Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

8 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Around here the wild berries grow like crazy in the woods as well.  I've done a fair amount of gathering.  Just hadn't thought about it in our yard.  That changes this year.  The asparagus is a great idea.  Hell in Europe they cover it with plastic so that no chlorphyll develops.  Leafy shit I wonder how fast the deer would decimate.  If so, I guess I feed nature.  I ahve a ton of lettuce seeds germinating.  Guess I will plant them oustide and see!

If you're drawing them in, is bow hunting an option in those woods? You might have a friend who would give ya some venison in exchange for hunting permission?

J

11 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Beautiful dog. Great Pyrenees?

We were told she was a husky, but she outgrew that. Acts a lot like a German Shepherd, looks Great Pyrenees and Malamute

58 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

We were told she was a husky, but she outgrew that. Acts a lot like a German Shepherd, looks Great Pyrenees and Malamute

Gorgeous pup

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

If you're drawing them in, is bow hunting an option in those woods? You might have a friend who would give ya some venison in exchange for hunting permission?

J

I live in th city and a bow is considered a fire arm.  Something that makes it fall in place however yields meat

If I want meat though I can almost grab turkeys and tackle deer at my bil's house.  They are fed better there too

On 4/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, ///M5 said:

I know...but then 50gal of hydro fluid won't last for shit on flood & drain.  The pvc will hold a crap ton of liquid.  Obviously misting solves that concern as you point out but then NFT is pretty much a lazy mister.  My water supply is laready a fish tank...

Are you after a continuous flow?... or trying to fill the circuit and cycle periodically?

21 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Chickens are outlawed in our bylaws...but I have a bunch of neighbors who would like to see me bulid a coop :)

Our original adjacent neighbors were avid bird lovers so was good. I pretty much greeted the new folks that moved in with a carton of eggs. Lol They have a three and five-year-old boy that are as fascinated as can be with them, so that helps too.

Added a new door and staining the chicken coop as we speak. :D

16 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I could see the Great Pyrenees and Malamute. We have a German shepherd Pyrenees mix. The docile chill demeanor near that deer screams Great Pyrenees. Haha

15 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I live in th city and a bow is considered a fire arm.  Something that makes it fall in place however yields meat

Lake city sleeping pills baby! The more grams the better. 

If you care enough to send it, send the very best.

Edited by dem beats

19 minutes ago, j-roadtatts said:

Added a new door and staining the chicken coop as we speak. :D

That door was epic 

1 hour ago, j-roadtatts said:

Are you after a continuous flow?... or trying to fill the circuit and cycle periodically?

Originally was going to fill every few hours and then drain 10min later.  Obviously at this point I can't do that.  Assume the tank, pump, aeroator that I have would transition to NFT the best.  Haven't enough plants to need the transition yet, so it is a great time to spitball!

I am after low maintenance and great food.  The rest I am not so worried about.

20 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Well damn. I figured with that kind of land and trees you were in the country.

20 hours ago, ///M5 said:

If I want meat though I can almost grab turkeys and tackle deer at my bil's house.  They are fed better there too

Well damn. There ya go then. Nothing like fresh venison.

J

Country, lol.  I am 20min from the Minneapolis airport.  Not the "city" per se, but one could easily argue that we have the best school system in the complete metro and state of MN so not rural by any means.  Just happen to live on a big ole lake.

12 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Originally was going to fill every few hours and then drain 10min later.  Obviously at this point I can't do that.  Assume the tank, pump, aeroator that I have would transition to NFT the best.  Haven't enough plants to need the transition yet, so it is a great time to spitball!

The only system I’ve dealt with like that was my BIL’s Deepwater culture setup. It required two 55 gallon drums of nutrient water. When the water was in the field there was less than half a drum left. The field being sixteen 5 gallon buckets, so probably 65-70 gallons. In that system the water would stay in the field and be cycled every six or eight hours. At the end of the circuit there was a control bucket with an electronic float that controlled the pump and water level. As he was on well water, also required having two additional 55 gallon drums full of RO water ready at res change time. He used the blue plastic drums they ship fruit in. Lastly ended up requiring an expensive water chiller to keep the water from going anaerobic. The returns were obviously greater so made sense.

You could easily get away without the water chiller as the temps won’t be as high. Also will help if the res is sitting on cold concrete. If you did the 4” PVC twenty feet long and filled half way, it would be roughly 26 gallons in the field. So not bad. Would need about a 35-40 gallon res or so to keep the pump covered.

The other style being a tray setup, like the one I linked. Which is easily built out of Rubbermaid tub or a botanical tray with a lid and what you probably already have. Could also do a second tank as a reservoir, so you don’t have to disturb the roots to change the water.

I personally am not a big fan of how delicate exposed roots are. I do mine in pots full of perlite and build a manifold to top feed. The pots are in a tray that drains into the reservoir. I water 20 minutes every three hours. They can easily withstand 80° for the better part of the day if there is a water malfunction. 

The biggest reason I am infatuated with aeroponics is the dissolved oxygen aspect. Is the unicorn to plant roots. More specifically the microbes in the rhizosphere transforming the raw nutrients to material the plant can use. If the water temp is under preferably 65°, 70° tops and has the maximum possible 6% dissolved oxygen. Those plants are going to go ape shit, If everything else is in balance. Haha So yeah anytime you can introduce a waterfall it helps in any system. 

Anyways there’s some late night ramblings to give you food for thought. How big of footprint do you have to work with? 

13 hours ago, dem beats said:

That door was epic 

Thanks Matt! 

I’ll post up a pic in the morning of the final product.

6 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

The only system I’ve dealt with like that was my BIL’s Deepwater culture setup. It required two 55 gallon drums of nutrient water. When the water was in the field there was less than half a drum left. The field being sixteen 5 gallon buckets, so probably 65-70 gallons. In that system the water would stay in the field and be cycled every six or eight hours. At the end of the circuit there was a control bucket with an electronic float that controlled the pump and water level. As he was on well water, also required having two additional 55 gallon drums full of RO water ready at res change time. He used the blue plastic drums they ship fruit in. Lastly ended up requiring an expensive water chiller to keep the water from going anaerobic. The returns were obviously greater so made sense.

You could easily get away without the water chiller as the temps won’t be as high. Also will help if the res is sitting on cold concrete. If you did the 4” PVC twenty feet long and filled half way, it would be roughly 26 gallons in the field. So not bad. Would need about a 35-40 gallon res or so to keep the pump covered.

The other style being a tray setup, like the one I linked. Which is easily built out of Rubbermaid tub or a botanical tray with a lid and what you probably already have. Could also do a second tank as a reservoir, so you don’t have to disturb the roots to change the water.

I personally am not a big fan of how delicate exposed roots are. I do mine in pots full of perlite and build a manifold to top feed. The pots are in a tray that drains into the reservoir. I water 20 minutes every three hours. They can easily withstand 80° for the better part of the day if there is a water malfunction. 

The biggest reason I am infatuated with aeroponics is the dissolved oxygen aspect. Is the unicorn to plant roots. More specifically the microbes in the rhizosphere transforming the raw nutrients to material the plant can use. If the water temp is under preferably 65°, 70° tops and has the maximum possible 6% dissolved oxygen. Those plants are going to go ape shit, If everything else is in balance. Haha So yeah anytime you can introduce a waterfall it helps in any system. 

Anyways there’s some late night ramblings to give you food for thought. How big of footprint do you have to work with? 

Ha, you did the same calc I did.  4" pvc creates the other problem that once you drill holes in it for the planting cups, it doesn't hold much water.  I almost think 6" is necessary.  I will never be able to fill a 6" reservoir wise.  6" and NFT is going to be easy though...I already have 6" PVC in the garage which doesn't hurt.  The platform that the tank is in is about 6' long.

I didn't choose NFT at first because I was worried about how I take care of seedlings.  Had no idea the Kratke jar method worked so well.  I'd prefer to not have a bunch of vertical due to the lighting and it is in a living space in our house.  The pink light I have is also starting to wear on me.  Maybe time for T5 LED's.

There is some natural light in the room as it is our "sun room", but it is pretty minimal.

17 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Thanks Matt! 

I’ll post up a pic in the morning of the final product.

Truely gorgeous work my guy. 

I am curious; why are so many against going virtual for orientation?

J

I feel like I need some context

16 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Ha, you did the same calc I did.  4" pvc creates the other problem that once you drill holes in it for the planting cups, it doesn't hold much water.  I almost think 6" is necessary.  I will never be able to fill a 6" reservoir wise.  6" and NFT is going to be easy though...I already have 6" PVC in the garage which doesn't hurt.  The platform that the tank is in is about 6' long.

I feel dumb. When I estimated, I went long hand. And when I went for the circumference I did a 4” radius. Doh
Found a sweet calculator that does displacement of liquid in a horizontal cylinder based on depth. https://www.mathopenref.com/cylindervolpartial.html 

Twenty feet of 6” Filled 4” deep is only 21 gallons. That should be easy peezy. How big is your fish tank?