brought plague to work.  Now I has plague.

Free day off to get some things done and look for a new job.  Gotta stay positive!!!

I love my job i live my life, i love my job i love my life...