Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

46 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I have a bunch of other herbs hopefully landing here in a few days.  More salad, tomatoes and a bunch of things planted.   Until I have good root structure and enough plants I am sticking to the kratky method and then will turn on the hydro system.  Stuff for upgrading my RO system came yesterday so I can tackle that.  Going from el generic 50gpd to a 100gpd with pressure boost.  I assume I will need a larger storage tank as well, but wanted to see the flow without first.  Those are easy to add :)

I had switched up to 100 GPD and went back to a 50. About the only thing gained was quicker recovery time. Iirc the 100 didn’t drop the TDS and left more taste. Either way don’t forget to switch the flow restrictor to match. 
anytime I‘ve lost pressure it is because the post filter is plugged. That’s on a five stage RO. I had installed a booster pump for the ice machine but took it out and returned it as it was pointless, if everything is running correct and the inlet pressure is at least 60 pounds.
as far as hydro I just use the water straight out of the tap. Is only about 150-200 TDS depending on time of year. And nothing that throws the nutrient balance off. If it is being aerated and below 70° it should not go anaerobic before the next water change, if it is algae and bacteria you are worried about.

If you’re like me you do everything to the nine and then work backwards to the minimalist. I had originally started with running the water through a three stage carbon filter setup.

The other option I’ve seen people use is a plastic drum with a float as a storage tank. Those were big set ups that needed a lot of water all at once. I guess the question is how much water do you need all at once to do a reservoir change? And what’s the TDS of your water?

are you going to do high pressure aeroponics, deepwater culture, or ebb & flow? 

Not sure if you knew, but that Hydroton is reusable once disinfected.

The covid hit a prison here. 138 inmates confirmed as of this morning. A prison in the middle of nowhere at that.

I’m trying to get my compost game up this year. I grow a lot of vegetables in containers and the cost of soil adds up. The potatoes and carrots in 10 gallon pots really eat a lot. 

Literally this whole page speaks to me. my family is lucky enough that we now live on a couple acres and I would love to actually utilize the space. Gardening is always a black box to me. I would love to land the basics and get started

I'm seriously looking forward to getting into a house so I can do this. The girl would love fresh veggies and I wouldn't object either. I've been cleaning up the diet and am doing more meal prep. It will make work life easier as my days will be a tad unpredictable but microwaves are available in most of the spots I'll be working in.

In the mean time I've been flipping some guitars as I find worthwhile ones in pawn shops and such. Recently sold an Ibanez 8 string limited edition model for almost 3x what I had in to it. Today I found a 2017 Jackson that I should be able to make a few bucks on despite the nicks in the finish.

Finishing up a knock off Gibson LP Custom Shop for myself. Should look amazing when I'm done. Still looking for a Gibson LP bass though.

J

7 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

I had switched up to 100 GPD and went back to a 50. About the only thing gained was quicker recovery time. Iirc the 100 didn’t drop the TDS and left more taste. Either way don’t forget to switch the flow restrictor to match. 
anytime I‘ve lost pressure it is because the post filter is plugged. That’s on a five stage RO. I had installed a booster pump for the ice machine but took it out and returned it as it was pointless, if everything is running correct and the inlet pressure is at least 60 pounds.
as far as hydro I just use the water straight out of the tap. Is only about 150-200 TDS depending on time of year. And nothing that throws the nutrient balance off. If it is being aerated and below 70° it should not go anaerobic before the next water change, if it is algae and bacteria you are worried about.

If you’re like me you do everything to the nine and then work backwards to the minimalist. I had originally started with running the water through a three stage carbon filter setup.

The other option I’ve seen people use is a plastic drum with a float as a storage tank. Those were big set ups that needed a lot of water all at once. I guess the question is how much water do you need all at once to do a reservoir change? And what’s the TDS of your water?

are you going to do high pressure aeroponics, deepwater culture, or ebb & flow? 

We have a well.  Iron content and hardness are double the measured amount on most water tests.  The reason for the 100 gpd was two fold.  Adding an icemaker and carbonated water on tap.  Both require pressure and flow.  The other is it is easy to get a quality 100 that you can trust.  TDS I don't really care about as my goal isn't ultra pure, but safe and not tasting like eating a cast iron pan.  We will also pull 40gal at least on a big day, 80 if I have to fill the hydroponic.  

And yes, bought a built in TDS and a couple pressure gauges to watch.  The well fluctuations make the booster most likely a necessity.

As for the H, I built a flood and drain, but my initial setup I didn't account for monstrous root structures so I am going to modify it.  Have a big ass aquarium wrapped in wood with a structure I will put above.  Totally open to completly changing my ideas...

7 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

I’m trying to get my compost game up this year. I grow a lot of vegetables in containers and the cost of soil adds up. The potatoes and carrots in 10 gallon pots really eat a lot. 

I have ZERO sun in my yard.  Over an acre, but no place to even grow grass or plants.  Complete woods.  Considering the hydro setup will be indoors in our "sun room" which has a shit load of windows and a big arse grow light now.

23 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I'm seriously looking forward to getting into a house so I can do this. The girl would love fresh veggies and I wouldn't object either. I've been cleaning up the diet and am doing more meal prep. It will make work life easier as my days will be a tad unpredictable but microwaves are available in most of the spots I'll be working in.

In the mean time I've been flipping some guitars as I find worthwhile ones in pawn shops and such. Recently sold an Ibanez 8 string limited edition model for almost 3x what I had in to it. Today I found a 2017 Jackson that I should be able to make a few bucks on despite the nicks in the finish.

Finishing up a knock off Gibson LP Custom Shop for myself. Should look amazing when I'm done. Still looking for a Gibson LP bass though.

J

I have two I'd like to sell, where should I?

-82 Ibanez Roadstar RS440 with an 84 Floyd Rose 

-56 Gibson L4 Plectrum

Well I have 8, but those are the ones I don't want around

9 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

The covid hit a prison here. 138 inmates confirmed as of this morning. A prison in the middle of nowhere at that.

Shared air circulation

Once it gets into a living unit, it'll spread like wildfire.  No getting ahead of it. Isolate the unit.

We've been playing these exact what if contingency scenarios at work for the last 2 months.

It's going to suck major balls.

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

We have a well.  Iron content and hardness are double the measured amount on most water tests.  The reason for the 100 gpd was two fold.  Adding an icemaker and carbonated water on tap.  Both require pressure and flow.  The other is it is easy to get a quality 100 that you can trust.  TDS I don't really care about as my goal isn't ultra pure, but safe and not tasting like eating a cast iron pan.  We will also pull 40gal at least on a big day, 80 if I have to fill the hydroponic.  

And yes, bought a built in TDS and a couple pressure gauges to watch.  The well fluctuations make the booster most likely a necessity.

As for the H, I built a flood and drain, but my initial setup I didn't account for monstrous root structures so I am going to modify it.  Have a big ass aquarium wrapped in wood with a structure I will put above.  Totally open to completly changing my ideas...

I should’ve guessed you had a well. All bets are off. 
Are you’re building something like this? https://hydrobuilder.com/hydroponics/complete-hydroponic-grow-systems/aeroponics/super-closet-superponics-16-plant-hydroponic-grow-system.html

I’ve seen a lot of people build them out of large Tupperware totes.

15 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Literally this whole page speaks to me. my family is lucky enough that we now live on a couple acres and I would love to actually utilize the space. Gardening is always a black box to me. I would love to land the basics and get started

Best get to tilling. :D

14 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I have ZERO sun in my yard.  Over an acre, but no place to even grow grass or plants.  Complete woods.  Considering the hydro setup will be indoors in our "sun room" which has a shit load of windows and a big arse grow light now.

Sounds like a good place to start some berry patches, if there is at least dappled light. or perhaps asparagus. Pretty sure carrots and quite a few leafy vegetables will grow in shade as well.

15 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

I should’ve guessed you had a well. All bets are off. 
Are you’re building something like this? https://hydrobuilder.com/hydroponics/complete-hydroponic-grow-systems/aeroponics/super-closet-superponics-16-plant-hydroponic-grow-system.html

I’ve seen a lot of people build them out of large Tupperware totes.

I built something more like an NFT initially but using 1/2" pvc thinking I could flood and drain it.  No place for roots in that plan so I either need to swap up my plan or ...

6 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

Sounds like a good place to start some berry patches, if there is at least dappled light. or perhaps asparagus. Pretty sure carrots and quite a few leafy vegetables will grow in shade as well.

When you say berries, what do you mean.  I love the idea of speckling in food all throughout my yard.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:22 PM, ///M5 said:

Ok, not 1000%.  Here is what we started just a couple weeks ago.

Oyster mushrooms

risdzcA.jpg

Basil plant I have looted about 10 times along with my first lettuce from seed, a solitary dill plant, green onions from a few days back and romaine from 3 days ago.  Have a shit pile of seeds on the counter germinating.  All that shit I had at home already.

IrMagJM.jpg

You had me at mushrooms. 

I wanted to start a mushroom business for the longest time.  I just saw one took up several shelves at the local grocery store. I was furious  

17 hours ago, nigel said:

Shared air circulation

Once it gets into a living unit, it'll spread like wildfire.  No getting ahead of it. Isolate the unit.

We've been playing these exact what if contingency scenarios at work for the last 2 months.

It's going to suck major balls.

Keep your immune up. Prioritize sleep above absolutely everything else when you go back. 

We will all be introduced at some point just minimize your risk. 

22 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I have two I'd like to sell, where should I?

-82 Ibanez Roadstar RS440 with an 84 Floyd Rose 

-56 Gibson L4 Plectrum

Reverb is a great marketplace for selling guitars and used by many dealers. However they do take a decent chunk of the money. You also tend to compete with said guitar shops on there when making the sale.

Ebay (IMO) is the easiest and best way to maximize your profits. Solid photos get them sold easily if the price is fair. They don't need to be studio quality, just detailed. Package the hell out of it and insure it.

The final option is one I rarely use. Take it in to a local guitar shop. Sam Ashe is my favorite spot if I'm selling a guitar. They'll give you about 4/5 of their selling price on trade or slightly less in cash. That 56 would gain a good bit.

If you'd be interested in a single buyer I can put you in touch with Diablo Guitars from out in Washington. Parker Lundgren (rhythm guitarist of Queensryche) is the owner and he makes more than reasonable offers on guitars.

J

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

When you say berries, what do you mean.  I love the idea of speckling in food all throughout my yard.

Blackberries and boysenberries flourish in lower light from what I have seen. Damn tasty too. 

J

3 hours ago, dem beats said:

You had me at mushrooms. 

I wanted to start a mushroom business for the longest time.  I just saw one took up several shelves at the local grocery store. I was furious  

You can still do it. The organic crowd go insane for them. I know down here we only have a few shops that have anything besides button and shiitake mushrooms, and the ones that do sell them REALLY quickly. You can also partner with local higher end restaurants to sell there.

J

Picked up some local beer this afternoon.

Grabbed some cans of a Belgian style stout, a brown ale and an Amber ale.

So far I've tried the stout and the brown.  Damn delicious.

10 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I built something more like an NFT initially but using 1/2" pvc thinking I could flood and drain it.  No place for roots in that plan so I either need to swap up my plan or ...

With a larger size PVC you should be able to use the baskets you have.

I would probably attempt a high pressure Aeroponic mister style setup. Not that I’m suggesting it. I just think they are cool. Is how they grew vegetables in space iirc. I’ve always been intrigued with NFT too. Especially on commercial setups hooked to fish hatchery’s for the nutrient water. 

About the only vegetable I have a desire to grow indoors hydroponically is wasabi. That’s probably more for the challenge though.